Newbie looking for advice on Gotway Tesla V3

Bigdg1972

perfect 1st wheel that you wont grow out of imo

Pro tip: put protective bumpers on it and/or learn on grass to avoid scuffing it up too much when you're learning to ride it.  

Or join a local community and see if there is someone nice enough to let you learn on their already scuffed wheel / backup wheel

8 minutes ago, Murdomeek said:

learn on grass

Please no. You need a nice hard = low rolling resistance surface for learning to ride. Would you learn to ride a bicycle on grass, or teach someone on grass? No! Same for electric unicycles.

But the bumpers (e.g. cut from a yoga mat) are a great idea to get over the first two weeks or so, then you no longer need them anyways.

+1 to no grass. Tennis courts are the best, they have walls all around that you can hang on to. And the texture of the court is smooth and that minimizes damage. Also, a few tips.

1. Do not protect your wheel during your fall. Most people delay their learning because they are afraid to damage their wheel. Let it fall, it it get scraped. Learn how to balance on the wheel and feel what it feels like right before you f-up. DO NOT learn how to catch the wheel, because you ride an EUC, you don't catch it.

2. Helmet. elbows, wraist guard, knee brace and good shoes. Don't argue. Just get them. Put them on. Thank me later. When you start going at 40/45mph, kidney belt, full armored jacket, and shoulder, breast and back plates too.

3. Get on, fall off, get on, fall off. Drink water. Repeat. Enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrEUCMan said:

and good shoes. Don't argue. Just get them. Put them on.

And when we say 'good shoes' we mean something that covers your ankles properly, and ideally prevents small dogs hanging off the back of your Achilles tendon :)

I like MC boots in that regard, which can have steel toe caps, stunning ankle and tendon protection, side sliders, which can save you from a dug-in pedal scrape, and provide you with a handy surface with which to punt annoying dogs into nearby lakes. My MC boots come up to just under my Leatt dual axis knee / shin action for complete protection of lower leg. Doesn't matter what bangs or bites ya when you got a pair of those on, and on the inside they are, as my old nan used to say, 'fluffy as all-fuck and warm in the winter' ! ;) Additional advantages are that it doesn't matter if your pads get a bit worn - it's still comfortable with a layer of padded leather up your calves...

The only thing I will say about MC boots to avoid is the ones that are particularly pre-formed into the shape of a dude sitting on a bike with his feet on the pegs - get the straighter ones that are better for walking in if you ever have to, for example, go shopping on your wheel...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2022 at 2:53 PM, Bigdg1972 said:

Just bought the Gotway Tesla V3, is this a good wheel to learn on? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am 50 year old male and my weight is 205lbs. TIA

I have a Tesla v2 and I think it is a fine wheel to learn on and grow with. As for learning on grass, I did that and it took me 3 days to learn. I might have learned faster if I learned on smooth surface. As for reducing scuffs, maybe you can look for turf or carpet to practice on. Theres also an Inmotion cover that might work on t3. If not you can return it. https://amzn.to/3MKEr3G