Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

Helmet... I had been waiting for mine to arrive. If finally did. I hadn't been to worried as I have not come close to actually riding yet. I have other helmets, but anyway - my white helmet arrives, but there is no way I can wear my prescription eyeglasses with the helmet!  I guess it may be a blessing in disguise? It was a very cool, but cheap, china helmet.  Every motorcycle type helmet I have worn has a place in the foam for the arms of your glasses to go through the padding and allows ones glasses to sit somewhere close to the correct position on ones face to see. Not this helmet! The cut out is about even with my EYEBROWS!  My only full face helmet now is a heavy motorcycle helmet. 1, I think it is overkill no faster than I will be going. 2, it is too HOT! If it's too hot, I won't wear it. I know I must find something - my BT Bike helmet is not full face.  

ALSO - person that said they taught EUC riding using canes... I will try to find your name and edit this.  I tried again with my two canes inside the house. I now feel pretty good with the two canes. I can stay on the wheel for an extended period of time (?20+ minutes? or more) and can navigate anywhere I need to go. My balance and stability feels much improved from the last time I tried with the canes. I am also able to get around the house, with much more effort, with only one cane - but I cannot stay on the wheel for as long now. SO - a couple of questions to you as I am seeing how this could work!?!?  So - in your training, now what? I think I am getting the feel of the wheel - now what.  My first minutes at the tennis court. I took off with my two canes and got a few seconds of air time but then I bailed! and my wheel went tumbling end over end as I watched holding my stupid canes!   Which brings me to my next question - what kind of canes do you use, or recommend?  I was wondering if a pair of walking sticks might work well? My canes seem just a bit short - walking sticks look like they have a wrist strap of some sort that might allow grabbing the wheel upon dismount? AND they look longer at 51 inches.  I was thinking of giving this a try and wondered your (or others) experience?

4 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

person that said they taught EUC riding using canes

That would be winterwheel that said that.  Great to hear you are feeling more stable. I would think you are ready to practice mounting and riding a short distance without the assistance of anything. It will train your brain to react to different wheel movements so you learn to counteract them to keep it upright. You probably don't need a full faced helmet at this stage, maybe get a cheap skate helmet. It's what i have been using. Chances are you won't be face planting at such low speeds so i wouldn't worry about protecting your face. Also if you aren't holing anything in your hand you can grab the euc when you dismount so it doesn't go tumbling. Thanks for the update, i feel it will "click" for you very soon.

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

In solidarity with your first attempts at 'rolling free' I will post this short video from way back when I first started, showing how ridiculously pleased I was to finally manage to go 50 yards unassisted at 5 kph ! :)

Unlike my previously-uninformed self, WEAR YOUR WRIST GUARDS. Just a week after that video, in which I carried on, blissfully assuming I didn't need any, I went over a massive pot-hole and cut-out in Dover docks, hyper-extended both wrists, and couldn't work in the function band earning my living for 3 months !! From that point on I never once got on that wheel without them, yet was still taught the importance of all the other armour by what got hurt in subsequent incidents - quickly I added boots and knee pads and shin guards !

I did my learning backwards.. I firstly learned to free mount. And only after that i started to ride.

In my mind i thought one should learn to mount the damn thing first, before riding. :D Because naturally you will need to stop and dismount. :D 

But because of that - the first time i started to go forwards, i had almost no problems. I still used my hands to "ballance", but i was already going left/right in circles. (No falling off, or unwanted dismounts..) Doh i did a belly flop once on ground, when i drove in sand "indent/hole". But afterwards - nothing.

Doh looking back, if i first tried to ride while holding something, etc.. I may have learned to ride much, much faster. It took me 4 days, each day 15-20 min trying to free mount the wheel. Before i could do it.  (My problem was  - wasn't leaning forwards enough.. Wheel wasn't going forwards. As soon i stepped on with both feet, i stepped off.)

I started right from the hardest thing - free mounting, before even trying to ride. :D Riding was very easy, compared to trying to mount it.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Rich_D said:

I have been eyeing the inmotion V12 as it was recommended as a good starter wheel that I can grow into with experience. 

I like the V12 a lot. But I learnt first on Begode T3 before I move to the V12. The V12 is 64 lbs. Whereas, the T3 weighs 50 lbs. Only about 14 lbs difference. But it took me quite a lot of time to adapt to the V12. The V12 has 3 things that makes it harder to learn than typical lighter wheels. One is weight, of course. Second is high pedal height, although adjustable. And lastly, gyro effects. This will make turning less intuitive. Some people can learn on it. While others cannot. If you are on the taller and heavier side, and already have a good sense of balance, it could be doable. Should you get it, and discover that you are progressing too slowly, you may want change to a lighter wheel.

Interesting you should say that because I’ve been watching one of my buddies learn to ride a Sherman from scratch, and it was kind of painful watching him. He’s doing good now, but some hard falls.

55 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I like the V12 a lot. But I learnt first on Begode T3 before I move to the V12. The V12 is 64 lbs. Whereas, the T3 weighs 50 lbs. Only about 14 lbs difference. But it took me quite a lot of time to adapt to the V12. The V12 has 3 things that makes it harder to learn than typical lighter wheels. One is weight, of course. Second is high pedal height, although adjustable. And lastly, gyro effects. This will make turning less intuitive. Some people can learn on it. While others cannot. If you are on the taller and heavier side, and already have a good sense of balance, it could be doable. Should you get it, and discover that you are progressing too slowly, you may want change to a lighter wheel.

Thanks. Dually noted. 

Unfortunately I don't have the funds to get a smaller lighter wheel now and a V12 later as this will probably be a one and done for me. I live in a small community where selling one of these will be an issue if I did decide to upgrade. The other option was an S18 but I think it's as big and heavy as the V12

I am 5' 11" and 190lbs so I'm thinking size and weight shouldn't be a huge problem but we will see once I get it and try it. 

I like @Funky idea of learning to mount the wheel before learning to ride it. Makes perfect sense to me. 

Edited by Rich_D
Spelling

28 minutes ago, Rich_D said:

I like @Funky idea of learning to mount the wheel before learning to ride it. Makes perfect sense to me. 

But i did say, if i have tried to ride first.. I would have not gotten that problem - where wheel didn't want to go forwards. :D I stepped on/off the wheel for 4 days..

At 4th day i said DUCK IT!! and did superman lean forwards. That right there did the trick for me. Afterwards i knew i wasn't leaning forwards enough. The superman lean got me going.

If i tried to ride first. I may have figured that faster.. I may have been riding the first day already. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rich_D said:

I have been eyeing the inmotion V12

Welcome to the forums Rich_D. I think that would be a good choice. I have the v11 and it was super easy to learn on but quickly found myself wanting just a little more speed and the v12 has that. The v11 is 65lbs also but you don't really even notice that if you have never ridden a smaller wheel. Good luck on whatever you choose. There is a lot of good info in this thread for learning.

2 hours ago, Funky said:

I firstly learned to free mount. And only after that i started to ride.

That's the I do lessons also. For most beginners the riding comes fairly easily, it's mounting and dismounting that are the the problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich_D said:

I suppose you can try that and see how you get on with that. But don't be worried should you decide to go the other route.

My opinion is to learn to ride first. At least to the level where you have at least some balance.  

But should you decide to learn to free mount first, you may want to consider wrapping your wheel well with yoga mat first. Additionally, be prepared for your wheel to  be dropped many times. Plus, your ankle, shin are going to be bruised.

I find that when I learn to ride first, then free mount, my wheel hardly get dropped, and my lower legs didn't get bruised.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

But i did say, if i have tried to ride first.. I would have not gotten that problem - where wheel didn't want to go forwards. :D I stepped on/off the wheel for 4 days..

At 4th day i said DUCK IT!! and did superman lean forwards. That right there did the trick for me. Afterwards i knew i wasn't leaning forwards enough. The superman lean got me going.

If i tried to ride first. I may have figured that faster.. I may have been riding the first day already. :D 

Watched the video earlier in this thread where "David" learns to ride EUC for first time (page 2?) that @The Brahan Seer posted. Starting against a fence for 1/2 hr then moving off fence on a soft surface. I happen to live a block from a school with grass and plenty of fence to at least get started on mounting. 

Appreciate all the info given here so far from everyone. 

Best trait I have is that I am a fast learner. I remember years ago I had never been on a Snowbaord before. Wife's cousin had rented one and I took it to try one evening as we were staying right by the bunny hill, 3 trips up the bunny lift and I had it. 4th run was the chairlift to the top with my wife in tow. Made it down the hill with no issues. Hoping I take to the EUC as easily. 

Edited by Rich_D

45 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

This shouldn't be the case if someone is providing proper instruction. 

Sure. The right instructions to a rider who is doing it wrong can help.

But also, the individual can make a big difference. 

Sometimes, a person comes along who just have the intuition to know what to do.

Without any instructions, read, watched, nor explained, I saw an individual just, out of the blue, free mounted without even losing balance. The technique is a little unconventional, although I have seen someone done this before in a YouTube video. The rider would crouch down and hold the wheel with the hands. Then the person would climb on board. Incidentally, I have tried this technique myself early on while I was learning, but it didn't work for me.

This person rode across town like that. Later I thought maybe it is time to tried to do it the normal way. I just explained the basic steps, and this person got it on the first try. I couldn't believe it. Not only this person never drops the wheel, this person doesn't seem to lose balance. I am the opposite. I may not drop the wheel often, but I have faultered plenty. 

On 12/3/2022 at 3:06 PM, h00ktern said:

I forgot about the broom trick. That's a long time ago. I never tried it, but maybe with some precise posturing, it seems to have potential.

I used a push broom for the learning transition from hand walking on a wall to full flight.  Once I use the broom to get kinda stable and moving 5-6 mph I drop the broom and wobble off.  A bit awkward when an unscheduled departure from my V12HT and the broom is a ways off!  I am almost 70, and while I wear my motorcycle gear, definitely not a fan of pain so I am probably more unwilling than most for a hard fall.  

21 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Helmet... I had been waiting for mine to arrive. If finally did. I hadn't been to worried as I have not come close to actually riding yet. I have other helmets, but anyway - my white helmet arrives, but there is no way I can wear my prescription eyeglasses with the helmet!  I guess it may be a blessing in disguise? It was a very cool, but cheap, china helmet.  Every motorcycle type helmet I have worn has a place in the foam for the arms of your glasses to go through the padding and allows ones glasses to sit somewhere close to the correct position on ones face to see. Not this helmet! The cut out is about even with my EYEBROWS!  My only full face helmet now is a heavy motorcycle helmet. 1, I think it is overkill no faster than I will be going. 2, it is too HOT! If it's too hot, I won't wear it. I know I must find something - my BT Bike helmet is not full face.  

I too went through a few cheaper Chinese MC helms before I found the right one. In general I found that although it is amazing what those guys can do for not much money, they all have some fatal flaw which makes them ultimately disappointing - one had a visor that was great for the first week, but turned out to be the foggiest, most scratch-prone surface there could be, and it was useless within a month. The second one was a full-face jobby, but with full front-lift and aviator shades behind that. Very heavy, and would have been great if the visor only stayed up when open, which it didn't. In the end, I paid up and looked good (literally) for a TSG Pass Pro, which fits beautifully, doesn't fog up much, is a third the weight of MC helmets, and offers better visibility than any other helmet I tried, including MotoX ones with goggles. AND you get to look like you were in Daft Punk / I, robot ! :) 

There are only a couple of downsides to that helmet. Firstly the D-ring chin strap, which is awkward to fasten in thick leather gloves, and secondly the weird wind noises that make it through the vents and the front visor  if it is cranked just a bit for ventilation. And perhaps it isn't the warmest of helmets in very cold weather (you can't close vents for example)

But in all the aspects that matter for what we do it is superb, and gets my full recommendation.

Edited by Cerbera

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

This shouldn't be the case if someone is providing proper instruction. 

The falls don't happen during lessons on the whole, or because of improper instructions. They happen because of terrain problems, lack of rider XP in dealing with those early on and the fact that to err is human, and we don't always see the problems in time. Also, we don't control and can't fully predict what other people will do. Nor can we know when a wheel might fail for technical reasons. That is why I think there is a level of inevitability to falls if you do this for any reasonable length of time. Sure, we shouldn't live in constant fear or anticipation of them, but I think we must accept they are going to happen at some point or other down the long winding road, regardless of how great our individual skills are, or how excellent the teachings we may have received...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rich_D said:

As a 50 something person looking at getting an EUC it's great to see so many folks in my age range riding these. 

I have a scooter now that I use for commuting to and from work but have itch to try an EUC. I have been eyeing the inmotion V12 as it was recommended as a good starter wheel that I can grow into with experience. 

I think the V12 would work fine to learn on.  I started with my RS two years ago when I was a young 53-years-old and learned on that just fine.

On my first day I started by holding on to a fence while standing on the wheel and putting my weight forward and back to make the wheel move, then I started rolling forward with only intermittent contact with the fence, then I rode away from the fence and went on to trying to free mount the wheel - no more trying to rely on a fence after ~30 minutes.  After ~1 hour I was totally exhausted and went home, this is some video from that first day:

After that I did some riding on that tennis court behind me at the start of the video, about an hour on day 2.  I was free mounting and riding, but I was wobbling around and more focused on keeping balance than making the wheel go where i wanted it to.  I kinda managed circles and figure 8s, but my control over where I went just felt vague.  Then on day 3 I spent another hour on the tennis court (the other court that you can see on the left (green coloured asphalt) at the start of the video above) and I started dictating to the wheel where to go.  I used the side lines of the singles court and the side lines of the doubles court, riding between those two lines like it was a path and aiming to stay on that path (I thought it would be a useful skill when riding on an actual path).  By the time I finished my 3rd hour (1 per day) I was flailing my arms about much less and was able to follow a line I chose.  Day 4 I went out on footpaths and around some local schools, I did OK but my mounts and dismounts were not elegant, embarrassing would be a better description.

So on Day 5 I went to a nearby school that had a roof to give shade to a suitable area and I spent a lot of that hour of practice starting and stopping to get better at my mounting and dismounting of the wheel.  I also did some filming:

After this I was much more willing to go places and explore.  Getting more experience riding being the real key to improving.

I think that buying an EUC and learning to ride it is so worthwhile, but you do need to be committed to learning and willing to struggle at the start.  For me the first couple of hours were quite gruelling, they were hard work and difficult.  That was where the extremely steep part of the learning curve was and I was really glad that I was in no way prepared to give up just because there was effort required.

Looking at my videos it was probably around day 11 of riding that I was not only practicing but also enjoying the riding and exploring:

That one is 30 minutes long so feel free to skip through or just watch a couple of minutes or not bother.  But that day I had a really enjoyable ride and even if I was still learning and not yet 100% comfortable in my riding it was still really good.  I did have to go through the initial learning curve and then get enough practice in to be OK near other people, but then I started getting the reward for that.  The EUC is a great PEV, so compact and easy to put into a car and take places to explore.  It is way more interesting and fun than my scooter.  The scooter works well to get about, but there isn't the same element of fun, it is fast and functional but boring at slower speeds, whereas the EUC is interesting even at slower speeds.  There is a certain feeling of accomplishment in learning to ride an EUC that I never got with the scooter, the scooter was too easy which made it feel like less of an achievement to be able to ride it.  I kinda feel like anyone can jump on an e-scooter and go riding, but it takes a bit more dedication and effort to be able to ride an EUC which makes it a bit more special.

In short: Get one, learn to ride, have fun!

• Like 3