Leatt 5.5 Upper Body Protection Suit

• Cerbera changed the title to Leatt 5.5 Upper Body Protection Suit
  • 1 month later...
On 11/12/2022 at 7:48 PM, Cerbera said:

I have not crashed in this armour yet, so will pop back to update this review when I have

haha, i know what u mean, but such optimism. thanks so much for the review. great job. i like it. i'll be looking for a sale too. i'm about 185 today and 6' tall. popeye arms sorta. ranch work. think x-large would fit me best?

seriously, this will be for my off ranch rides which hopefully will be rare, or just for practice, but i like the look, and i don't want humans to think ima dick, but i'd rather not chit chat with the neighbors if they see me.

i'm almost ugly enough to be scary, but i need a helmet, thinking something like this with the leatt protection stuff.

https://i.etsystatic.com/11638753/r/il/a6821f/2224074997/il_1588xN.2224074997_n8yb.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i don't want humans to think ima dick

With a TSG Pass, this armour, enough arm accoutrements to reasonably audition for Alita: Battle Angel, and hardcore MX boots, there is no doubt I look like some sort of robocop / iron-man style future cyborg, but I am prepared to accept that roughly a third of people I pass will either find me hilarious, or will assume I am having some sort of mid-life crisis :) The remaining 2/3rds seem to think it's quite cool, and I get a lot of 'nuff respect' style comments, and a reasonable amount of 'hushed awe' from those guys to make me feel I'm gettin' away with it ! 

And the ones that are laughing will do so less when they see I can get up, take a bow and walk away unhurt from any spectacular crash I am unlucky enough to have in front of them !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

With a TSG Pass, this armour, and hardcore MX boots there is no doubt I look like some sort of robocop / iron-man style future cyborg, but I am prepared to accept that roughly a third of people I pass will either find me hilarious, or will assume I am having some sort of mid-life crisis :) The remaining 2/3rds seem to think it's quite cool, and I get a lot of 'nuff respect' style comments, and a reasonable amount of 'hushed awe' from those guys to make me feel I'm gettin' away with it ! 

And the ones that are laughing will do so less when they see I can get up, take a bow and walk away unhurt from any spectacular crash I am unlucky enough to have in front of them !

i don't think ur scaring anybody and who cares, u only get one and injuries get better but never completely go away. youtube sb sued for monetizing all these reckless activities, many much more dangerous than what we do, and humans die daily trying to get more views. i wish i could afford that predator helmet but my arai corsair v jolly roger will have to do. it's heavy but i know if my head hits something at speed, it's designed to slow the impact of my brain hitting my skull. my harley motorcycle jacket has elbow and shoulder pads, and it's free.

do u think in hot tampa in the summer, i could wear it without heat stroke. it gets so hot here, naked is the only thing that works for me. 

Well, it is full of holes so you should be alright - airflow is decent. But hey don't trust me - I live in the UK where we don't have heat, except for that 2 weeks of the year which rolls around to show us what we are missing; you wanna ask Zen Lee - he's always twatting his wheel round the desert in this full kit :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i don't think ur scaring anybody and who cares

Actually, that's not entirely true ! One girl briefly screamed as she came round a corner and nearly bumped into me when she looked up from her phone, and a sweet little old lady who didn't hear my bell on a cycle path had to have a small sit down after I wheeled past her the other day ! Fortunately I noticed, and sat with her until she was fine, and it was just the surprise that had done it...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, novazeus said:

heat stroke

Maybe try an ice vest.

If needed, use zip lock bags, fill with water, freeze. 

If they melt during the ride, can empty water, and refill with ice from a soda fountain from McDonalds etc...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe try an ice vest.

good idea. i know from my motorcycle days, helmets get hot, that's where all ur heat is, and i picked this arai for that reason. but that was all 70 plus mph because i live next to an interchange and i considered the interstate was the safest place to ride.

the arai did great with air flow and aerodynamics, but i won't be on the interstate with my wheels hitting 70 without some major re-engineering. looking at this leatt 4.0 mtb full face on sale at cambria bike. i want to be in a habit of wearing a helmet like i did riding street motorcycles. comfortable and lightweight, maybe not as good as the arai, but not as hot. doesn't matter what u have if ur not wearing it.

i wanna be in a habit of wearing protection always. i can't ride all the way to my gate naked, i mean i could, but neighbors, u know the karens might complain, or worse, wanna meet me, so i might as well protective clothing. 

i wear these dickies duck insulated coveralls, that probably could handle my low speed crashes out here, it's off ranch with those concrete curbs and metal gatings.

not as soft as asphalt. i used to inline skate 20 miles a night in running shorts, but i wasn't concerned about my skates cutting out, but i did lose a rail that put me down at speed, a wobble, haha, no injury, but no face plant. i mean just screwing around in my pasture and falling at walking speed, my right thumb got stretched a bit and hurt for weeks. 

as i ride, i'm looking at the pavement deciding if this wheel cut out this second, would i get hurt badly. my first trip to vail was 2012, and i think snow skiing is nuts. i don't know how northerners do it with their hills and snow and ice. walking is perilous.

5 minutes ago, novazeus said:

helmets get hot

Might not matter if whatever helmet worn is hot, if wearing an ice vest.

Ice vest will cool the blood, which then circulates throughout the body/head anyway.

Bit like the car radiator, cooling water, that then flows.

Ice packs located near the kidneys might be a good location.  High volume of blood passes through the kidneys quickly.

Just maybe have some foam/sponge cut to size, to prevent direct contact between ice and skin.

Not near chest/heart, might be hazardous.

• Like 2

If you are doing the ice vest thing, maybe get a size bigger Body armour than you would ordinarily - there isn't a lot of room in there, ESPECIALLY around kidneys / waist area... next to ribs or across chest would be where there is most space (in my case at least).

• Like 2

Slightly larger jacket allows room for extra insulation in winter as well.

Tabloid size newspapers are excellent for wind break and insulation.

Can vary thickness easily, discard if needed during ride, obtain cheaply during ride.

Tour de France riders used newspapers for the mountain downhill.

Klim Airbag vests, AI tech deployment, no tethers, might be worth considering, especially if 90kph.

• Like 1

i watched this video of a guy describing a crash of another participant in a group ride that wasn't wearing a helmet on some bike path where some looney govt worker thought putting huge boulders next to the path was clever. good for the local hospital's business. i learned riding motorcycles, that the govt purposely tried to kill us, and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

btw, @Dufwhere he lives, esp in the summertime, is the perfect place for euc's. flat and the snowbirds go home. plus naples is just cooler than tampa because of the gulf breezes. that's why the rich Christians all move there. beautiful place. but i still wouldn't ride on the shoulder the way duf does because these idiots are texting while they drive. ur not safe in a car. 

a few years back this nice young guy came to tampa and wanted me to ride with him on courtney campbell causeway. i told him i don't leave Bob and he needed to be real careful. he got run over that night. not terrible i don't think.

i'm gonna try to get around on the network of concrete sidewalks, but these damn baby strollers take up the whole 4'!

i like the idea of a coverall with the pads sewned in. not perfect, but easy on better than nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...

i wanna get this i think along with some other leatt stuff. if u spend $500+ u get free shipping. but idk about duty taxes into the usa. anybody else from america order from these folks?

i figure i have to put on clothes to ride to my gate, might as well put on protective clothes.

https://www.motocard.com/en/protections/leatt-65_body_protector_2021_graphene.aspx

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i wanna get this i think along with some other leatt stuff. if u spend $500+ u get free shipping. but idk about duty taxes into the usa. anybody else from america order from these folks?

i figure i have to put on clothes to ride to my gate, might as well put on protective clothes.

https://www.motocard.com/en/protections/leatt-65_body_protector_2021_graphene.aspx

I bought the Leatt 6.5 but not the one with the mesh like in your link. I like it but haven't worn it yet but it should be good protection for when I get my Sherman S.

https://fortnine.ca/en/leatt-6-5-pro-chest-protector

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

here's what i've discovered here lately. i don't want my upper half connected to my lower half clothing or protective gear. it binds me when i need to twist the wheel. plus leather here with me taking cannabis orally(it's very peppery so uheat up and dehydrate, btw, that is the most dangerous thing physically about extract, dehydration) i can't hardly drink enough water. and i can't go 55 to cool down my leathers. 

i loved dainese stuff btw. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i wasted all day with fedex and van's getting my shoes. it's like humans don't know where big macs come from. i hope fedex starves to death. worse company on the planet. i told them, hello, just copy bezos, he's been doing deliveries less than fedex and he does it much better. 

but i have lots of different shoes to try.CE02560A-FB3D-4A76-897C-4E3627F56C47.jpeg.045e78552ae3c88a3a1aed620d538402.jpeg

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i wasted all day with fedex and van's getting my shoes. it's like humans don't know where big macs come from.

Yeah I had that for 3 days in a row when they had my Grizzla pads. Hopeless.

That's an interesting video, but he's not wearing Leatt 5.5 kit here as far as I can see... that looks like a rather inferior / cheaper set, that hasn't held the pads where they need to remain - around his joints. However it makes a valuable point nonetheless about why we might need additional layers under and ideally over the armour as well to further prevent migration of those pads and to stop the fragile connecting material being the first thing that contacts the road. Of course if it is very hot where you ride I can totally understand why you wouldn't do multiple layers - it's pretty grim riding round in a multi-layered sweat box for any length of time in sweltering heat, but really any type of coat worn over that stuff probably would have saved his armour a bit better...

Edited by Cerbera