Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Heck yes. Sherman - S with one battery pack for me!

Maybe that is the solution.

Buy the Sherman S, take out the battery packs and sell them.

Have someone make the battery packs, in the configuration you want, and install them.

Think someone mentioned that Radio Controlled hobby shops might be the ones that can make battery packs.

How To Make A Lithium Battery Pack With 18650 Cells | Practical Skills For Makers

t8EBmDFFHtBdj2ATUEAzAIBFeSv0H4YvY9wvP1zB
byte sized engineering
78K subscribers
Dec 19, 2021

In this video I show you how to make your own custom lithium battery pack using the common 18650 lithium cell.
I talk about how to connect the cells in series to get the desired voltage you need, and how to connect the cells in parallel to increase the capacity of the battery pack.
Then I go over how to arrange them in the plastic spacers, and how to use nickel strip to spot weld the cells together.
Finally I talk about using a battery management system (BMS) to add protection and properly balance the cells as you charge them.
I wrap the whole battery in a protective insulating layer and shrink wrap.

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Maybe that is the solution.

Buy the Sherman S, take out the battery packs and sell them.

Have someone make the battery packs, in the configuration you want, and install them.

Think someone mentioned that Radio Controlled hobby shops might be the ones that can make battery packs.

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

How To Make A Lithium Battery Pack With 18650 Cells | Practical Skills For Makers

t8EBmDFFHtBdj2ATUEAzAIBFeSv0H4YvY9wvP1zB
byte sized engineering
78K subscribers
Dec 19, 2021

In this video I show you how to make your own custom lithium battery pack using the common 18650 lithium cell.
I talk about how to connect the cells in series to get the desired voltage you need, and how to connect the cells in parallel to increase the capacity of the battery pack.
Then I go over how to arrange them in the plastic spacers, and how to use nickel strip to spot weld the cells together.
Finally I talk about using a battery management system (BMS) to add protection and properly balance the cells as you charge them.
I wrap the whole battery in a protective insulating layer and shrink wrap.

Seems easy enough.. I got a welder. Will order some 18650 batteries from Aliexpress. (Cheapest ones should do the trick.)

Go ham on connecting them together. :D What can go wrong. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve Evans said:

has anyone heard if leaperkim are considering changing those awful pedals for future batches?

Is there a lot of point in developing pedals when the enthusiast rider that would buy the wheel goes straight to aftermarket for pedals & pads?  There is definitely room for improvement on the stock pads, but I'm most interested in what NyloNove puts out to fit the Sherman S.

52 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Wrongway said no locktite on the nuts and bolts.....

Not saying it's acceptable at all, but Wrongway's SS wasn't a production wheel, was it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BKW said:

I went with the EUC was mainly for the price, the range, the form factor... but if the EUC was much more expensive than another PEV with similar specs, I definitely would have thought twice. So price is important.

You live in NYC, so you probably already thought about this: EUCs are a lot less likely to be stolen. You can keep them with you everywhere you go. They aren't universally rideable, etc.

As much as I LOVE my bike, I never feel comfortable when it's anywhere but in my garage or under me. 2 locks and 2 alarms and I still get ulcers because it's such a target for thievery...

Just a quick update. After a bunch of bullshit including a 7 day free trial of a 4,000 dollar marinetraffic license, the only ship that fits the shipping schedule of my sherman is the Cosco Portugal with IMO: 9516466. If anyone else ordered a second shipment sherman s I believe it to be on this ship as well (if its heading to the US). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Paul A said:

Perhaps for future EUCs, a possible option/design innovation/solution, is to have battery packs that can easily be removed/inserted.

I know this is gonna be unhelpfully vague, but I read a really good explanation a while back (in re: e-bikes) about why exchangeable batteries are so difficult for PEVs and unlikely to happen any time soon. Don't remember the reason or where I read it, but it made perfect sense and it was by someone smarter than me. Helpful, right?

4 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Idk what's going on cause I stopped reading at this point, but I'm very excited for this wheel. I'll come back and make a post when I receive it.

The only comparison between Sherm-S and V13 that I need more unknotting of in my brain is: range under relatable conditions. So I'm looking forward to your range experience with the Sherm.

13 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

The only comparison between Sherm-S and V13 that I need more unknotting of in my brain is: range under relatable conditions. So I'm looking forward to your range experience with the Sherm.

Yeah I'm not here to argue between the wheels as far as features and all that. Everyone knows what they are getting. However range is always an interesting thing. I have a 15 mile stretch of pretty much uninterrupted road that goes from my house to the beach, so I plan on bringing some food and water and just riding this back and forth until the wheel dies. I'll probably keep it around 20-25mph average.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I plan on bringing some food and water and just riding this back and forth until the wheel dies.

I'm betting it'll be a long day... and suggest food and beverage each time you return to the house. Less to carry back and forth, easier on the shoulders.

1 hour ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Yeah I'm not here to argue between the wheels as far as features and all that. Everyone knows what they are getting. However range is always an interesting thing. I have a 15 mile stretch of pretty much uninterrupted road that goes from my house to the beach, so I plan on bringing some food and water and just riding this back and forth until the wheel dies. I'll probably keep it around 20-25mph average.

If you had the time & inclination then I'd love to know the range at different speeds.  I'd love to know how far a wheel goes when taking it easy (riding mainly 30-50kph(call it 20-30mph) for the test).  I'd also like to know what range you would get when riding at a bit more fun pace (40-60kph) and the range with quicker riding (50-70kph).  Any faster would be just for curiosity, like what is the range when really going for it - this would just be to give the limit for minimum range.  I don't think I'm likely to go riding and spend any time exceeding 70kph as that seems pretty darn quick while balanced on a very small PEV, IMO at least.  I'm not saying that I might not occasionally hit a higher speed briefly while going down a hill, I just wouldn't ride at a sustained pace above that sort of speed.

The range when not exceeding 25mph (~40kph) would be what I consider the maximum range that you would get by keeping the speed down.  I know you could keep it under 15mph to get the maximum theoretical range, but I wouldn't consider that a practical 'real world' range because I just don't go riding at such slow speeds.  Obviously I'll happily slow down to that sort of speed around pedestrians, but once clear of other people my speed will creep up.  I wouldn't choose to ride somewhere where I am constantly riding mixed with pedestrians because I like a bit of speed.

If you are happy to try and keep your speed above 20mph and try not to exceed 30mph to give a rolling average of around 25mph that should give me a pretty good idea of the range for 30-50kph riding.  This is what I'd ride at when going for a relaxed fun ride and not feeling any need to be in any hurry.  That is one of the data points I'd like to know.  Once you are down near 10% battery I'd like to know how far you have managed to ride, I would call that the normal range at that speed.  My preference would be to plan my ride to not drop below 10% because that leaves some margin, which I think you should always do - I don't aim to ride to the limit (of range, of speed, of power output or of the limit of traction).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UPONIT said:

why exchangeable batteries are so difficult for PEVs and unlikely to happen

If one parallel battery pack fails, the wheel should still be able to continue to operate?

If true, then the number of parallel packs should be flexible?

The slide on/off clipping could be one option for attachment. 

The conventional M60 connectors could remain.

Waiting for some crazy to DIY two packs, with 200v each.

Could be an interesting YouTube...

_________

Easy, complete swap out batteries could be appealing for long range riders.

Carry extra batteries rather than recharge mid ride.

Edited by Paul A

i was a little disappointed in Wrong Ways last vid on the S regarding the situation with the broken seal on the shock.

what was leaperkims/fastaces explanation of what happened? did WW reach out to them to get their opinion?

was the shock faulty? was it due to excessive wheel jumping?

has anyone heard anything more on this?

thanks,

steve

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steve Evans said:

i was a little disappointed in Wrong Ways last vid on the S regarding the situation with the broken seal on the shock.

what was leaperkims/fastaces explanation of what happened? did WW reach out to them to get their opinion?

thanks,

steve

So far no one else has had that happen to them (yet??) and there were quite a few demo Sherman S's sent out to reviewers. There's a possibility that his riding style and the weather conditions he was riding in here played a factor in that failing. I've seen him riding around the city jumping things and doing massive stair sets more than a few times.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Evans said:

thanks,

steve

According to a commenter that's just a dust cover and not the actual shock seal, and can just be slid/glued back in place. Which makes sense, because if the actual seal had broken there would have been oil everywhere and the compression or rebound damping (whichever it was) would have no longer worked. I think Adam would have a made a much bigger deal of it if that were the case.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Because of the time it takes to get my Sherman S from China, I'm hoping to order & receive the NyloNove pedals by the time the wheel arrives.  If not and I ride on the stock pedals then I'm not too worried - I probably won't push the limits too hard while I get used to the weight/height of my first suspension wheel and I'll take care if the shoes I wear don't have great grip on the pedals.  I already have my Grizzla Flow Large pads, I'll put those on the wheel straight away and that will help with braking without so much tendency to slide on the pedals.

My stock pedals on my RS were OK while I used them, but the Clark pedals I have now are better.  Changing from stock pedals to aftermarket ones is a pretty normal thing for a LOT of EUC riders, doing so on the Sherman S is surely no biggie.