Magic The Gathering

Lex Smith

My favorite way to play was have everyone buy-in to a booster draft game. The remaining packs out of the box(es) would be split for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place winners.

Advantages of this being a fun, in-person group activity, eliminating the collector/high-roller advantage, and the possibility of a win or even a good draft covering your initial buy-in and then some. The best and most fair way to play MtG IMHO, combining luck of the draw and deck-building on the fly. I think it's been over 10 years now since my last draft though.

Sympathy please for missing the Alpha-Beta boat and only first getting in on Ice-Age/4th edition :crying:

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 5:52 AM, Vanturion said:

My favorite way to play was have everyone buy-in to a booster draft game. The remaining packs out of the box(es) would be split for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place winners.

Advantages of this being a fun, in-person group activity, eliminating the collector/high-roller advantage, and the possibility of a win or even a good draft covering your initial buy-in and then some. The best and most fair way to play MtG IMHO, combining luck of the draw and deck-building on the fly. I think it's been over 10 years now since my last draft though.

Sympathy please for missing the Alpha-Beta boat and only first getting in on Ice-Age/4th edition :crying:

I think this is my favorite mode too - I love the surprise of new unseen cards and making them work.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:34 AM, Lex Smith said:

MTG/Warhammer 40K cross over drops 8th October!  Looking forward to seeing how that plays.

That's interesting. Never got into Warhammer, that was an older kid game (at the time) with the incredibly detailed painted figurines right (I said older bachelor game earlier, but I guess I fit into that demographic now haha). Anyway, with MTG there was always an actual story-line going on behind all of the cards, but I was too much of a casual to really go into it. I think I read a couple of the books back in the day featuring Capt. Gerard around the time of Urza.

3 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

I played this in the 1990s....I don't know where my cards are :(

Damn, that's kinda like losing your bitcoin wallet password. I'm sorry man.

Kinda reminds me of the kid who got the better of me in a trade back in the day taking either Jester's Cap off my hands for a pseudo Legends 7/7 multicolor dragon. I thought it was cool because it was tough, a dragon, and the multi-color gold cards had to be the best because they were gold or something. Haha. I didn't even know what a rare was or the fact that you got one in every pack, much less what cards were actually good or valuable. Oh well, at least it was only Ice Age. Not like getting swindled out of a Black Lotus or something ridiculous. Now that'd be some memory.

Back in the day the rares weren't spelled out for you, they really didn't hold your hand. The good ol' days.

Edited by Vanturion
self-awareness
  • Like 1