Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

18 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

For me: I'm going to enjoy my Sherman S and if there are problems that get sorted out by batch 3 then I've always got the option of getting hold of the batch 3 parts to swap out my batch 1 parts for - but at least I have a wheel that suits my needs in the mean time.

Based on what you want from a wheel, it would be either the S22, or Sherman-S, unless you would consider a Begode. If there were a 20" version of the V13, that could have been a possibility too. But there isn't. So the Sherman-S wins by a country mile.

What is truly crazy is that after all this time that the S22 have been out, the Sherman-S could still have fewer serious flaws than it.

Even if someone is willing to wait, the S22 Eagle Pro may not be all fixed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BKW said:

You say it's pointless to compare the EUC to other vehicles around the same price, and I disagree. Yes, it's a different kind of machine compared to a moped, for instance, but price comparison is very important (we all do it whether you think it's important or not). Ride differences or not, price comparison is always important when you look at a scooter that gets less mileage and speed than a closely related EUC; or a onewheel with a higher asking price than a closely related EUC. However, I agree that the QUALITY, as least as far a the build goes, is worse than most other PEVs/vehicles on the market around the same price. I do agree that when the buyer thinks the asking price is not worth the EUC then obviously they will not buy it, which people have already made their statement about that.

Remember, EUCs manufacturers don't have economy of scale to keep prices low. All the costs of bringing a new EUC to market have to be borne by a TINY group of consumers compared to other EV markets. And it will probably remain a relatively small, niche market for a while.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BKW said:

You say it's pointless to compare the EUC to other vehicles around the same price, and I disagree. Yes, it's a different kind of machine compared to a moped, for instance, but price comparison is very important (we all do it whether you think it's important or not).

Well, people rarely compare motorcycle prices to car prices. They are separate market segments, and have their own factors that dictate the price. And as you brought up OneWheel, they are as well. If you want that specific experience, other PEV prices don’t really matter. Same goes for EUCs.

Of course, if you’re ok riding either an EUC or a granny moped, then the comparisons are crucial. But not if they’re out of the range of vehicles you consider. I didn’t compare Ferrari prices when I was buying a car, since they simply wouldn’t have mattered.

1 hour ago, KiwiMark said:

I just don't see the sense in coming into the Sherman S thread to bash the Sherman S when it was never going to be a wheel that had any interest to you and from a manufacturer that has never in the past offered any wheel that you would consider.

I see your point, and I agree.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

I simply cannot commute on a vacuum cleaner, at least not the models I have have seen. On the other hand, for those big heavy fast wheels, it is still a possibility.

Well, I could technically have sex with another manâ€Ĥ But I’m still not going to try. (Not that there’s anything wrong with it...)

A big heavy wheel was always a possibility for you, I guess you just thought you wouldn’t like it. But for some people it’s not about the ride at all.

For me a big heavy wheel is not a possibility, and never will be. My bad back simply can’t lift a 44kg wheel to the car trunk, which is something I simply need to be able to do.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

The weight isn't a put off since I don't need to carry it.

And some people do. I’m happy that you found a wheel you like though!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I feel the same way. I dont have the sherman S yet but I really want a nice solid wheel with decent size and grab handles to actually ride like a mini vehicle.

Exactly. For me, I like the feeling I can hold onto a mini vehicle and control it, versus like being on something small, much lighter, like on a skateboard. On the Abrams, I can hold on to the front handle with one hand, and the top of the wheel with my knees.

1 hour ago, UPONIT said:

Remember, EUCs manufacturers don't have economy of scale to keep prices low. All the costs of bringing a new EUC to market have to be borne by a TINY group of consumers compared to other EV markets. And it will probably remain a relatively small, niche market for a while.

You have a good point there, which is one reason likely for higher than normal prices compared to similar specs for different PEVs. I do see melwood's point when he says they shouldn't be compared because they are different machines, but we are talking about two different things. He's talking about the ride experience; I'm talking about what each specific PEV gives you in range, speed, price, etc. Before I bought my first EUC I thought whether I should buy an EUC, an ebike, or a scooter. One of the many reasons I went with the EUC was mainly for the price, the range, the form factor... but if the EUC was much more expensive than another PEV with similar specs, I definitely would have thought twice. So price is important. I find it kind of annoying I'm even debating this because it seems like a bit of common sense so I'll just leave it there.

If you want an EUC just for the ride experience, then it's unique and then price doesn't really matter compared to other PEVs that much I guess. But if you care less about the ride experience and more about the specs/utility it'll give you for the price, then it's something a little different.

Edited by BKW
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Well, I could technically have sex with another manâ€Ĥ But I’m still not going to try. (Not that there’s anything wrong with it...)

Very odd comparison. I don't agree that this applies to trying out different types of electric wheels one rides.

In any case, at least in my case, I don't think it has to do with my Gene's. 

I have been riding motorcycles for decades. Perhaps, this experience gave me a biased preference towards operating a mini-vehicle paradigm. 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

A big heavy wheel was always a possibility for you, I guess you just thought you wouldn’t like it. But for some people it’s not about the ride at all.

For me a big heavy wheel is not a possibility, and never will be. My bad back simply can’t lift a 44kg wheel to the car trunk, which is something I simply need to be able to do.

Not that I was aware of, especially when I step on one when the Abrams first came out.

I am not heavy, big nor particularly strong.

The Abrams felt very, very heavy. And I am not talking about lifting it.

For riding, what I didn't know was that my body can adapt, even up to a very heavy wheel like the Abrams. 

Regarding lifting, that is totally a no go for me.

Having said that, it is more work by far for me to carry my 50 lbs T3 up and down five steps than me pushing my Abrams up and down the same steps. If I have to get an Abrams into a vehicle, it would be with two people, or I use a pet ramp into the back of an SUV.

Edited by techyiam

24 minutes ago, BKW said:

Before I bought my first EUC I thought whether I should buy an EUC, an ebike, or a scooter. One of the many reasons I went with the EUC was mainly for the price, the range, the form factor... but if the EUC was much more expensive than another PEV with similar specs, I definitely would have thought twice. So price is important. I find it kind of annoying I'm even debating this because it seems like a bit of common sense so I'll just leave it there

I went through the same process.

Price was important, but, for me, only initially.

Before I reached the level at which I was more comfortable on an electric wheel than on a e-scooter, I actually went back to EEVEES to see whether a higher end e-scooter was the better bet moving forward.

But once I felt comfortable riding on an electric wheel at higher speeds, there was no going back. I don't compare prices with other PEV's anymore. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I went through the same process.

However, price was important, but, for me, only initially.

Before I reached the level at which I was more comfortable on an electric wheel than on a e-scooter, I actually went back to EEVEES to see whether a higher end e-scooter was the better bet moving forward.

But once I felt comfortable riding on an electric wheel at higher speeds, there was no going back. I don't compare prices with other PEV's anymore. 

Same here. I agree that it's probably more considered before you buy and get used to your EUC. I also don't consider other PEVs when shopping around either, which is interesting because when I had my ebike I still bought a cheap scooter and an EUC (the EUC was last). After the EUC I don't want anymore ebikes or scooters lol.

This whole discussion came about because someone said the price for the SS is not worth it considering the quality, and then they mentioned a motorcycle or something saying it wouldn't have the same quality for the price. So yeah, dang it, they were considering other vehicles of similar price ranges :P (ill move on now)

Edited by BKW
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BKW said:

we are talking about two different things. He's talking about the ride experience; I'm talking about what each specific PEV gives you in range, speed, price, etc. Before I bought my first EUC

I agree, it’s different when one’s purchasing their first wheel. Like I said all along, IF you want a certain type of a vehicle, then comparing the price to other vehicles is pointless.

I don’t see the ShermS as a reasonable first wheel purchase though. At least not yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

That wheel is like 1800 bucks I dont think you need to worry. For the speed/weight/range you seem to need I don't see why you would ever be paying more than what they already cost in that bracket. The big heavy expensive wheels are for those of us who want big heavy fast wheels. No one's forcing you to buy a Sherman S or any of the new wheels, so why complain?

Because i see only big/heavy wheels getting released past 3 years..? :D  And i want something new/small. I would love to have +5mph speed. And real 18x3" tire, but being same weight as my 18xl.

You are lucky - you can get any wheel without any problems. I need light and small. That goes ~35mph. and has little range - because i don't need range.

Edited by Funky

On 12/23/2022 at 4:50 AM, mrelwood said:

No one's forcing you to buy a Sherman S or any of the new wheels, so why complain?

For the record, i didn't voice my opinion to start a sherman s bashing spree and the s comment was supposed to be a funny joke. I was merely voicing my opinion about an upcoming wheel that i was interested in. I thought that this is what the forums was meant for. To discuss EUC related opinions and give useful information to the community. Honestly i think people are a little tender nowadays and shouldn't take things so to heart. I feel like the Sherman s is not for me but hope it will be a great wheel for others.  The v13 may not be the wheel for me either but we will just have to wait and find out.

(Moderator note: The quote is actually from @MrMonoWheel )

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

After this one review, I was actually happy to hear few things. Mr. Adam was well and he had used Sherman-S to heavy amount. Some could call it torment(to the wheel) too, but  the bottom line be, it is working. Did anyone notice he said positive things about it lasting so long and he enjoyed the ride, no? Well, ok, to the knitty-picky then.

Now considering this was proto or pre-1st batch, wow pretty good! Looked that Adam had to also put bad or negative pointers into it(I find it his style), otherwise it just would be "add/commercial" not review, right? I often see this being the case, you gotta smack some of it or you are just selling it, so being critical is needed. For long time in this post I seen people dreaming of this wheel, I also see lot of the people who were never gonna buy it hammer it, dunno why their opinions matter now, since they did not want it. Does not change my opinions anyway, still gonna wait and  see how they fix the next patches. 

For the "1st batch guy", I think you might be having better wheel than most of the other euc-brands, comparing their 1st batch overall. But also looks like it will be important to keep in touch where you buy it, cause some parts might need to be changed. This have been what most warn all-over the forum about 1st batch wheels, be prepared they might need fixes to em and updates.

Pedal I can understand, I knew they might need change along the line. I like many others, change the stock pedals away quite soon.

The water and northern weather is again hard challenge, making these "summer-wheels" by default. Why here in north value vendors fixing these wheels for norther weather, seems this trend continues. Need extra fixes to make it more suited for cold. Again seems they will never be perfect for cold-weather use-case. (Or maybe with battery-tech that would change, but the high-capacity batterys the worst in cold conditions.)

I find value in people sharing their Sherman-S experience, not so much people telling how this never was their use case. But I get it, the 50pages here people dream about something, and now you have something negative to counter it, figures you could not resist.

Price is gonna be something to talk about, why not. Gonna stay "dreamy thing" for most because of it. There was this global shortages, wars and what not, but we just ignore how markets work. Market prices on wide range has gone up, and so have prices. Currently some prices going down, but end-products take bit longer to shift in prices. Next year devices of any sorts used to move around, might finally go down in prices, but.. prolly they keep the high price points for longer.

My overall summary is that, all the things I knew were mentioned but now it is told that we should look toward and see what kind of fixes comes to the next new patches. Been good times with previous sherman products, like all they have their flaws. On the long-run if you get a good wheel, the pre-cost is filing it self-out. People often say(or atleast I hear them say) "I should have got that better wheel.." 

I have good wheels for my use, so I keep following with interest what LeperKim comes up with. Some other manufactors style to fix things would be now try to sell: "Sherm-S pro" but I think this particular company has stated to fix issues, lets see if Wrongways statement holds.

2 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

For the record, i didn't voice my opinion to start a sherman s bashing spree and the s comment was supposed to be a funny joke. I was merely voicing my opinion about an upcoming wheel that i was interested in. I thought that this is what the forums was meant for. To discuss EUC related opinions and give useful information to the community. Honestly i think people are a little tender nowadays and shouldn't take things so to heart. I feel like the Sherman s is not for me but hope it will be a great wheel for others.  The v13 may not be the wheel for me either but we will just have to wait and find out.

i think you are over-reacting here. perhaps it is you who is a little 'tender'. 

• Upvote 1

I understand why some people don't want the wheel. Everyone has their own opinions on it, which is normal and fine of course.

For me, there are many things about this wheel that is attractive to me. I do deliveries on an EUC so I use mine literally for work. The Sherman-S fits all those things for what I do and more (with "more" being supposedly the best suspension on the EUC market right now). I already have the Max for my main wheel and the 16X for backup, but the one thing I don't have is the suspension. And what I'm beginning to realize is I am slowly turning out to be "one of those guys" who buys newer wheels and sells off his older ones, so my Max may become my replacement wheel, the SS my.main wheel, and the 16X sold.

One thing I don't have, nor have I experienced, is a suspension wheel, so buying the SS seems like the next step if I want top quality suspension with the specs needed to be great for my job (not to mention a suspension in NYC streets for the amount of riding I do day in and day out will be a big upgrade).

I'm not surprised by issues arising since it's an EUC, as long as it's not substantial, which it looks like the axle(?) thing has been accounted for?

Given the Max is 3800 and a pretty darn good wheel, with the SS a few hundred more with slightly better offerings and a amazing suspension...it makes sense to me personally.

Edited by BKW
  • Like 3

Is anyone else changing out the stock knobby for a different tire when they receive their S? I ride almost all street and recently just changed to a Michelin Pilot Street on my V11 and I'm hooked,  I'm going to use MC tires on my wheels from now on. The first thing I'm going to do is swap out the stock Kenda knobby with the Continental Contiscoot 80/90-14 I have sitting in the garage which should make the wheel feel more nimble and smooth on the streets.  That means if there are any Vancouver area locals who like the Kenda knobby message me, I will probably just give it away for free.:)

• Like 1

Perhaps for future EUCs, a possible option/design innovation/solution, is to have battery packs that can easily be removed/inserted.

Perhaps similar to the batteries of cordless drills that slide on/off.

This could add flexibility and increase the appeal to the various wants and needs of diverse customers.

Protective covers that can be easily removed.

Orientation of battery packs that will not affect the front/back balance of the EUC.

Riders that want a lighter, lower range, cheaper EUC, could opt to purchase the EUC with only two parallel battery packs.

Riders that want a heavier, requiring the full range, more expensive EUC, could opt to purchase the EUC with four parallel battery packs.

Riders that want all DIY flexibility, could purchase the EUC with four parallel battery packs. 

Then can have the number of packs as desired, when required.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Perhaps for future EUCs, a possible option/design innovation/solution, is to have battery packs that can easily be removed/inserted.

Perhaps similar to the batteries of cordless drills that slide on/off.

This could add flexibility and increase the appeal to the various wants and needs of diverse customers.

Protective covers that can be easily removed.

Orientation of battery packs that will not affect the front/back balance of the EUC.

Riders that want a lighter, lower range, cheaper EUC, could opt to purchase the EUC with only two parallel battery packs.

Riders that want a heavier, requiring the full range, more expensive EUC, could opt to purchase the EUC with four parallel battery packs.

Riders that want all DIY flexibility, could purchase the EUC with four parallel battery packs. 

Then can have the number of packs as desired, when required.

Heck yes. Sherman - S with one battery pack for me! Please and thank you.

Doh i don't see them doing that. How they could make something size/look. That would accept multiple size batteries. Only thing i see happening is something like KS16XS - which had only one battery pack. But overall it's the same KS16X only removed one pack.

They don't even need to make anything "new" - Simply make "smaller" packs inside the wheel and sell for cheaper. (Then again "all day riders" want big as possible battery..) :efeee20b79: I'm happy with 25km range at 45km/h speed. Anything extra is just a icing on cake.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

Is anyone else changing out the stock knobby for a different tire when they receive their S? I ride almost all street and recently just changed to a Michelin Pilot Street on my V11 and I'm hooked,  I'm going to use MC tires on my wheels from now on. The first thing I'm going to do is swap out the stock Kenda knobby with the Continental Contiscoot 80/90-14 I have sitting in the garage which should make the wheel feel more nimble and smooth on the streets.  That means if there are any Vancouver area locals who like the Kenda knobby message me, I will probably just give it away for free.:)

ewheels gave me the option of changing out the knobby for a street tire. after reading/hearing (was it wrong way??) that the S was less stable at speeds > 30mph with the street tire than the knobby, i decided to stick with the knobby. 

still not certain if that was the right decision.

Edited by Steve Evans

23 minutes ago, Funky said:

That would accept multiple size batteries.

Yes, perhaps another viable option.

Power tool manufacturers seem to have employed the strategy of battery interoperability, to lock in customers to their brand only.

Power tool skins only, can thus be sold at a cheaper price.

Simplifies and streamlines for the manufacturer.

Customers benefit from less investment cost, versatility, etc.

Batteries are a major determinant of weight and cost, for EUCs. 

Flexibility of customization could be appealing to customers.

Purchasing skin only, cheaper EUCs, could be appealing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Steve Evans said:

Ewheels gave me the option of changing out the knobby for a street tire. after reading/hearing (was it wrong way??) that the S was less stable at speeds > 30mph with the street tire than the knobby, i decided to stick with the knobby. 

You can always ride the wheel with the stock knobby and change it out later if you don't like it. For me, I already know the street MC tire is for me. I'll play around with pressures and what not to get it right for my use.  The video you are referencing was Kuji's video with the Street Vs Knobby on the OG Sherman. He ran a Kenda (340A??) vs the Kenda kobby (262??) in that video. The Michelin or Contintental MC tire will have different ride characteristics than the Kenda street tire so we will see. Wrong Way also posted a video of when he swapped the Kenda knobby for the Michelin Pilot City and he loved it so we will see when I get my S.

Edited by Clem604
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Steve Evans said:

ewheels gave me the option of changing out the knobby for a street tire. after reading/hearing (was it wrong way??) that the S was less stable at speeds > 30mph with the street tire than the knobby, i decided to stick with the knobby. 

Knobby is best for all-arounder. When you hit 50-60 km/h with it, it will be very noisy in hard surface(not so much in gravel or dirt roads). You can't go wrong with it. It could be harder for 'totally new person to the sport' trying to go highspeeds I give it that much. Old Shermans beeps are hard to hear crossing 60km/h with wind and tyre noise. Unless you bring speaker closer to ear and use apps.

Street tyre will make less noise and has more steady travel, in general. Street can slip more easy, say if there is sand on the hard surface and just the slipping in very real with it. It does not feel good when your wheel slips underneath you, no sir. Not so fun if you just wanna take that 'shortcut' and you have street-tyre. If you plan to ride anywhere that is not 'perfect smooth', then Knobby is better. If you think you only go premium roads and fast then street tyre is better.

I would go with knobby. My Knobby is still good to go after 10 000 kilometres. The first mark people usually change their tyre is after 2500 km, say 5000km if they drag their street tyres at it. I don't think many street tyres have anything but smoothness left after 10k. Sure there gotta be some (brands or models I mean, reinforced maybe) but anyway, my 2 cents if that helps.

Edited by Tasku

9 hours ago, Funky said:

Because i see only big/heavy wheels getting released past 3 years..? :D  And i want something new/small. I would love to have +5mph speed. And real 18x3" tire, but being same weight as my 18xl.

You are lucky - you can get any wheel without any problems. I need light and small. That goes ~35mph. and has little range - because i don't need range.

Your time will come just be patient and enjoy what you have

The knobby I have on the Max is awesome, even in the city. I find it both stable and maneuverable. I never tried the street tire so I'm not sure what I'm missing, but pretty sure the knobby tires are the same on the Max as the SS. I'm definitely not disappointed with the knobby

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Your time will come just be patient and enjoy what you have

:D When.. I have been following releases, from the time i got my first and only wheel. And there have not been released any good wheel. (In my eyes.) T4 comes close, but it has 16" wheel. Which in my mind going from 18" would be backwards. (I like bigger tires - better roll over bumps, etc..) And has suspension which i'm not a big fan of.

(Omg he hates suspension - He is a MONSTER!!!!!) Nah i simply don't need something that needs a lot of babying.. No suspension - best, because nothing can go wrong. All these "nick-nacks" screens, side pads, etc.. Are useless for me. Which i don't need. Gotway RS comes very close in my mind, And i love everything it offers.. But that's gotway.. It's Quality is simply shit. Have you seen it's inside - rats nest. And terrible water resistance. (Could silicone all shut.. But mobo still sideways, not at the top.)

I wish some company could make something like RS, but "better".