Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

42 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

"High speed mode" seems a bit like marketing to me... when engaged you're running with less margin in reserve so they don't want that as default. It would seem like it's just setting the warning speed faster than the from-the-factory max limit, unless they actually do change the mode of operation in high speed mode.

Isn't the free-spin speed higher on high speed mode? I'm sure I've seen videos showing that. I don't really understand what happens differently inside the wheel, clearly the motor & batteries don't change, so there must be something that the control circuitry does differently. What I'm interested in is whether there is any difference in what happens when riding at slower speeds while in high speed mode.

22 hours ago, Tawpie said:

"High speed mode" seems a bit like marketing to me... when engaged you're running with less margin in reserve so they don't want that as default. It would seem like it's just setting the warning speed faster than the from-the-factory max limit, unless they actually do change the mode of operation in high speed mode.

The method for motor control actually changes. There is a relationship of power consumption vs power output/rpm and when the wheel transitions into the higher speeds enabled by "high speed mode" the relationship changes dramatically, causing much more amperage draw or less torque at the same amperage, depending on how you want to look at it. I always leave highspeed mode on because it definitely is nice to have a bit more safety margin, and I only ride at 40mph.

Seems like there are quite a few Sherman S owners (myself included) that own 2 of the three wheels that Hsiang recommended. 

Edit: Just to add to this, I was "inspired" by Hsiang to ride my V11 to work today after riding my Sherman S exclusively for about 2 weeks and I have to say there is still a lot to like about the V11. So much so that I've decided to keep it as I was always on the fence about selling it. But enough about the V11, back to the Sherman S!

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

Seems like there are quite a few Sherman S owners (myself included) that own 2 of the three wheels that Hsiang recommended. 

Edit: Just to add to this, I was "inspired" by Hsiang to ride my V11 to work today after riding my Sherman S exclusively for about 2 weeks and I have to say there is still a lot to like about the V11. So much so that I've decided to keep it as I was always on the fence about selling it. But enough about the V11, back to the Sherman S!

I honestly prefer my Hero for commuting vs my Sherman-S. Trolly is better, size is more manageable, still suspended, and it has better acceleration from a standing start which is great for getting ahead of cars coming out of traffic lights. Sherman-S is a great wheel and I'm really happy about it, but I am not sure I am going to keep commuting with it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bustapalapno said:

Sherman-S is a great wheel and I'm really happy about it, but I am not sure I am going to keep commuting with it. 

I feel the same way about the Sherman, it IS a great wheel. I'm going to alternate wheels for commuting just to keep things interesting. But the two wheels are definitely fun in their own ways. 

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, wstuart said:

I would have kept the v11 as a commuter, but Im just to heavy for it.  My route has long bumpy hills that often have gusty headwinds.  22mph was all the V11 could do with my 240lbs in those conditions.

Yeah at that weight I could see how the V11 would struggle a bit. I'm 195lbs(200lbs riding weight) so it's just perfect for me. The real realization for me is that it's nice having multiple wheels 😄

• Like 1

Regarding commuting on a big heavy wheel and a smaller lighter wheel, I am now reaching the point where I starting to prefer to do all my commuting on my Abrams.

The weight and gyro effects on Abrams were at first a deterrence. It took some months for my body to build up and adapt, plus figuring out how to ride the thing and the work arounds for some issues, lie. wobbles.

In Chooch latest video on the V13, he talked about pedal modes and acceleration and braking assist. And how their settings can affect wobbles.

Well, I made the same kind of findings on my Abrams. As it turns, I get a lot less wobbles if I don't use the soft pedal mode, and more tire pressure. Their are other factors too.

The big thing for me on the Abrams is how motorcycle-like the ride and braking is. It gives me a lot of confidence at higher speeds. And dealing with the weight at low speeds is almost not a factor now, as long as I don't have to lift it.

If the Abrams had suspension, I would not have to keep looking at wheels. 

@techyiam Weird, I’ve never had wobbles on my Abrams in any pedal mode. I find the wheel to be extremely stable, even more so than the Sherman.

I did however try V13 and had a sudden hard wobble at around 40 km/h or so during hard acceleration. Was worried I might go down but let off and recovered.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bustapalapno said:

Sherman-S is a great wheel and I'm really happy about it, but I am not sure I am going to keep commuting with it. 

Tha's how I think I'm going to feel about my V13... I commute with my OG Sherman.  Will probably be upgrading it to the Sherman S later this year.  The V13 actually makes the Sherman feel like a nimble trick wheel. haha 

Now the question is for all you lucky SS riders... after the Patton 126V announcement.  Will Veteran come out with an upgraded higher voltage Sherman S?  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chucka Wheelie said:

Now the question is for all you lucky SS riders... after the Patton 126V announcement.  Will Veteran come out with an upgraded higher voltage Sherman S?  

I think they may at some point, maybe they'll call it a Sherman S Max.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wstuart said:

The Sherman Max was also a great commuter, but even after 2 days of riding, my knees and hips really hurt from the non suspension.

Sherman S is my first suspension wheel. I was going to keep my OG Sherman as my backup wheel. After 640 miles on my Sherman S, I can't go back to non-suspension wheel. The impacts are too jarring for my knees and feet. I'm also having issues with wind. I feel like I'm going to tip over and lose balance riding on my Sherman S. I think after 2 years of riding OG Sherman, I have got really comfortable with a lower center of gravity ride.

Edited by DragonFZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonFZ said:

Sherman S is my first suspension wheel. I was going to keep my OG Sherman as my backup wheel. After 640 miles on my Sherman S, I can't go back to non-suspension wheel. The impacts are too jarring for my knees and feet. I'm also having issues with wind. I feel like I'm going to tip over and lose balance riding on my Sherman S. I think after 2 years of riding OG Sherman, I have got really comfortable with a lower center of gravity ride.

Oh ok, Im glad im not the only one!  Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?

I ask because Im 6'8" and im having a really hard time with wind, but one of the guys I ride with who is a foot shorter has absolutely no trouble with the wind.  Im wondering if its just me...

I think tall pedals + tall rider = giant unstable wind sock

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bustapalapno said:

Street riding an Sherman-S, EX30, and a Commander Pro side by side, it is absolutely obvious the Sherman-S lags behind.

Of the three wheels, how would rate the ease of acceleration, and ease of braking, say within the 10 mph to 30 mph range.

By ease, I mean for the same acceleration or braking, which wheel requires less rider effort. 

For example, In Dawn Champion’s latest video on the Sherman S, she ranks the Commander Pro as the easiest to accelerate. We are not talking about which wheel has the highest acceleration. And she weighs about 120 lbs.

39 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Of the three wheels, how would rate the ease of acceleration, and ease of braking, say within the 10 mph to 30 mph range.

By ease, I mean for the same acceleration or braking, which wheel requires less rider effort. 

For example, In Dawn Champion’s latest video on the Sherman S, she ranks the Commander Pro as the easiest to accelerate. We are not talking about which wheel has the highest acceleration. And she weighs about 120 lbs.

I would need more time with each wheel to make up my mind. But first impressions the Commander Pro felt the most responsive. 

Keep in mind the EX30 I rode had the awful stock pads, my Sherman-S still has a knobby and squishy leather pads, and the Commander Pro had Grizzlas and a street tire. I also only weigh ~165lb with gear. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I just got my Nylonove pedals in today and they look awesome. They better be given how much I paid including conversion, brokerage, and taxes ($490CAD). To my surprise, they sent me a set with a yellow S to match my overlays! I didn't ask but it was awesome of Lukasz to make them yellow since my wheel has a black and yellow theme going on. The red S would've looked weird and out of place so I'm very happy with these.

Here's a picture comparing the stock, AliExpress, and Nylonove pedals.

20230315_211709.thumb.jpg.c0141245052a7a07187d236ea00fe6a5.jpg

20230315_214849.thumb.jpg.c8e3db654866ca21b6faef199f440da2.jpg

How did you find the aliexpress pedals compared to the stock?

I currently have them on backorder with the seat n side pads too, with my local dealer.

Aliexpress Pedals are like half the price of Nylonove for me.

• Like 1

My Nylonove pedals arrived and are now installed. The Grizzla Flow don’t arrive to later today so have temporarily transferred the std Inmotion pads from my V11. They worked ok on the V11 but on the Sherman not so great. Braking is not great as I struggle to get enough leverage. The shape, they are 1 piece, inset ideal for acceleration and braking - you need to choose the best position for one.

Cant wait to get the Grizzla on

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Robb0 said:

How did you find the aliexpress pedals compared to the stock?

I currently have them on backorder with the seat n side pads too, with my local dealer.

Aliexpress Pedals are like half the price of Nylonove for me.

I actually never got to try the Aliexpress pedals. I had installed them on the wheel to see how they would look then it snowed for the next 5 days. In that time I took them off the wheel and ordered the Nylonoves. I will say the Aliexpress pedals look great and are of good quality. I wouldn't have an issue using them but the Nylonove's were something I've wanted to try since my V11. Considering how much the Nylonove's cost, I'd say the Aliexpress pedals are good value. I will say that since the stock pedals can't fold completely flat, it hurt the outsides of my feet. Now that I've just ridden to work with the Nylonove's I can report back that they are much more comfortable and they have that weird thing where it dampens out small vibrations, which I like!

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 3

Has anyone received a Sherman S with the 66lb suspension by now? How does it ride?

Also, sort of related. How much ground clearance do you typically get while mounted? Thinking of the distance from the lowest part of the suspension cover to the ground, I saw some numbers in some stores but wanted to hear a realistic number form someone riding one.