Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

On 3/9/2023 at 12:37 AM, rdouvi said:

A tiny multifunctional suspension adjustment tool from also EUC Clubhouse 

https://www.eucclubhouse.com/products/suspension-adjustment-tool-for-sherman-s

387267C5-65F3-41ED-AC46-0CAC56AE4814.jpeg

I didn’t realize I could turn those nuts to increase preload. Even though it shows with arrows right on the suspension. Duh!  I’m probably on the heavier side for a 62 lb spring, so I added some preload.  I think I’ll be getting more air now on jumps. I’ll have to play around with this. I tried to turn them the exact same amount so as to not stress the structure with different spring tensions on either side. 

17 hours ago, wstuart said:

I think this is why riding in the wind on high pedal wheels is so problematic for me.

I would think a taller wheel would catch more wind right? The Sherman has the same pedal height as my V11 and catches more wind. I think the more surface area you have the worse it will be, like a sail.

18 hours ago, Clem604 said:

What is this Hillbilly seat you speak of??

I made a similar seat to Jon Purcell. I took the foam and made a seat, then took some neoprene and created a cover that slides on and off the handle and holds the seat. Ugly, and definitely not perfect, but gets the job done. It's tall like the V11 seat as well, which helps when sitting down.

IMG_20230222_151100_561.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wstuart said:

In one particular ride there was a commander pro, three master pros, and a master.  I was bringing up the rear.  Begode wheels are very popular in this group - ex30 in particular. 

Thanks. 

As we have watched in Marty's videos, the gang seems to be very much Begode type of riders. They have been probably riding and working on them since the dawn of time. Plus the weather is so much favorable to Begode wheels down in SoCal, unlike in the Pacific Northwest.

So with Begode's performance edge mixed into the equation, and the need for speed, I can see the reason behind the Begode bias.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:19 PM, Cobaltsaber said:

Unfortunately writes off the sherman-s for me, so I am getting the EX30. Everyone here rides fast 

Which version of the EX30 are you planning to get: 50E or 40T?

50E vs 40T

Battery Capacity 

(1) 50E     32 x 6 x 3.6 x 4.9 = 3387 Wh

(2) 40T    32 x 6 x 3.6 x 4.0 = 2765 Wh

Maximum continuous discharge power from the battery 

(1) 50E     32 x 3.82 x 6 x 9.8 = 7188 W

(2) 40T    32 x 3.78 x 6 x 35 = 25 402 W

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

Just now, techyiam said:

50E vs 40T

Battery Capacity 

(1) 50E     134.4 x 6 x 9.8 = 7903 W

(2) 40T    134.4 x 6 x 35 = 28 224 W

I believe my retailer only has the 50e option available. I dont think begode is producing any 40T versions as of right now. I dont see any out in the wild either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

50E vs 40T

Battery Capacity 

(1) 50E     134.4 x 6 x 9.8 = 7903 W

(2) 40T    134.4 x 6 x 35 = 28 224 W

Wouldn’t the controller limit the total discharge rate? I realize the batteries are capable of 35a discharge, I have 40t in my s22.

1 hour ago, Cobaltsaber said:

I believe my retailer only has the 50e option available. I dont think begode is producing any 40T versions as of right now. I dont see any out in the wild either

FYI, eWheels ships to Canada.

45 minutes ago, Crab said:

Wouldn’t the controller limit the total discharge rate? I realize the batteries are capable of 35a discharge, I have 40t in my s22.

The controller certainly can.

We don't know where that limit is on the EX30.

There would be lesser of a chance to abuse the battery when going supersonic for these guys in group rides.

As one V13 has shown, 10 000 W isn't a whole lot.

23 hours ago, Crab said:

I realize the batteries are capable of 35a discharge, I have 40t in my s22.

30 x 3.78 x 4 x 35 = 15 876 W

It is still good for that wheel. It is not likely that you would be over-drawing battery current.

4 x 35v= 140 A continuous, max.

Edited by techyiam

21 hours ago, Cobaltsaber said:

all 134v performance wheels. Figures. I'm having the same problem in my local grouprides. Unfortunately writes off the sherman-s for me, so I am getting the EX30. Everyone here rides fast 

This is what I find crazy. A wheel capable of almost 48 mph is too slow for their group rides 😳

Not the type of group rides I’ll be trying to find - way too fast me. Could be like the Duracell bunny though - all the 134v start getting low battery warnings while the 100v keeps going. Would have to be a ride in excess of 50 miles for that though so unlikely!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, techyiam said:

126 x 4 x 35 = 17 640 W

It is still good for that wheel. It is not likely that you would be over-drawing battery current.

4 x 35v= 140 A continuous, max.

Small note on that:

Power calculations are best made at nominal voltage, which is a better representation of the voltage under load (with voltage drop and sag)
And when drained, it is impossible for a cell to provide 4.2V.

So that would be 30*3.7*4*35 = 15540W instead

Still a lot!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Small note on that:

Power calculations are best made at nominal voltage, which is a better representation of the voltage under load (with voltage drop and sag)
And when drained, it is impossible for a cell to provide 4.2V.

So that would be 30*3.7*4*35 = 15540W instead

Still a lot!

With the (smaller than) 12mOhm initial internal impedance of the 40T one has already about 0.42V sag at 35A...

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 4:03 AM, Freeforester said:

Jonno Purcell takes a look at the pros and cons of tyres on the ‘S’ (thanks for the great vid Johnno!):

Man, his thoughts on the two tires are 100% mine as well. The one time I did topple forward (sherman v3), I was mind boggled because eucworld didn't show a cut out. Wheel was still on and balanced when I picked it up. What he mentioned about the front wheels on a motorcycle when leaning too hard and catching, explained the situation exactly what I remember happening.

I have a spare michelin pilot 2 ready to install and I think I might speed that operation up to get back the nimbleness and smooth leaning characteristics on the ss. Was going to wait and wear down the stock knobby, but the video just brought back every thought I had about loving the ride with pilot on the sherm v3. Thanks for the video share. Can't wait to get the same ride experience again, but on the ss.

For wheel change, it's the left side for removing the majority of screws and pieces tp get enough off to change rubber, correct?

• Like 1

Just now, Dreygun said:

Man, his thoughts on the two tires are 100% mine as well. The one time I did topple forward (sherman v3), I was mind boggled because eucworld didn't show a cut out. Wheel was still on and balanced when I picked it up. What he mentioned about the front wheels on a motorcycle when leaning too hard and catching, explained the situation exactly what I remember happening.

I have a spare michelin pilot 2 ready to install and I think I might speed that operation up to get back the nimbleness and smooth leaning characteristics on the ss. Was going to wait and wear down the stock knobby, but the video just brought back every thought I had about loving the ride with pilot on the sherm v3. Thanks for the video share. Can't wait to get the same ride experience again, but on the ss.

For wheel change, it's the left side for removing the majority of screws and pieces tp get enough off to change rubber, correct?

Don't discount the Shinko 244 as well. It almost as carvy and maneuverable as the street tires but still gives you good grip offroad.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bustapalapno said:

Don't discount the Shinko 244 as well. It almost as carvy and maneuverable as the street tires but still gives you good grip offroad.

Might have to try that after pilot 2 wears. Never tried the shinko 244, but I'm seeing the popularity and good reviews everywhere. Locally I have easy access to the pilot, but need to look harder for the shinko 244, if I don't want border/ brokerage fees.

Edit** found the shinko 244 locally, but it is listed as 2.75-14 instead of 80/90-14 like the michelin. Cheaper too, noice

Edited by Dreygun
Added

35 minutes ago, Dreygun said:

Might have to try that after pilot 2 wears. 

I wanted to try the Continental ContiScoot tire after my PS2 wears out. I've heard that they are a really grippy tire that doesn't last as long as it's competitors. Triple Clamp Moto in North York had the Michelin PS2 on sale for $55 each so I bought another two. Looks like I'll be sticking with Michelin for the foreseeable future 😄

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I wanted to try the Continental ContiScoot tire after my PS2 wears out. I've heard that they are a really grippy tire that doesn't last as long as it's competitors. Triple Clamp Moto in North York had the Michelin PS2 on sale for $55 each so I bought another two. Looks like I'll be sticking with Michelin for the foreseeable future 😄

I had conti installed before the pilot on sherm v3 and it's super grippy in wet and dry conditions. Soft rubber that heats up quick for grip, but because of that, it is like a winter tire in summer and wears quicker. It did tram line and want to topple sideways easier on grass than the michelin tho. 

• Like 1

does anyone know if a low safety margin triggers an alarm? and if so, what that percentage might be?

(i know euc world can do this, but i dont always hear the BT audio).

Edited by Steve Evans

11 hours ago, supercurio said:

11 hours ago, Chriull said:

the 40T one has already about 0.42V sag at 35A...

Thanks.

Using the nominal voltage of 3.7 V is pretty close to the actual initial voltage of roughly 3.8 V under load.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bustapalapno said:

I received my Sherman-S yesterday from GT King (thanks @MrMonoWheel for the detailed information about buying from China). So far everything looks good on the wheel. Coming from a Begode wheel there are certainly some mental re-calibrations I need to make regarding gyroscopic effect and the power curves.

One thing I am really concerned about the pedal cutoff angle. On my Begode wheels I can scrape the pedals a bit on sharp turns and the wheel won't cut out. But the pedal cutoff angle on the Sherman-S is set so it cuts out before the pedals touch. Is there a way to adjust this setting? There doesn't seem to be anything in the settings menu, and the advanced settings menu is hard to decipher.

Actually if anyone has a comprehensive guide for reading the advanced settings menu, that would be really helpful!

With how high the pedals are on the Sherman S, if you are able to scrape them you are a class of rider far beyond my skill level 😂

I believe there was mention of a way to increase the tilt angle to 65 degrees or something, I recall discussion of a "berm mode". 

I finally updated my firmware. I've decided to turn on high speed mode to test it out. On my next long ride I'll see if I get the same range when riding at the same speed, I'm not sure why it should be different but if there is no difference then I'm not quite sure why it has the two different modes. I probably wont go any faster, I just won't have the wheel beeping at me occasionally.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

I finally updated my firmware. I've decided to turn on high speed mode to test it out. On my next long ride I'll see if I get the same range when riding at the same speed, I'm not sure why it should be different but if there is no difference then I'm not quite sure why it has the two different modes. I probably wont go any faster, I just won't have the wheel beeping at me occasionally.

"High speed mode" seems a bit like marketing to me... when engaged you're running with less margin in reserve so they don't want that as default. It would seem like it's just setting the warning speed faster than the from-the-factory max limit, unless they actually do change the mode of operation in high speed mode.