Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

1 hour ago, wstuart said:

I wonder if there was something wrong with the type of metal or the way the metal was made.  

I cleaned mine off with Breakfree and steel wool and they're already rusting again.  I've never seen a metal do that.  

I think it’s the reaction between the alloy of the pedals and the type of steel used for the supporting/extending pins, which is a bit of a bimetallic ‘thing’ with some metals?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Freeforester said:

I think it’s the reaction between the alloy of the pedals and the type of steel used for the supporting/extending pins, which is a bit of a bimetallic ‘thing’ with some metals?

Galvanic corrosion. High possibility. Salty air on the trip over + incompatible metals. I mentioned this in the other Sherman-S thread @MrMonoWheel started because there are places where the issue might matter more.

What's interesting is how quickly @wstuart's re-rusted after he cleaned them up. Really incompatible alloy? No way for LK to know until more time passed, or the wheels spent some time at sea?

Like others said, if this is the only issue with the batch, probably not a big deal?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Salty air on the trip over

The EUC's are in cardboard boxes, on a pallet, which is then wrapped with plastic.

The cardboard boxes would probably show signs of deterioration, if the rusty pedals were due to shipping.

Shipping containers are usually watertight, with heavy duty rubber door seals....as they can be on the deck of the ship, exposed to waves/moist sea air.

Illegal immigrants suffocate in shipping containers.

Pictures of the Ewheels shipping container fire demonstrate the plastic wrap, and possibly the likely containment of the fire due to restriction of air.

MDI8JGd.jpg

so9udxp.jpg

fEaGCNN.jpg

psKltRf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I went through the same thing. I used to ride my V11 straight legged (yeah I know its bad xD) but on this wheel doing that caused me to be super unstable. After watching videos of good riders I noticed how they are almost halfway to a seated position with how much they bend their knees and lean over. I started doing this and now I feel like I am glued into the wheel. Form really does matter.

TgJ979bbFGUYQxufoeisrYisiftewEj7YanJkr1_tufaLxVxinlRClD7vbYtpN6gjj-gzgCv-PwG1yix9v3Nf31q2_7vhwrZArh4r80CNAI6kjHy_l2a-bWB6abrIas7MRGl2rlyStVzzRzCyN78EBuy16X9irVafzI1OigPXe6dNDvwOIrMgu7eNmJnABahy3-gFCqCU1qZn02Y_TdUZsCrBTjefN2vzMDUbo0CANTL8HYORiB4wI2B0AQM-THo7m4WLGQXoLx4wqk8w6pdNazVPV2ZE-3m9ZgsulBp8Q1xHLNWAOyyAdchVHr0vJ0lNJAUk3gtiK0_o96lNRPvY8MAwdQCX8sKuzkPm8q4ur7iuA4xiQmvYu8osvm2zTy9ovBl_d_JrneKhwuKj3cQ6hq7wVo5mitzp2VllgwigtUdclVIuiZTPGlM0L6N6JgCr20YTZa7d9tBAdNDriDrUWrE6QxoYXsppIrudHAFWZ2lHVOJcHo3fN5exVSqHFIWvgcSVOxjNJDZoNefFVu1cwc5qGppJvsAjdYPvOJXmBFNUd_7mviCZ5uA7V423llLLFsghXp8CRU2J8-YaNxGU4pL2oa7-L3w2pwGb5n_zdLSjMUn3ryQ0Al1e4IRWY0cFqUNHlMUrvYedfJJUZnofAuPvwAQRlBo4pJHT2UTKMA7Tivufg8-CFPSmWSQmMYCdxmiWrOhOmop6kB2aRimxMYosx8qCCoUX2zLDkCZTMhYNU4SwgM7Hr7xI7uDoH396glFwz_Yu94qz1yNhW05ai5MoQC7DoiBQKDyB1JJyCP-f52BOIpeZpZvFnTNGsh99JRq25o-hZERsq72UgwLepdAGJrAnzvwNuTeDQhV4AYaBBNE74JQpcovDRfUJKW9h_18v3i9nnbJNH6OuNdlUew4hzlsPsizlV732bFRKWM6DnMBr8Ge_07w88ImfUswMQb2HmJ8eEFX4VEDMJF15X9chXABYVjIZtl282MK4WnB9cJxOX7oQo0=w1730-h1297-no?authuser=0

Don’t know why but I can’t see the picture you attached to this post (remember same issue raised on you personal thread on your Sherman-S experience). Thanks 

15 hours ago, wstuart said:

I wonder if there was something wrong with the type of metal or the way the metal was made.  

I cleaned mine off with Breakfree and steel wool and they're already rusting again.  I've never seen a metal do that.  

Chinesium

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Galvanic corrosion. High possibility. Salty air on the trip over + incompatible metals. I mentioned this in the other Sherman-S thread @MrMonoWheel started because there are places where the issue might matter more.

What's interesting is how quickly @wstuart's re-rusted after he cleaned them up. Really incompatible alloy? No way for LK to know until more time passed, or the wheels spent some time at sea?

Like others said, if this is the only issue with the batch, probably not a big deal?

Oh yeah I totally forgot about galvanic scale stuff!

I heard on sea vessel's they bolt a hunk of metal that has different galvanic properties than the metal that the ship is made out of.  It make it so the hunk of metal rusts, but the ship doesn't.  

It's also a problem with carbon fiber bikes because the metal bits are at the opposite end of the galvanic scale relative to the carbon, so the metal bits rust fast on carbon bikes.

32 minutes ago, wstuart said:

Oh yeah I totally forgot about galvanic scale stuff!

I heard on sea vessel's they bolt a hunk of metal that has different galvanic properties than the metal that the ship is made out of.  It make it so the hunk of metal rusts, but the ship doesn't.  

It's also a problem with carbon fiber bikes because the metal bits are at the opposite end of the galvanic scale relative to the carbon, so the metal bits rust fast on carbon bikes.

I met a guy who worked on this once.  Oil tankers have one type of metal on the inside that resist corrosion from the oil. And one type of metal on the outside that resist corrosion from the sea. These metals can’t be attached together in the normal way so they put them together under immense pressure and blasts charges in the center to bond them. 

17 hours ago, Freeforester said:

Imagine if the pedals were made of POLIAMID 6 instead! You could screw in any set-screws and not have to worry about a reaction between them and the pedals they were screwed into. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Imagine if the pedals were made of POLIAMID 6 instead! You could screw in any set-screws and not have to worry about a reaction between them and the pedals they were screwed into. 

In aviation, they use special coatings on screws into aluminum skin, or carbon fiber/aluminum interface.

Hopefully, if this problem is ever diagnosed the results will be reported just for curiosity's sake.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:54 PM, Jon Wall said:

Cheap Amazon mtb refill pins to replace the round Phillips ball bearing head screws.  Maybe this will get some of us by until the Nylonove pedals ship out?

20230109_192338.jpg

Screenshot_20230109_192623_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20230109_192551.jpg

I think these are a must-have for offroad.  I just tried my first offroad ride on the Sherman S.  When my shoes got a little bit of wet sand on them the stock pedals lost all traction.  

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

I check the Hulaj Market page every day hoping the pedals were made available :lol: Now that the Aliexpress CNC Sherman S pedals went up in price, the Nylonove pedals became that much more attractive. Available in second half of January the ad says.

Edited by Clem604

2 hours ago, wstuart said:

I think these are a must-have for offroad.  I just tried my first offroad ride on the Sherman S.  When my shoes got a little bit of wet sand on them the stock pedals lost all traction.  

Yep that was my experience too. My shoes saw like 4 water molecules and it was like I was on ice. I don't plan on buying the e-rides or nylonove pedals, my money is either going into those $175 aliexpress pedals or the leaperkim official (if I dont get them free).

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:33 PM, KiwiMark said:

I just double checked, the delivery happened yesterday.  Damn it mum, I'll have to make sure I check the tracking each day when the Sherman S is due as well as reminding mum that a text would be appreciated when the really big & heavy package arrives.

There are people who are 79 and rides. Maybe she is a closet electric wheel rider, and has been enjoy riding a V12 HT the last couple of days? 🙂

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrMonoWheel said:

this definitely is a vehicle vs a toy.

As I ride my Abrams more, the more the smaller wheels will feel like a toy.

Before, I didn't quite understand why some Monster Pro riders commented that they find some smaller wheel not stable enough to their liking to ride.

I finally reached this point. When I start to ride my T3 again, I couldn't believe how unplanted it feels at moderate speeds.

But here is the kicker. If I were to continue to ride the T3, it will feel fine again in time. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I feel like the only logical choice at this point is the Sherman S. The EX30/Commander Pro/Master Pro all have yet to prove themselves in the real world while the Sherman S (so far) has only gotten great feedback aside from some smaller things. 

Exactly. If you're referring to WW's poll, he doesn't seem like the type to buy a wheel he hasn't tested, especially if it's a Begode wheel. The only wheel he has tested that we know of is the SS from that list, and he has said he bought the wheel he choose and it is currently being shipped to him. Unless he is pulling a fast one and the wheel is not on that list, it's most likely the SS for him as he also ruled out the V13 already

Edited by BKW