Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

Agreed, he needed to manage his expectations on that one. Regardless, I'm in the market for an all around, do everything wheel and I think this is it. I pre-ordered a batch 2 from Eevees so I'm curious to see what , if anything, gets revised for the 2nd batch.

On 11/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, 360rumors said:

Is there some reason fastace didn’t think it was necessary to advise leaperkim to add a rigid brace between the forks? Fastace presumably knows what they are doing…?

At this stage, yeah, I would assume they know what they are doing.

Also, if anything, I would say there is a rigid brace over the top of the forks. In fact if anything the forks are much more securely secured to the battery pack, which is then intern securely fastened to the top motherboard bracket. This makes a complete 'U' shaped brace which in my view seems a lot more rigid than the plastic axle mounts at the bottom.

I grant you forming a 'rigid' bracket out of three separate pieces bolted together is hardly the most secure way to go but comparing that to the plastic axle joiners at the other end I'd say the top rather than the bottom is the more secure of the attachments!

As to why they opted for such seemingly flimsy attachments we can only guess, but until we actually see issues with their design I'd be inclined to trust that they know what they are doing: ;)

Edited by Slartibartfast

Oh, okay. Perhaps I have misunderstood.

I thought these were made of plastic:

image.thumb.png.49a30a2b5391702684889c542e13cabd.png

To be honest I don't really know what I'm looking at here but I thought the stanchions' connection to the battery shells, and the battery shells' connection to the top plate looked a lot more rigid than the connection to the axle, but I could well be wrong.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Upvote 2

The interlocking shape of the lower axle components shown in the last picture above is no accident,  they serve to securely clamp the lower section of the suspension tube in place; maybe we should try to see what the situation is as regards the upper fixing area? From the photos and videos I’ve seen/watched thus far, I’ve noticed a lot of similarly ‘keyed’ parts, which interlock, much like the casing halves do on the outer faces. I’d be somewhat surprised to learn they have (literally!) left any wiggle room concerning this aspect at the upper fixing area.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(bugfix quote)

folks, i just ordered my sherman s from ewheels. they are asking which tire i would prefer.

the choice is between the Kenda K262 (off road) and 340A (street). whilst i do 90% on pavement and do enjoy off-road too.

i read some older posts saying the 340a is a little unstable > 30mph.

i am leaning toward the k262 knobby for this reason

does anyone have opinions of these two tires?

thanks in advance,

steve

Edited by evans036

1 hour ago, evans036 said:

folks, i just ordered my sherman s from ewheels. they are asking which tire i would prefer.

the choice is between the Kenda K262 (off road) and 340A (street). whilst i do 90% on pavement and do enjoy off-road too.

i am leaning toward the k262 nobby for this reason

thanks in advance,

steve

I wish Eevees would offer a street tire version but unfortunately they don't, I'm not a huge fan of the knobby Kenda as I ride mostly street. I have a Continental Conti-Scoot in my garage that I will have them swap out immediately when the wheel gets here. To answer your question I've ridden a V11 with the 340A and it didn't feel unstable to me when going 30mph+ but I have no idea how that tire would handle on something like the Sherman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evans036 said:

I haven’t ridden the 340, but I’ve read good things about it.

They carve differently, like knobbies and street tires always do. K340 should be pretty active while turning, and is more nimble to tilt-turn at lower speeds. The K262 is lazier to turn, which also makes it more stable at speed.

Which do you want more, medium speed agility or relaxed cruising?

Then again if you want any grip on mud or wet off-road, knobby is your choice, hands down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evans036 said:

I have a 340A on my OG Sherman... it's very nice (and quiet). CAVEAT: I have precious few miles on it and am certain this is due to rider incompetence, but at about 32 mph the sherm and 340A reminded me what speed wobbles were. I'm certain it was me because I have basically zero time above 30 mph.

It turns easily and predictably, and didn't seem to tramline at all. I would keep it (if I were a sherm person and was keeping the wheel).

37 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Is the tire depicted in all the images of the Sherman S the knobby you guys speak of? I do a decent amount of street riding but I also do trails, sometimes mud, beaches, etc so I'll be sticking to the knobby.

ewheels said the knobby is the Kenda K262. dont know if that's what's in the images

44 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I have a 340A on my OG Sherman... it's very nice (and quiet). CAVEAT: I have precious few miles on it and am certain this is due to rider incompetence, but at about 32 mph the sherm and 340A reminded me what speed wobbles were. I'm certain it was me because I have basically zero time above 30 mph.

It turns easily and predictably, and didn't seem to tramline at all. I would keep it (if I were a sherm person and was keeping the wheel).

@Tawpie, it may not be you, but the tire. kuji rolls described similar behavior to you in this vid on the sherman (btw, he loves the kenda340 < 30mph): 

19 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Adam Wrongway, making some suspension adjustments to the Sherman-S: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClEfBNROJyA/

Ha ha - it’s sure gonna be interesting to see how ‘available’ and easy the adjustment is on the Challenger!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, evans036 said:

i am leaning toward the k262 knobby for this reason

thanks in advance,

steve

I haven’t been asked anything yet and I ordered quite awhile ago. I was planning on the knobby as I have many hundreds of miles of trail around my town. 

1 hour ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Do the knobbies absolutely scream on tarmac because that's what I'd love 

As a former Sherman owner, the stock Kenda knobby does indeed scream once you get going. The smoother the road, the louder and more satisfying it is.

It does sound epic. It reminds me of a sport bike climbing in revs as you speed up.

• Like 3

Knobby Kenda262, heres my thoughts:
Cons - it is like swarm of bees on paved surfaces.

Pros - You get used to it. Being knobby it will give you good control in majority of conditions. Grippy, even works in snow. After ~10 000 kilometres, this tyre still has pattern to it. I ride in mixed conditions, not all paved. I could not recommend many tyres after 10 000km, just this one and some reinforced ones (like the heidenau k66 snowtex 80/90-14!)

Sadly I have not tried the street alternative but.. Very easy to recommend knobby. For long time have been planning to switch my knobby to fore mentioned heidenau just as my other wheel has but you see, the knobby just keeps going. I did put some "slime" in the inner tube cause it got microfractures, but the knobby just keeps rocking the free world in these part of woods..

For street tyre, if not reinforced or such I think they recommend switching em around 2500km? And some push that to 5k but.. Again I dont know, but I assume the street would not last as long in use. Someone with more experience could fill on that tyre.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tasku said:

Knobby Kenda262, heres my thoughts:
Cons - it is like swarm of bees on paved surfaces.

Pros - You get used to it. Being knobby it will give you good control in majority of conditions. Grippy, even works in snow. After ~10 000 kilometres, this tyre still has pattern to it. I ride in mixed conditions, not all paved. I could not recommend many tyres after 10 000km, just this one and some reinforced ones (like the heidenau k66 snowtex 80/90-14!)

Sadly I have not tried the street alternative but.. Very easy to recommend knobby. For long time have been planning to switch my knobby to fore mentioned heidenau just as my other wheel has but you see, the knobby just keeps going. I did put some "slime" in the inner tube cause it got microfractures, but the knobby just keeps rocking the free world in these part of woods..

For street tyre, if not reinforced or such I think they recommend switching em around 2500km? And some push that to 5k but.. Again I dont know, but I assume the street would not last as long in use. Someone with more experience could fill on that tyre.

That con is a massive pro for me, I'd love my tire to scream as I'm riding. Now I'm looking forward to getting it even more!