ATGATT

The Brahan Seer

And that's why my speed alert is 10km/h before tiltback/cutoff. (Small beeps start at 38km/h and big alear with voice and very loud beeps starts at 42km/h. Tilt back at 50km/h as i don't wanna feel it.) And soon as i hear beeps - i slow down, because i don't like riding the "beeps". At least the loud ones.. Small ones i may ignore sometimes - rarely. :D 

He was risking it and riding the beeps.. Honestly what did he expect? If one is riding max speed, one should expect a incoming crash.. :facepalm:

• Like 2

That's what gives EUC's a bad rep. :angry: And then when there is an article in any mainstream media, people immediately link to EUC faceplants.

wykop_eucs.jpg.6e622e8900c6ab15ff7c4d7ba6c7d408.jpg

Wykop.pl. Immediately people linked two videos of faceplants. And it makes them immediately biased towards EUC's being unsafe.

I know that nothing can be done about it, people will keep pushing the limits in unsafe ways...

I'm just venting, please ignore. 55 mph = 88 km/h. To me that speed sounds suicidal.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

That's what gives EUC's a bad rep. :angry: And then when there is an article in any mainstream media, people immediately link to EUC faceplants.

wykop_eucs.jpg.6e622e8900c6ab15ff7c4d7ba6c7d408.jpg

Wykop.pl. Immediately people linked two videos of faceplants. And it makes them immediately biased towards EUC's being unsafe.

I know that nothing can be done about it, people will keep pushing the limits in unsafe ways...

I'm just venting, please ignore. 55 mph = 88 km/h. To me that speed sounds suicidal.

Doh they aren't wrong in the slightest way.. EUC's are dangerous/unsafe. :D 

They are made in china, they can burn down your houses, they can power off any given moment making you crash, because one wheel. Each time i ride - i know i'm more or less gambling with 0.5% chance that it will simply stop working. 

Edited by Funky

34 minutes ago, Robse said:
All that beeping - it's to keep the road clear ...  like when an ambulance comes?

Nah. He's being a attention hogger..

I at least feel like that. When riding, minding my business and suddenly wheel starts talking. "Your device is low battery, please charged" "Please decelerate" and people start looking at you. :D 

Lets not judge the rider too harshly. We all make mistakes. We don't know his circumstances. Maybe he just didn't know. Couldn't hear the beeps, zoned out etc. He was on a main road that looked pretty quiet. It was good of him to post because it enables us all to learn and experience it without actually doing it..hopefully. He did have all the gear which is what this topic is about. Safe rides everyone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Lets not judge the rider too harshly. We all make mistakes. We don't know his circumstances. Maybe he just didn't know. Couldn't hear the beeps, zoned out etc. He was on a main road that looked pretty quiet. It was good of him to post because it enables us all to learn and experience it without actually doing it..hopefully. He did have all the gear which is what this topic is about. Safe rides everyone.

Sorry but it’s exactly this foolishness that brings negative attention to all euc riders. 

- Rider is clearly inexperienced with high speed riding due to the fact that he doesn’t know you won’t hear beeps at high speed. (No external speaker or helmet speakers to monitor beeps. Could have been monitoring stats on his phone via wrist strap as well) 

- Rider shows more evidence of inexperience while pushing wheel limits at 60% battery. An experienced rider would know to dial it down as battery voltage was about half.

I won’t feel any sympathy for just plain ignorance. As this was an unexperienced rider who didn’t know what to do with the conditions he found himself in. Then has the nerve to say in the comment section they needed a faster wheel such as the v13.

The wheel he was riding wasn’t the issue, it was the fact the rider was high speed riding with low battery in high wind conditions. He had all the ingredients for the cutout and said yes please I’ll take one. 

Expect more videos like this to surface as more inexperienced riders push the limits with the high speed wheels coming out. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

But we do know what went wrong, at least more or less of it. He said in comments: Yeah unfortunately didn’t hear the rapid beeps. Only heard one or two thinking I had more head room. Would have definitely stopped if I had known..

He didn't hear the beeps and thought he had more headroom for speed.

I personally don't know how someone may misjudge their riding speed. When i'm riding near my alarm, i already can tell by wind noise or how fast object are passing me. If i speed little bit more - i hear beeps.. Same time when i'm only wearing wrist guards i more or less keep at "running" speeds around 20km/h. Without alarms, etc that would show my riding speed. After ride i look at EUC world and my top speed was ~24km/h. Most time right or under the 20km/h which is my personal limit without gear.

Guess i'm "special" and can tell just by listening/looking around my speed. :D 

2 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

I won’t feel any sympathy for just plain ignorance. As this was an unexperienced rider who didn’t know what to do with the conditions he found himself in. Then has the nerve to say in the comment section they needed a faster wheel such as the v13.

Doh if he had the "bigger" wheel, he would have not fallen. :D  So...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Funky said:

Doh if he had the "bigger" wheel, he would have not fallen. :D  So...

Same guy that would go to a motorcycle dealer and say I want to buy a 1000cc bike as my first bike. It’s more stable at speed. 

9 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Same guy that would go to a motorcycle dealer and say I want to buy a 1000cc bike as my first bike. It’s more stable at speed. 

And what's wrong with that? It's always great to have head room.

I personally would have been happy with a euc that could do ~30km/h max speed. But i knew it would be too "slow" for me. Or at least unsafe as i would be riding around it's limits. So smart move was getting wheel which can do 50km/h. And ride ~35km/h speed. At the and i have pretty big safety margin left and don't need to hear beeps or feel tiltback. 

If euc's would not be so damn heavy, or i would not need to carry it.. I would have bought fastest EUC available. Just for kicks.. Even if i ever would use 40% of its power.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Rider is clearly inexperienced with high speed riding due to the fact that he doesn’t know you won’t hear beeps at high speed. (No external speaker or helmet speakers to monitor beeps. Could have been monitoring stats on his phone via wrist strap as well) 

- Rider shows more evidence of inexperience while pushing wheel limits at 60% battery. An experienced rider would know to dial it down as battery voltage was about half.

The wheel he was riding wasn’t the issue, it was the fact the rider was high speed riding with low battery in high wind conditions. He had all the ingredients for the cutout and said yes please I’ll take one. 

Your points are totally valid. He is going through the, doesn't know what he doesn't know stage. He now knows. By posting his experience it may help folk who also don't know yet.

Whether in this day and age he should have done a lot more research is easy to ask but again, he just didn't realise he needed to. This is why learning and having to pass riding and driving tests for cars and bikes were introduced I suppose. Dealers do give us some info but perhaps it needs to be highlighted more as many people fail to read the manuals etc properly. We are still in the wild west with EUC's and folk will fall off.

24 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Expect more videos like this to surface as more inexperienced riders push the limits with the high speed wheels coming out

This is the biggest concern now. People are going to die more frequently now unfortunately. Then laws will come in and change everything. 

10 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

He now knows. By posting his experience it may help folk who also don't know yet.

Maybe this guy learned something maybe not. Don’t know this person but based solely on their reply’s in the comment section doesn’t seem to me they know why they cut out which won’t prevent it from happening on any other wheel. 

One can only hope that people learn from this and learn the importance of knowing understanding all the factors you must take into account when high speed riding (battery state of charge, speed you want to travel, wind, resistance etc.) 

18 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

This is the biggest concern now. People are going to die more frequently now unfortunately. Then laws will come in and change everything. 

Exactly, and everything will change for us all. 

5 hours ago, Funky said:

And what's wrong with that? It's always great to have head room.

Head room yes but when your limit is the sky that’s where the issue lies. 

like the example I gave of the 1000cc motorcycle. (Don’t know if you ever ridden one) but that’s basically a death sentence you’re giving a new rider by them buying this. Can it be done yes but the odds of a brand new rider having the control and discipline to ride this beast of a machine in a safe and restrained manner is exceptionally slim. 

as for your example for your usage, the main thing you said is you have self control and would buy a faster wheel even if you never used more then 40% of its capabilities. That can’t be said for all.

High speed Euc’s have more than enough head room to ride fast and still have safety margin intact. Personally I still wouldn’t [suggest] the fastest wheel for beginner just to save them from having to upgrade in a few months. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Head room yes but when your limit is the sky that’s where the issue lies. 

like the example I gave of the 1000cc motorcycle. (Don’t know if you ever ridden one) but that’s basically a death sentence you’re giving a new rider by them buying this. Can it be done yes but the odds of a brand new rider having the control and discipline to ride this beast of a machine in a safe and restrained manner is exceptionally slim. 

as for your example for your usage, the main thing you said is you have self control and would buy a faster wheel even if you never used more then 40% of its capabilities. That can’t be said for all.

High speed Euc’s have more than enough head room to ride fast and still have safety margin intact. Personally I still wouldn’t the fastest wheel for beginner just to save them from having to upgrade in a few months. 

Not into motorcycles, but i figure it could go about 200mph.. Same for cars, we have way more horsepower. But we don't use all of them. (Mainly because of rules, but still..)

Heck if i just got a fancy/expansive new toy, i for sure would not like to crash/trash it.. So naturally you would ride slower. (But yeah, not everyone thinks like that.)

Yeah i get people who aren't afraid of death (Including myself.) And there always will be some people who like to test boundaries of their wheels. But anyone who have nuggen in their head. Will understand if something goes bad - it will hurt!

I doubt i have "self control".. I'm just afraid of getting hurt. :D And i understand if you ride higher speeds - there are more chance of crashing. Especially when riding unknown roads.. Or bumpy roads. Only time i hit the self set beeps are on flat/smooth long empty paths - that i have already ridden.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

45Mph Crash- Veteran Sherman- No gear...

Emm? I don't see any broken bones or anything? What does he want - A gold star?

I call those "wounds" good old childhood memories. While playing on bicycle. Spit on them and you will be fine.

Anyways he's quit lucky. That all he got was that. That's why i don't ride faster than 20-25km/h without any gear. And same time i still use wrist guards - only gear i never leave house without.

For me gloves & helmet are my bare minimum for a slow ride to the closest shops.  I would NOT ride a Sherman at 45mph without a lot more gear than that.  For riding at 45mph I'd be wearing close to the same gear as when I ride my 1000cc motorcycle.  I'm talking full face helmet. gloves/wrist guards, Leatt Dual-Axis knee guards, mesh jacket with protection for chest/shoulders/elbows and my usual riding footwear - motorcycle boots.

I don't understand how anyone can think it is OK to ride an electric wheel at 45mph without a decent amount of protective gear, there is way too much risk at that speed of serious injury or even death.  I can understand taking some risks at 15mph, but not at 45mph.

• Upvote 1