Beginner questions

versus

1 hour ago, versus said:

Got these boots and pretty much resolved the wobbles 

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Forma-Terra-Evo-Low-Motorcycle-Boots/SubProducts/Forma-Terra-Evo-Low-Motorcycle-Boots-0018 

Now i figured it was time to start using pads. I bought Grizzla Flow. Have been playng with position and they seem to be ok from the brief initial test

New problem is that i always mounted the wheel with some difficulty even without the pads and now it seems I'l have to relearn mounting with such a restricted space to place the other foot while scooting. I would always mount almost immotional wheel with the other leg , struggling with the first few feet of the ride. Now with Grizzlas this looks almost impossible as without them I would hastily put the other leg up just aiming for the whole pedal and then later readjusting position once i gained speed. Obviously  I need to practice one foot  riding  now, as I cannot put the other leg up without precision. Maybe i should have worked more one one leg ride before installing Grizzlas. Any advice on first time use of the pads. Did you feel like needing to  relearn mounting with the pads. 

One legged riding is one of best things one can master.

Like now - i push off the ground, start riding and after 2-3 seconds i put the feet on pedal and move it around, if i misplaced it. (I don't look at euc while mounting..)

Same for pads.. You have your main foot already locked in. Now you need to lock in the foot that was on ground. (Some people like to move little bit that pad upwards so it is easier to put in feet.)

Edited by Funky

4 hours ago, versus said:

New problem is that i always mounted the wheel with some difficulty even without the pads and now it seems I'l have to relearn mounting with such a restricted space to place the other foot while scooting. I would always mount almost immotional wheel with the other leg , struggling with the first few feet of the ride. Now with Grizzlas this looks almost impossible as without them I would hastily put the other leg up just aiming for the whole pedal and then later readjusting position once i gained speed. Obviously  I need to practice one foot  riding  now, as I cannot put the other leg up without precision. Maybe i should have worked more one one leg ride before installing Grizzlas. Any advice on first time use of the pads. Did you feel like needing to  relearn mounting with the pads. 

Yes I worry about that. My Grizzla 'Bigs' should have arrived today, but currently seem to be parked in some Fedex depot somewhere waiting for someone to notice them...

On the Master I have struggled with the extreme grippiness of those pedals, because on my old wheel, which didn't have the studs, I was always sliding my foot about on the pedals shifting and optimising position and tended to mount and dismount by sliding my foot on / off the pedal from the side, which doesn't work at all now, so that took a bit of retraining to remember to 'lift and move' rather than just 'move'. Quickly my 1 legged riding skills improved :)

I am anticipating a bit more retraining when the pads get here, but ultimately I am not too worried because they should be placed  a) in the most natural place for your leg to sit / fall between as you get up, and b) should have some free play between back and front pads to give you margin for error.

As mentioned, maybe mount the front pad higher so it is easier to lift your foot, slide out to the side and hang that leg off the pedal as you dismount.

I imagine I will be practising that move in the kitchen quite a lot before I inflict it on the outside world ! As I have already discovered to my embarrassment once, it's very hard to look cool when you arrive at the shops, elegantly glide to a complete stop, try to dismount and find both feet stuck to the pedals :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

Mounting with pads ...resolved.  As much as pads impede easy foot placement of the trailing leg, they better lock the supporting leg making it easier to ride onefooted for a while and thus enabling more time for the second leg placement.

Next problem is curb climbing. I've started navigating the pavements and mixing among real city traffic. Sloped  pavemement edges  are not installed everywhere and once in a while one comes upon crossings that are not disabled friendly. Dismounting Is always pain in the ass. Going down, of course, is not a problem. But climbing a steep curb does not look like it could end well and i sttill do not venture just forcing the wheel against it without the proper technique. Maybe a well paced head-on dash without any special technique would result in curb climbed but i'd rather apply some prejump or prep movement rather than brute forcing it. What is it that works best and how to train without too much risk?

Edited by versus
  • Upvote 1

WrongWay didn't go into the details of practicing curbs though. I made a more detailed video on it a long time ago:

1. The EUC must have less weight on the pedals. Hop up to lighten the load.

2. Keep your knees soft. Let the curb push the wheel up and allow it to bend your knees.

3. Accelerate a bit during the hop.

4. Start with very shallow curbs, and move up incrementally.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

WrongWay didn't go into the details of practicing curbs though. I made a more detailed video on it a long time ago:

1. The EUC must have less weight on the pedals. Hop up to lighten the load.

2. Keep your knees soft. Let the curb push the wheel up and allow it to bend your knees.

3. Accelerate a bit during the hop.

4. Start with very shallow curbs, and move up incrementally.

:D I simply drive over 1 and 3 without any "hopping". Second one i simply step off/on - takes 5 seconds. Most times i leave one feet on euc while it's going down. And then put my feet - that was on ground back on. Don't wanna be jumping my 280lbs ass.. And risk bending the axle.

Edited by Funky