Neck Braces - do we need 'em ?

Now I am slowly building a full kit of Leatt gear I came across this video on how they test their neck braces. It's bound to be the thing I add last, if I add it at all. What does everyone think - do EUC riders tend to crash in a way that makes these useful / worth the money (they are very expensive - almost as much as the whole top body armour suit !). I rather suspect we don't... 

• Like 1

As someone who mostly use only wrist guards - Do you really need it? (Then again i'm not a speed demon. And those ride when i'm only using wrist guards, i tend to ride little bit over running speed. 1/3rds of my regular speed.) :D 

You are the only one, who can answer that question. It's your body and you choose what gear you're gonna wear.

Some go full down armor, body suit - even in very hot summers. Some ride with only Jeans and T-shirt.

• Like 1

My instinct is that I don't need the neck brace - I am neither a speed demon or a jumping lunatic, but those Master pedals are very high as pedals go, and from head height it seems a long way down ! :) I don't need much reassurance not to get one - I have already been spending too much cash on armour recently - just upgraded from 14 pound wrist guards, to 120 pound Leatt Wrist braces, which I think are going to fit over all my winter gloves much better than the current solution. Also I need my piano playing hands and wrists, so particularly keen to avoid hyperextension like that time I fell off my tiny little airwheel (no armour) all those years ago, and was off playing gigs for 6 months !

Cost of Leatt neck brace is around $300 -  $400 USD.

Might be better to purchase a Klim brand Artificial Intelligence Air Bag Vest for the similar price. 

Neck brace protection plus much more with all over body protection.

https://www.revzilla.com/leatt-neck-braces

https://www.motostorm.it/en/clothing/protectors/klim-ai-1-airbag-vest-black.html?currency=USD&size=M&gclid=CjwKCAiA9qKbBhAzEiwAS4yeDcDRMqSZx1kfAw-ujTfjGBS8t3Hbg-Hhk2sqetSMDEBfXY1OFG3SuhoCxxUQAvD_BwE

Price: $ 309.71 USD

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Cost of Leatt neck brace is around $300 -  $400 USD.

Might be better to purchase a Klim brand Artificial Intelligence Air Bag Vest for the similar price. 

Yes, that seems like a good plan, especially if I end up going fast more often. Probably won't add it immediately though. The Leatt 5.5 Body Protector is pretty damn impressive too, so I reckon I have that bit covered.

So the only bit of me that leaves unprotected is hips. MC padded trousers probably the way to go there eventually, but again, no real hurry...

Can use CE level 2 motorcycle knee pads as hip guards.

Extra strong strength velcro needed for attaching.

The adhesive binds very well to the guards. 

Attach the hook velcro onto pads.

Need to stitch the loop velcro onto pants. 

Might be a little difficult, as the adhesive greatly resists the needle. 

Need to maybe use a coin to help push the needle through. 

Needle can break.

Loop velcro on pants is preferable. 

This is facing the body. 

If ever pads are not in place, the loop velcro is soft and does not stab like the harder hook velcro.

Motorcycle padded pants usually have a sleeve/pocket to insert the thigh guards/pads.

The bottom half of the hip guards can fit into this sleeve.

Inspect any guards/pads that are included in motorcycle pants. 

They might be only Level 1, or not to any standard, cheap plastic, low quality, non existent, etc.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Leatt 5.5 neck brace is £185 for L/XL at Wiggle in the UK, a large reduction vs RRP. Had a VERY slow speed fall, almost a dismount,  and still broke 2 ribs and had a sore neck after the helmet hit the ground. Could see how the neck may suffer if crashing at speed, and unlucky, so decided to go for it. They integrate with the 5.5 body armour and look like the are not restricting at all. Soon see as it arrives in a few days

Edited by Stevebee

23 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

The Leatt 5.5 neck brace is £185 for L/XL at Wiggle in the UK, a large reduction vs RRP. Had a VERY slow speed fall, almost a dismount,  and still broke 2 ribs and had a sore neck after the helmet hit the ground. Could see how the neck may suffer if crashing at speed, and unlucky, so decided to go for it. They integrate with the 5.5 body armour and look like the are not restricting at all. Soon see as it arrives in a few days

Cool - would be good to know how that works - lots of us have the 5.5 body armour, and I can't be the only one who has considered the neck brace. Still expensive for it, though as you say, a lot less than normal ! Not sure I need any extra setup time though - I'm already pushing half hour to get it all attached to me ! I do worry about the weight of the helmet exerting a lot of force on the neck, so maybe I shall spring for one if it works well for you...

I wear either a Bell MTB helmet or a full motorcycle helmet, a Schuberth C4, which is heavier but ironically the visibility is better. From the reviews I’ve seen on the brace, it just slips into the Leatt body armour so should be a 2 min job. Don’t travel fast enough at the moment to need it but as I get experience with the Sherman S do plan to increase my cruising speed to 35/40 mph at some point - I’ll need it then if it all goes pear shaped!

I'm curious, how's your mobility with a neck brace? Can you still turn your head and look behind you for traffic while driving in a straight line?

If I'm turning left I absolutely have to be able to check if there is traffic behind me that might be trying to overtake me at the same time

From the reviews it’s fine. It effectively rests on your body armour, the helmet is not attached. It works as a ‘shelf’ that stops the helmet going too far up, down or to the side. I’ll soon find out. I use a mirror attached to my helmet but agree youd need to be able to look behind

• 10 months later...

On the premise that neck braces really do help mitigate some of the impact force, it seems like a good idea in the right scenario.  I was riding on the street near downtown in my city travelling at ~25-30 mph when a car ran its red light at an intersection.  My EUC impacted the side of the car and I went over, ending up on a sidewalk sliding head first/face down.  Along the way I hit a light post with the top of my helmet; probably at an angle and with some of my speed scrubbed off from the slide, but my neck was in pain for the week following.

I understand everyone rides differently in different environments; for myself I'm a lot more mindful now of anything I'm approaching that I can collide into even if it is off to the side (parked cars, lamp posts, etc.) and I'm shopping around for a brace now.

Does anyone have recommendations for a neck brace model?