Gloves and other safety gear from Ali - baba.... (?)

Robse

I wouldn't go cheap on gear. I've brought cheap gear from Amazon and ended up buying the good ones. 

Any gear is good gear as long as you are using it. The expensive gear MAY NOT protect you any better, but they usually fit better, more comfortable and last longer.

The cheap gear is now what I lend out to friends

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found a possible alternative winter glove incorporating a good wrist guard...not cheap so probably works !

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/body_protection/motocross_wrist_braces/evs_wrist_braces/evs_wrister_gloves_black

Having said that, for the first 5 years I was on a wheel I wore ultra-cheap amazon-sourced 'teenager skateboard armour' - you know, those 20 dollar sets that come with knees, elbows and wristguards, and they successfully saved my wrists at least 3 times, so what does that say ?!

My final setup now I am on the master is leather gloves, and on the right hand (the one I need to save most) has a Leatt 5.5 wrist Brace over the top, but on the left hand I still have one of the ultra-cheapy wrist guards because they are the only thing that doesn't get in the way of the phone armband I need there !

Sometimes I think there are too many things attached to me ! Pre-ride setup shouldn't take 20 mins ! ;)

Edited by Cerbera

For winter, maybe try:

Disposable plastic gloves under the leather gloves.  Polyvinyl is easier than latex to put on.

Tabloid size, folded newspapers, as very good wind breaker and insulation, for the front, from chin - chest - abdomen - pelvic.  As thick or thin as desired.

Battery heated vest, powered by power bank.  Very good heat for hours with large capacity power bank.  Elements at kidney region important.

Maybe try this guide for motorcycle gloves; materials, stitching, construction, etc.

https://www.amxsuperstores.com.au/buying-guides/motorcycle-gloves-buying-guide

On 9/14/2022 at 10:28 AM, Robse said:

I got those gloves... (But with full length fingers.) :D That "puck" is made of hard plastic. But gloves themselves are made very cheap, very thin flimsy material. Only good for keeping hands somewhat warmer in fall.

Winter/Summer/Fall i use the same thing i have used without the wheel.. Wrist guards go over gloves - done.

Edited by Funky

41 minutes ago, Paul A said:

For winter, maybe try:

Disposable plastic gloves under the leather gloves.  Polyvinyl is easier than latex to put on.

Tabloid size, folded newspapers, as very good wind breaker and insulation, for the front, from chin - chest - abdomen - pelvic.  As thick or thin as desired.

Battery heated vest, powered by power bank.  Very good heat for hours with large capacity power bank.  Elements at kidney region important.

Maybe try this guide for motorcycle gloves; materials, stitching, construction, etc.

https://www.amxsuperstores.com.au/buying-guides/motorcycle-gloves-buying-guide

For people like myself (Who ride slower..) reading all this is so funny. Funny - because so much overkill. (Doh great info. <3)

In winter i personally feel safer. Because i got my "puffy" winter jacket on. And 2x layer pants. And warm puffy gloves. Also if you fall - you fall in snow, or on ice. No road rash simply slide and roll baby. :D:thumbup: At least that's how my riding paths are...

Nothing compared to summer, when i ride in T-shirt. 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Funky said:

Funny - because so much overkill.

Nope not overkill :) All 3 wrist sprain accidents I have survived unscathed have happened at just above stationary, or at very low speeds. Just yesterday night I was practising free-mounting of the Master in the lounge to get used to the feel of new boots, fucked up, overbalanced, and hyperextended my thumb on the way down ! I wasn't wearing wristguards, but had I been, the cheaper option would have saved my thumb, but the Leatts that cost 10 times more would not have done !

Ordered these a while back, not wrist guards, but thought they might be better Winter gloves. I ordered one size too big alas, but I was absolutely blown away by the quality it is possible to get for 14.99. The material here is really good, and well stitched, and hard-wearing, and the knobby bits are tough hard plastic or rubber. Hard to find things not to like at this price, apart from the laughably ridiculous name of course...

image.thumb.png.ef854bd5649b44dda9c9520feb0940f1.png

Edited by Cerbera

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Nope not overkill :) All 3 wrist sprain accidents I have survived unscathed have happened at just above stationary, or at very low speeds. Just yesterday night I was practising free-mounting of the Master in the lounge to get used to the feel of new boots, fucked up, overbalanced, and hyperextended my thumb on the way down ! I wasn't wearing wristguards, but had I been, the cheaper option would have saved my thumb, but the Leatts that cost 10 times more would not have done !

Overbalanced? What do you mean? :confused1:

How the heck you did that. Standing in place.. Or? WTF :D 

10 minutes ago, Funky said:

Overbalanced? What do you mean? :confused1:

How the heck you did that. Standing in place.. Or? WTF :D 

Yes it wasn't my finest moment ! :D 

I start with my left leg on the pedal, and get up stationary, moving my weight over the middle of the machine, and I take a while to park my right leg on the pedal, so that I am really learning where the centreline is and feeling where the left-right balance lies before I start moving. On this occasion, instead of finding the centreline as I mounted and gently hovering around it, I way over-shot, causing the wheel to fall left, away from me, and my new 'clamped-in' boot to go with it ! Now, normal-sized people would have been able to recover from this, but that wheel is only 10Kg lighter than I am and so if I let its weight get away from me past a certain degree at any point, I can't hold it unless there are processional forces helping !

What I will say is that I ended up with the entire weight of that machine on my ankle bone, and the hand I needed to shift it was injured, so it remained there for a good few minutes while I levered my way out from under it. The Leatt GPX boot however, spared me even the slightest pain so good is its protection of that area - I honestly think you could be in a rock fall wearing those, and your ankles would be fine !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes it wasn't my finest moment ! :D 

I start with my left leg on the pedal, and get up stationary, moving my weight over the middle of the machine, and I take a while to park my right leg on the pedal, so that I am really learning where the centreline is and feeling where the left-right balance lies before I start moving. On this occasion, instead of finding the centreline as I mounted and gently hovering around it, I way over-shot, causing the wheel to fall left, away from me, and my new 'clamped-in' boot to go with it ! Now, normal-sized people would have been able to recover from this, but that wheel is only 10Kg lighter than I am and so if I let its weight get away from me past a certain degree at any point, I can't hold it unless there are processional forces helping !

What I will say is that I ended up with the entire weight of that machine on my ankle bone, and the hand I needed to shift it was injured, so it remained there for a good few minutes while I levered my way out from under it. The Leatt GPX boot however, spared me even the slightest pain so good is its protection of that area - I honestly think you could be in a rock fall wearing those, and your ankles would be fine !

Never had that happen to me. (Mostly because my weight and wheel weight..)

If i'm mounting my wheel in my room, i normally would hold onto something.. Or mount and ride to doorway or chair or wall. Anything i can touch. Even holding something with one finger is enough for me.

But if i'm mounting it as if i'm going start to ride forwards. I simply lift off my foot of the ground. At this point i'm already going forwards, riding one legged. Then i simply place my feet on pedal. And even move it around, because i didn't look where i placed it. (I rarely look at euc while mounting.)

Then again i don't have dumb pads that get into way. And i weight 5x more than my wheel. :D So much easier to mount and such.. I don't even think - i simply hop on and go..

Gee isn't that kinda bad.. When wheel weight almost the same as rider. Soon these big wheels will start crushing us.. Wink - Wink. :D 

Edited by Funky

10 minutes ago, Funky said:

But if i'm mounting it as if i'm going start to ride forwards.

Me too normally. But while it rains outside and I await the arrival of my all-weather cover, I am trying to improve my stationary balance powers in the lounge !

4 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

If I had to put on full gear just to stand on a wheel in my living room I would ask someone to just pull the plug already.

Yes that was very much my attitude ! And yet down I went ! :)

Edited by Cerbera

5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Me too normally. But while it rains outside and I await the arrival of my all-weather cover, I am trying to improve my stationary balance powers in the lounge !

Cover for you or for the wheel? If for a wheel use trash bag till then (It's begody it's trash anyways..) If it's for you.. Em... Nvm won't continue that sentence. :D 

I'm guessing for you - so no need to tell anything else.

Edited by Funky

1 minute ago, Funky said:

Cover for you or for the wheel? If for a wheel use trash bag till then (It's begody it's trash anyways..) If it's for you.. Em... Nvm won't continue that sentence. :D 

The wheel. And don't call that Master trash ! It deserves more than a bin bag !! And the joy of Begode machines is that you get to finish off the build yourself, so you feel like you have had a significant personalised stake in it !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The wheel. And don't call that Master trash ! It deserves more than a bin bag !! And the joy of Begode machines is that you get to finish off the build yourself, so you feel like you have had a significant personalised stake in it !

All i was saying trash bag would be perfect fit. :D But yeah. I get it would look ugly. Then again master isn't anything much to look at. Same as babys. Some are cute, some ugly. We all think that - but we never say that out loud to parents. :D (At least about the ugly ones..)

I'm using simple waterproof backpack cover over my wheel. Works great.

Anyways way off topic. So let's stop.. (Sorry) <3

Edited by Funky