Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I bought a $10 set of soccer shin guards from Mr. Bezos... they protect the bone from the pedal smacking monsters. They're in a box now, no longer needed, so don't overspend. Another rider fashioned some protection from aluminum and foam... I was thinking you could even tape a thick magazine around your leg "world war z" style.

BTW, the Leatts are the most popular accessory for protecting your knees... I can't stress enough how well they work and how absolutely necessary they are. You really need something that won't slip off, and that you can fall right on your knees from a standing position without injury. Stuff continues to happen, even after thousands of miles of experience.

I did the same thing with some of that 1/2 floor foam you can get everywhere after bruising my foot bad! Cut and wrapped around my shins then duct tape, cheap hack but kept riding until my LEATT arrived.

Thanks All - I will work on my homemade shin protectors!  Yesterday...  I will make a short story even shorter - I ended up in the mud!  I was (am) pretty disappointed in myself. I thought once I allowed myself to go on the street - I would take off! NOPE! I went about the same distance as most other 'rides' - about 50 - 75 feet or so :(  It was really cold and I didn't stay out long.  I'm still not feeling 100% and afraid to exert myself too much - especially with the Holidays looming.  

ANYWAY - can we discuss helmets? I have already ordered and returned a couple.  I personally would likely not wear a helmet at all were it not for the fact that I spent the last 14 months having lots of dental work done!  I am pretty sure that if the helmet is too hot - I won't wear it!  I am eyeballing this Bell Super 3R -  IF I am able to insert some BT speakers AND there is plenty of ventilation, I think I can make myself wear it.  Your experience appreciated!

1 hour ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

ANYWAY - can we discuss helmets? I have already ordered and returned a couple.  I personally would likely not wear a helmet at all were it not for the fact that I spent the last 14 months having lots of dental work done!  I am pretty sure that if the helmet is too hot - I won't wear it!  I am eyeballing this Bell Super 3R -  IF I am able to insert some BT speakers AND there is plenty of ventilation, I think I can make myself wear it.  Your experience appreciated!

That Bell Helmet is quite expensive - you don't have to spend quite that much to get decent levels of comfort and protection - remember helmets need replacing after every impact in theory ! 'Land of Enchantment' doesn't give much away about the weather, but if it is cold regularly, I wouldn't go open face helmet; you want a visor, especially when you are no longer beginning and go a bit faster and wind-face / aerodynamics becomes a thing...

I tried 3 helmets before I found the right one - 2 sub 100 dollar full face MC helmets (both too heavy, and whilst well built, failed in critical aspects), 1 mid-price double-visor front lift full face MC helmet (waaaay heavy, wouldn't stay open!) and then did what I should have done in the first place, which is just get the TSG Pass Pro, and job done. It's a longboard helmet, so is lighter, less padded, but not much less effective than heavyweight MC helmets.

image.png.2a0bee127a857286bf5d5ac995476547.png

A TSG Pass Pro, earlier.

Light, amazing field of view, doesn't fog much, comes with 2 visors (clear + darkened / chrome), nice padding, very high quality standards. Mirrors mount to it nicely. Comes in a lovely bag ! :)  Only downer is the trad style double D-ring fastener, which is hard with leather gloves on, but remains the original / safest / best fastening method there is. Oh, and it's a bit pricey. But nowhere near AS pricey as the Predator, which is its only real competition, but even so...

Having said that, I like the Storm one above too, certainly style-wise, and that peak will keep the sun out of your eyes in a way that the TSG won't (no peak)... what I do though is wear shades under the helmet and ride around with the visor raised, where it acts something like a peak, if you see what I mean... that's excellent for bright sunny days, when you can get double contrast and sun-shading.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

It is currently pretty hot here down in the Southern Hemisphere and I wear a Fox Proframe helmet when riding because it allows heaps of air through.  I haven't tried inserting BT speakers, instead I have a JBL Flip 6 hanging from my backpack strap - this works way better than the EUC speakers, mainly because it is much closer to my ears.

On 11/17/2022 at 8:21 AM, Paul A said:

These are a must .I had a high speed crash 35Mph+ with full gear other than hip protection .I ended up with extreme road rash on my hip this will be my addition once spring hits in a few months 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 6:31 PM, Grandpa_Jay said:

...I went about the same distance as most other 'rides' - about 50 - 75 feet or so :(...

Don't get down on yourself. You're just doing what you have been doing on the court. I think the mind and body get used to short hops when learning in a confined space, and when that time/distance comes up, you get wobbly, lol.

Just enjoy the holidays, and when you get back on, try to pick a point beyond whatever distance you are riding. Focus on getting there. If you feel like you have it in the bag, look further down the road, pick a new just a bit further.

Soon enough, your thoughts will change to "where am I going to stop."

Happy holidays, all.

Edited by h00ktern
Sp correction
  • Upvote 2

On 12/15/2022 at 6:36 PM, Jkay said:

Think my V12 just ate a stupid electron.  While riding in my driveway at about 6-7 mph it said “Get Off”. Then went full bow down till it touched the ground, then the tire starts spinning (I guess) full speed and the lady inside said “Be Careful “.  Turned off while holding it off the ground.  Just emailed eWheels, hope it is a minor whack in the head for it to behave! 

Well as a brief follow up on my V12HT with indigestion,  I contacted eWheels with my problem and within 6 hours Jason responded & told me to do a recalibration, which seems to have solved my problem.  Don’t know what the root cause is/was but for now back to being well behaved.  Is is possible that it just got bored riding in circles ?  Full forward was its way of encouraging me to the open road?  But another 2 hours of circling inside my shop area and it has been just fine.
 As soon as this uber-cold weather passes I will go to the park and ride a bit.  Our town has a Christmas display in the park that people pay to visit, didn’t think I would become the town council’s darling by riding through a huge Christmas display  under marginal control. Gotta watch ole men with only one wheel!

Condolences on the winter weather that you guys on the other side of the world have to currently contend with.  Here in New Zealand it is summer and I'm planning on riding my RS to the other side of the city because Xmas dinner will be at my sister's place (should be around 18 people there, so I can catch up with some family that I only see once a year mostly).  Before I moved to the city I wasn't getting enough riding opportunities, it was so bad that after 2 years I still hadn't hit 1,000km on my wheel.  I was in a small town with not really anywhere interesting to ride to and almost all of my riding involved putting the wheel in the car and taking it somewhere.  Now that I've moved to the city, I'm riding a lot more and I've now past the 1,000km milestone - this experience has made a huge difference to my riding ability & confidence.  There just isn't any substitute for experience when it comes to riding an electric wheel!

When I first got my wheel it was mid-spring and the weather was pretty good (not wet like winter/spring this year has been) and I was practising every day for the first couple of weeks of receiving the wheel. This got my abilities up quickly and I used those abilities to go on rides which gained me some good experience.  Now I use my wheel several times each week, going on rides, going shopping, etc.  The day before yesterday I went on my longest ride ever, 67.5km of riding and I had the battery percentage drop below 10% (which made me quite nervous), this makes me look forward even more to my new wheel arriving which will give me double the range.  A few days ago I also hit a new record for top speed, hitting 61.5kph.  Regular riding is what helps me to hit new records, if you want to get better at riding and more comfortable on the wheel you need to ride as much as you can.

• Like 2

Merry Christmas Everyone!  I thought it would be fitting to get my first 'ride' in before the new year! I made it from my house to the highway before bailing!! Not that far, but on the road, around the corner and around the bend !!  I actually was NOT feeling it when I kept pushing myself to go faster.  Once I slowed it down to the speed I had been doing my short hops I felt in control.  I was just getting that feeling when it was time to turn around - highway ahead and cars behind me.  I headed back home and wiped out in the middle of the street just before the left turn! No injuries.  I am able to free mount most of the time now.  So I dusted myself off and went one more 'ride' - a little further, the other direction when MY WHEEL BEEPED AT ME!!! Three Beeps - I was not sure why, but it was a bit aggravating - I was just starting to feel it! But, it was almost time to turn around anyway, RR crossing ahead.  So I rode it back to the house and that was it!!  My first ride and I didn't have an App running to record it!  

I THINK??? the wheel beeped at me because I reached a high speed??  It was certainly the fastest I had been.  I do not know for certain, but I think I remember seeing in World App that it would alarm at 6.?mph again at?? and third at 12.?mph. There seemed to be no way to change these limits much beyond that. The wheel beeped three times and I slowed immediately.   While writing this, I logged into the wheel with World App and Kingsong App. The max speed limit has been increased !  Thoughts?

Can anyone point me i the direction of a thread or something that discusses how to set up and use World App and/or Kingsong App?  

I am so close to actually riding I can almost feel it!! I still don't have a full face helmet.  I have another paid for, but no tracking yet. I hope this one fits!  Thanks also for the BT Speaker idea! I had ordered BT speakers for a helmet, but I have now also ordered a clip on speaker. 

Video Clip before going on the road... Christmas 2022

Edited by Grandpa_Jay
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Merry Christmas to you as well. Euc world can be found here : https://euc.world/

Its the one i use and works well with inmotion wheels but not sure about kingsong. Great to hear that you are making progress and it seems a "ride around town" is very near. Thanks for the update.

23 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Three Beeps - I was not sure why, but it was a bit aggravating

Merry Xmas.

KS wheels have a speed limit for about the first (10km or 10miles?) before it unlocks and allows for higher speeds.

A safety feature to protect beginners.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul A said:

Merry Xmas.

KS wheels have a speed limit for about the first (10km or 10miles?) before it unlocks and allows for higher speeds.

A safety feature to protect beginners.

I was at about 26, 27 miles when this happened and (t looks like) my speed limit was finally lifted.  So perhaps you have to show the wheel that you are capable also??  I was not even going to ask about the speed limits, why, or how to change it until I was much more capable - but the beeps scared me a bit!  I have really not found much of an explanation of what all the beeping means - I don't think the S18 talks? and it has NO display at all.  I hear all these horror stories of beeping and then face planting so I was taking no chances. I don't know that I would have even heard that if a car had been near! Or a loud cow!

Edited by Grandpa_Jay
fix Typo's

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I’m not sure if the speed limit goes up automatically after you have reached the required beginner’s miles, so you might have to do it manually.

In my case - after this incident where it beeped - the speed limits were then approximately doubled automatically.  I had tried to raise the limits, just to see if I could, a few days ago - when I was at around 25 miles and I could lower but not raise the limits (with World App) I don't remember if I tried with the KS App.

At least now I know I won't be beeping due to breaking speed limits for a while!

Edited by Grandpa_Jay
  • Upvote 1

I’m guessing it’s the same as my 16x, in the ks app i started with progressive alarms starting at 12mph,13,14, and tilt back at 15. Now I have tilt back at 24 and I get a loud “Please Decelerate “ over the speakers. Set your tilt low so you can feel it and understand how it feels, ks wheels are inherently safe I hear.

2A9D1556-620D-40EC-A804-284291E2E931.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Crab said:

I’m guessing it’s the same as my 16x, in the ks app i started with progressive alarms starting at 12mph,13,14, and tilt back at 15. Now I have tilt back at 24 and I get a loud “Please Decelerate “ over the speakers. Set your tilt low so you can feel it and understand how it feels, ks wheels are inherently safe I hear.

2A9D1556-620D-40EC-A804-284291E2E931.png

Funny thing - my ks18xl ignores first and second alarm. (It doesn't make any noise. Only in app shows orange/red color in speedometer.) Even doh i have set them as "on". My alarm starts only at 3rd. (Don't ask my how i found that out.. I had them set at 20-25-30 at the beginning. I thought i was riding 20, but in reality i was going 30.) :D:D It seemed i was going to fast to be first alarm.. At home i tried freespin test and alarm only started at 3rd speed setting.

I personally set tiltback at very top 50 km/h - so i never have to feel it. I use EUC world + original alarms.

First alarm i have quiet beeps, second alarm is very loud beeps that you can't miss ever. And 3rd alarm is original wheel alarm voice+beeps. It goes batshit crazy with beeps and voice. :D I normally slow down at second alarm. First quiet beeps i sometimes ignore.. 38/42/50 km/h are my alarms. Anything over 44 it goes batshit crazy with alarms. I mostly ride ~35 anyways. Rarely go over 40.

Edited by Funky

55 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I don't remember if I tried with the KS App.

I use the kingsong app. To set the alarms log on to the app and into your wheel via bluetooth. Press the speed setting button, accept the details about safety etc, you will be at a page that gives you your different levels. As previously stated in this thread this will show the first, second, third and pedal tiltback. I have mine set up as 15mph,20mph,25mph and tiltback at 27Mph. Its important to have a few miles per hour difference between the levels so you can hear the difference between them all. This enables you to hear how fast you are going without needing to look at anything. Going over 28Mph is considered risky on the S18 hence why I have the tiltback at 27. Also going at these kind of speeds makes it very hard to hear the beeps due to wind noise. Although the tiltback is set at 27Mph the software will dynamically adjust this to stop you over powering your wheel at lower speeds due to battery level, and power draw (inclines/headwinds). Other folk may use other apps or apps on phones/watches to see their speed etc.