Which euc should I buy?

I have been looking to buy a euc for quite some time now, but I still haven’t decided on what to buy. I would like a wheel that goes close to 30 mph/48kmh (so I could cruise at 22-25/35-40). I would like something with decent range (at least a realistic 30km/18mi). I would use it on and off road, but since I have a budget of ~1750 cad (~1300 usd) suspension is pretty much out of the question. I weigh 140 lbs, so I think my weight shouldn’t be an issue. I have looked at the gotway mcm5 v2, but I can’t seem to find any website where I could buy it from (in Canada at least). Any advice helps!

• Like 1

I believe eWheels ships to Canada; here's their MCM5 V2 page. However, I don't think it's going to meet your speed requirements (top speed caps at the low end of your desired cruising speed). IMO with your budget your best bet will be to look for a used King Song 16X; it checks your speed and range requirements, it has a wider tire and great torque for it's class which will help when off-roading, and I've seen several pop up recently in the Private Sales (secondhand) channel.

Edit: If you can spare an extra couple hundred dollars, it might be worth it looking into the 16XS (for $1550 USD on eWheels). I believe the difference is just a smaller battery which will cut down on range, top speed, and potentially torque by a bit but they should still meet or at least remain close to your requirements. I believe there's an upgrade you can do later down the road to essentially make it a full-blown 16X should you decide you need that. I think @Tawpie has/had one or at least something similar and might be able to give you more accurate info.

Edited by Spaghetteh
  • Like 1

16XS is the same 16X, but literally with one battery pack. Other side is empty. (Same time if that one battery pack studently dies - you crash.)

The pack cost what? 500-600$? So if you want better deal.. It would be better getting 16X right from the start. Save more money in long run.

On topic: Sadly for your budget and speed. You're better of looking for used Kingsong 16x or 18xl. Or other wheel. Get something in 16" or 18" tire at least. 14" is pretty smallish.. (Smaller wheel - more road bumps and what not are felt. Less pleasant ride..) Also 14" for off-road.. Simply bad, bad, bad. Will leave at that.

If you want "new" for 1300$ your only options are "smaller" wheels that goes ~30km/h(~20mph) speeds. inmotion V8'ths, Kingsong 16s wheels like that. (Good news most of these wheels can do easily 40km/25miles range.) Sadly most of these wheels still will perform so/so at off-road. 2-2.5" tires are meant more for pavement/asphalt. For off-road you would want 3" tires.

Also a tip for speeds.. If you wanna ride ~25speed get a wheel that can do ~30speed. (The bigger the "safety" margin - the better.) Example: my 18xl goes 50km/h, but i ride it ~40km/h speeds. (~10km/h left for safety.) If you ride 50speed out of 50speed - fastest way to crash the wheel, because of cutout. Riding wheels max speed is kinda bad/dangerous.. One bump in road or something and you will crash, because you were riding at wheels limits.

TL/DR: Try to find used KS16X if you really want off-road wheel. Otherwise KS18XL is simply amazing cruiser wheel and very stable at speed. These two are one of better wheels out there right now. (If you don't need somewhat water resistant wheel.. You may look at gotway, but look at what models you are buying.. Some wheels may burn your house down..)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaghetteh said:

I think @Tawpie has/had one or at least something similar and might be able to give you more accurate info.

I do have one... although I added the second battery (550USD) so I now call it a 16XS.LR. It runs an XS control board with is slightly different than the full "x", it is limited in speed to 28 mph (vs 31) and has 6 MOSFETs instead of 12.

But it's served me exceptionally well, 4000 miles thus far, and the only thing done has been replacement of the lift switches because a ham handed tech impersonator (that would be me) messed them up taking the wheel apart for the first time to install the new battery pack. Still on the stock tire even, about 1/2 the tread has worn.

• Like 1

If you want that kind of range speed and performance you'll need to get a used wheel.  I recommend looking for a used 16x.  You might even find a used older v11.  

The 16x will only safely do 25 though. 30 is risky on it.  

• Upvote 3

On 9/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, Funky said:

16XS is the same 16X, but literally with one battery pack. Other side is empty. (Same time if that one battery pack studently dies - you crash.)

The pack cost what? 500-600$? So if you want better deal.. It would be better getting 16X right from the start. Save more money in long run.

On topic: Sadly for your budget and speed. You're better of looking for used Kingsong 16x or 18xl. Or other wheel. Get something in 16" or 18" tire at least. 14" is pretty smallish.. (Smaller wheel - more road bumps and what not are felt. Less pleasant ride..) Also 14" for off-road.. Simply bad, bad, bad. Will leave at that.

If you want "new" for 1300$ your only options are "smaller" wheels that goes ~30km/h(~20mph) speeds. inmotion V8'ths, Kingsong 16s wheels like that. (Good news most of these wheels can do easily 40km/25miles range.) Sadly most of these wheels still will perform so/so at off-road. 2-2.5" tires are meant more for pavement/asphalt. For off-road you would want 3" tires.

Also a tip for speeds.. If you wanna ride ~25speed get a wheel that can do ~30speed. (The bigger the "safety" margin - the better.) Example: my 18xl goes 50km/h, but i ride it ~40km/h speeds. (~10km/h left for safety.) If you ride 50speed out of 50speed - fastest way to crash the wheel, because of cutout. Riding wheels max speed is kinda bad/dangerous.. One bump in road or something and you will crash, because you were riding at wheels limits.

TL/DR: Try to find used KS16X if you really want off-road wheel. Otherwise KS18XL is simply amazing cruiser wheel and very stable at speed. These two are one of better wheels out there right now. (If you don't need somewhat water resistant wheel.. You may look at gotway, but look at what models you are buying.. Some wheels may burn your house down..)

Would a Tesla T3 be good? It ticks many boxes (except off-roading and I guess it could burn down my house lol).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WhichWheel said:

Would a Tesla T3 be good? It ticks many boxes (except off-roading and I guess it could burn down my house lol).

Good enough wheel. I still would not buy it.. (Will be honest - little bit bias against gotway.. And how "messy" is the inside.)

Check wheel disassembly videos also, before buying. (How easy is a tire change and whatnot. The inside of the wheel.)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WhichWheel said:

For your budgetary, and riding speed requirements, the T3 wheel is an excellent choice.

It uses the LG M50LT cells, just like the cells used in the V12. These cells are not the LG50T cells that are used in the 900Wh battery packs that are being recalled, or the cells used in the V11. But with any euc, one must be mindful of battery safety. 

I have found this wheel to be very reliable. Never a cutout or have anything gone wrong. There are only two things I would do to make it work better.

(1) Trolley Handle: Pull out the trolley handle and wipe it down with WD-40 when new, or whenever it starts to stick again. I haven't had to clean and relube for over 6 months. 

(2) Pedal rods: Corrosion will grow over time. Remove and lube the pedal rods with grease when new, and you will have an easier time with ownership. 

I don't recommend riding the T3 in the snow.

The width of the T3 is quite wide at the top. It caused me pain on my shins while learning. However, I know two people who learn on it without feeling anything. So it is rider dependent.

Also, there is no noticeable gyroscopic effects to contend with. Some learners may find that better.

My T3 will start to tilt back at about 46 km/h. I have never had a cutout on this wheel. I have ridden at speeds as high as 53 km/h. I don't intentionally ride the beeps or tilt backs.

"It Monkey" on YouTube has great videos on opening up the T3 for removing the wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1