Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

Two new video's with the Sherman S released today

Some contradictory views/mixed messages here: 
Jack : the S is basically a Max with suspension 1:22

Kyle: - I feel it’s stronger than my Max (intro, 6:00)

Jack: you can’t  and won’t be able to upgrade the suspension later (some crystal ball gazing, pass the salt!) 1:54

Jack: the suspension is so good it doesn’t need upgrading (wtf?) 1:58!

3:48 - not brittle alloy - good!

3:54 - bumper is a crumple zone (but not like the S 20’s first one!)

Overall, good to see a couple of ‘fuller figured’ reviewers giving their thoughts, for similarly afflicted folk!

• Like 2

I dont think these are really mixed messages, its just they go down different trains of thought coming from different perspectives. Saying its a Max with suspension is aimed at the crowd who knows that the sherman max is a reliable, smooth wheel with similar weight distribution and handling characteristics. Kyle saying its stronger than his max is coming from a power perspective, which its been shown it has a bit more torque and speed due to better design. Jack saying you wont be able to upgrade the suspension is aimed at those who possibly would want to throw in something different for one reason or another (big jumpers, heavier riders, people who like to tinker). Jack then saying the suspension doesn't need upgrading is coming from the perspective of someone who wants a solid wheel for what 95% of riders do (commuting, spirited riding, some light trails, etc). As far as the brittle alloy statement, thats just referring to how magnesium alloy can either be very strong or very brittle depending on the composition, and in this case it is the stronger of the bunch. The bumper being a crumple zone is just saying that if you drop the wheel or have a fall, you wont scratch up the nice magnesium alloy cases, instead a cheaper plastic part will take the brunt of the impact and will be easier to replace.

My take from these videos is that the wheel is very solid and extremely smooth. I like that it has a bit smaller form factor than the master pro and v13. I do wish it had a stronger motor, as 3k watts with a 30 degree incline isn't really that substantial. If you grabbed one for $3200 from GTKing then I would say it's an absolute steal, but for $4000-$4500 I think its extremely overpriced and you are paying for the new suspension design.

1 hour ago, Unicycle Santa said:

I dont think these are really mixed messages, its just they go down different trains of thought coming from different perspectives. Saying its a Max with suspension is aimed at the crowd who knows that the sherman max is a reliable, smooth wheel with similar weight distribution and handling characteristics. Kyle saying its stronger than his max is coming from a power perspective, which its been shown it has a bit more torque and speed due to better design. Jack saying you wont be able to upgrade the suspension is aimed at those who possibly would want to throw in something different for one reason or another (big jumpers, heavier riders, people who like to tinker). Jack then saying the suspension doesn't need upgrading is coming from the perspective of someone who wants a solid wheel for what 95% of riders do (commuting, spirited riding, some light trails, etc). As far as the brittle alloy statement, thats just referring to how magnesium alloy can either be very strong or very brittle depending on the composition, and in this case it is the stronger of the bunch. The bumper being a crumple zone is just saying that if you drop the wheel or have a fall, you wont scratch up the nice magnesium alloy cases, instead a cheaper plastic part will take the brunt of the impact and will be easier to replace.

My take from these videos is that the wheel is very solid and extremely smooth. I like that it has a bit smaller form factor than the master pro and v13. I do wish it had a stronger motor, as 3k watts with a 30 degree incline isn't really that substantial. If you grabbed one for $3200 from GTKing then I would say it's an absolute steal, but for $4000-$4500 I think its extremely overpriced and you are paying for the new suspension design.

It’s also a perspective one may suppose, though I’m personally unclear that the non-suspension Max might have similar handling characteristics as the suspension enabled S, though I’m content that the basic and familiar Sherman heft -  ‘solidity’ - will be there, as before. 

In stating that one cannot change out the suspension if you want to, yet it is great the way it is, Jack sounds like a bright future in either sales or politics may await him - a man for all reasons, and a reason for all men - just my perspective, lol!

I’m not personally convinced that (crumple zones notwithstanding…🤔😂) there won’t be scratches on the casings in the event of a tumble, Jack’s ride looked a little scratched up already, but this will doubtless be mitigated by many via the use of bump tape or aftermarket impact absorbers, I’m personally a fan of Splyce’s bodyguards, which serve to take the beating in a big way, so the actual wheel doesn’t have to, for the greater part. That being said, we all have our personal thresholds for speed, etc, and no two incidents are identical, and nor are the outcomes. The fact that the handles are designed to crumple is still a plus in my book. The seat/handle and stand - all likely to be improved upon, if not by Lk, then by the others catering to such needs, but again, of little major concern, personally speaking.

I agree that the ‘S’ wheel looks very solid and smooth, though I’d personally prefer to buy from a local dealer and pay the premium for the pre-delivery checks, after-sales back-up service and warranty (suggested price here IRO £3895), and I’ve no complaint whatsoever about paying for the design and execution of a good suspension, assuming it proves to be so in the coming longer test period reviews, something which so far, we all seem to be in accord with. We all weigh these various aspects differently, of course, and that is also fine and fair.

It would appear however, that you still get what you pay for, or not, and should the as yet to be finished/released/unleashed!/reviewed EX30 turn out to be the final choice between your shortlist of the 3, 50-plus mph suspension wheels (assuming the V13 is also coming in similarly beyond whatever ‘price: value for money’  ratio you are working to) then hey! that’s great;  of course these EX30’s may indeed also be offered more cheaply from China, and again, all well and good or even better, assuming all the while a fair deal of the cards.     What I’m personally quite certain about, however, is that whilst all these three wheels will offer suspension, speed potential aplenty for most, and decent range for the battery capacity, one of these contenders will possibly struggle to offer durability, superior design and subsequent function, and (in all likelihood, based upon first principles) reliability -  traits which in no small part formed some of the reasons the Leaperkim team quit the House of Gotway in the first instance.      

I like very much and still often use my Gotway MSP, but of late, to my mind, Begode/Gotway’s offerings have been coming up somewhat short; it is to be hoped that they ‘knock it out of the park’ with their EX30, but again speaking personally, I have my doubts. Ruskin’s warning re buying on price alone still holds weight for some, more than a century later…

I personally feel the additional anticipated weight of the InMotion Challenger might be a touch too much for some (price considerations parked), but so far there is surprisingly little of concern in the S for my own application. Still watching on with interest, of course, but then again, winter draws near, and time is yet on our side, so for myself, no need to rush in here.

Edited by Freeforester

1 hour ago, Freeforester said:

It’s also a perspective one may suppose, though I’m personally unclear that the non-suspension Max might have similar handling characteristics as the suspension enabled S, though I’m content that the basic and familiar Sherman heft -  ‘solidity’ - will be there, as before. 

In stating that one cannot change out the suspension if you want to, yet it is great the way it is, Jack sounds like a bright future in either sales or politics may await him - a man for all reasons, and a reason for all men - just my perspective, lol!

I’m not personally convinced that (crumple zones notwithstanding…🤔😂) there won’t be scratches on the casings in the event of a tumble, Jack’s ride looked a little scratched up already, but this will doubtless be mitigated by many via the use of bump tape or aftermarket impact absorbers, I’m personally a fan of Splyce’s bodyguards, which serve to take the beating in a big way, so the actual wheel doesn’t have to, for the greater part. That being said, we all have our personal thresholds for speed, etc, and no two incidents are identical, and nor are the outcomes. The fact that the handles are designed to crumple is still a plus in my book. The seat/handle and stand - all likely to be improved upon, if not by Lk, then by the others catering to such needs, but again, of little major concern, personally speaking.

I agree that the ‘S’ wheel looks very solid and smooth, though I’d personally prefer to buy from a local dealer and pay the premium for the pre-delivery checks, after-sales back-up service and warranty (suggested price here IRO £3895), and I’ve no complaint whatsoever about paying for the design and execution of a good suspension, assuming it proves to be so in the coming longer test period reviews, something which so far, we all seem to be in accord with. We all weigh these various aspects differently, of course, and that is also fine and fair.

It would appear however, that you still get what you pay for, or not, and should the as yet to be finished/released/unleashed!/reviewed EX30 turn out to be the final choice between your shortlist of the 3, 50-plus mph suspension wheels (assuming the V13 is also coming in similarly beyond whatever ‘price: value for money’  ratio you are working to) then hey! that’s great;  of course these EX30’s may indeed also be offered more cheaply from China, and again, all well and good or even better, assuming all the while a fair deal of the cards.     What I’m personally quite certain about, however, is that whilst all these three wheels will offer suspension, speed potential aplenty for most, and decent range for the battery capacity, one of these contenders will possibly struggle to offer durability, superior design and subsequent function, and (in all likelihood, based upon first principles) reliability -  traits which in no small part formed some of the reasons the Leaperkim team quit the House of Gotway in the first instance.      

I like very much and still often use my Gotway MSP, but of late, to my mind, Begode/Gotway’s offerings have been coming up somewhat short; it is to be hoped that they ‘knock it out of the park’ with their EX30, but again speaking personally, I have my doubts. Ruskin’s warning re buying on price alone still holds weight for some, more than a century later…

I personally feel the additional anticipated weight of the InMotion Challenger might be a touch too much for some (price considerations parked), but so far there is surprisingly little of concern in the S for my own application. Still watching on with interest, of course, but then again, winter draws near, and time is yet on our side, so for myself, no need to rush in here.

Very well thought out sentiments for sure. The EX30 isn't on my list (or any begode for that matter), I am mainly between the V13 and Sherman S. After reading about the alleged shift in philosophy the inmotion team when building the v13, it gives me hope that it will be a fantastic wheel for those who need something like that. In my current situation its just a matter of deciding between a sherman S for 3200 or a v13 for 4000. Based on what I have read, the v13 gives me ewheels support, better lights, higher speed, more headroom, more rider safety (tiltback, etc), smart BMS, and gobs of power. However, the sherman S gives me (likely) better suspension, cheaper cost, more aesthetically pleasing wheel, and better form factor for my use case. If this were a matter of sherman s vs v13 for full retail price, I wouldn't even be considering the sherman. But this is all my anecdotal stuff. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Unicycle Santa said:

However, the sherman S gives me (likely) better suspension, cheaper cost, more aesthetically pleasing wheel...

I actually think the v13 looks amazing, to me it's the best looking big wheel on the market by far. Don't get me wrong the Sherman-S looks are a step above Begode wheels, but for me I'd just describe it as fairly good (but not great) looking.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

I got to ride the SherMax again a bit one Sunday. I was certain that the wheel was in soft or at least medium mode, since I could feel the traditional GW house brand slow swaying while accelerating straight. The owner of the wheel checked, and it was in the hard mode.

I wonder if the ShermS does the same. I’m not really considering buying it, but it felt bad enough to be a showstopper for me. I know I’m spoiled with Inmotion’s nearly limitless pedal sensitivity options, but it really shouldn’t be that bad. I’m not even using the hardest end of the V11’s spectrum!

I hope we’ll hear more about the pedal modes and their behavior in the future reviews. WrongWay especially seems to have a good feel for these things.

• Like 3

It looks like, if you're already sold on a Begode, Veteran, InMotion, or Kingsong, most likely you'll stick with that brand. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm leaning more on Sherman S because I really enjoy my Sherman OG reliability. To me, LK is not overreaching and experimenting with 126V or 134V power system. Which is fine, as long as it is reliable and all I do is ride with predictable range. I hate carry a charger.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The v13 is likely too big/heavy for my needs, but everything else I like about it so far. The ex30 is likely the same, without handles, and less structurally sound. The Sherman S seems to be a nice middle-ground, but I don't think it'll be as durable as the v13, and therefore, more expensive with parts, etc. I'm willing to wait to see how the v13 and ex30 turn out, as well as 2nd batches of sherman s

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BKW said:

I'm willing to wait to see how the v13 and ex30 turn out, as well as 2nd batches of sherman s

It's great to see more riders are vocalizing that they are willing to wait, and would consider them for purchase only after the wheels have been shown to be free from serious defects and other major issues.

48 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

It looks like, if you're already sold on a Begode, Veteran, InMotion, or Kingsong, most likely you'll stick with that brand. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm leaning more on Sherman S because I really enjoy my Sherman OG reliability. To me, LK is not overreaching and experimenting with 126V or 134V power system. Which is fine, as long as it is reliable and all I do is ride with predictable range. I hate carry a charger.

I absolutely love my little v11 but I'll happily upgrade to an S22, Sherman S, or V13. Not everyone has brand preference, I just go for what the best bang for the buck is at the time. This time around it seems it might be the Sherman (at least if you get it on sale). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

It's great to see more riders are vocalizing that they are willing to wait, and would consider them for purchase only after the wheels have been shown to be free from serious defects and other major issues.

Yeah these were my thought's exactly which is why I pre-orderd a batch 2 from Eevees instead of a batch 1. Waiting is the hardest part!

Pads for Sherman-S?

Maybe Grizzla Pads - Big?

I'd also like to get a faster charger with 8A or more, I'd prefer to charge during the day while I keep an eye on it rather than leave the wheel charging overnight.  The wheel has 2 charge ports and claims up to 15A is fine, it comes with a 5A charger so I would assume that I could use that 5A charger plugged into one port and an 8-10A charger plugged into the other port to really pump that charge in.  Any recommendations for a good 100.8V 8-10A charger?

There is this idea that buying stuff on special saves you money, but my bank account is looking very empty now!  I know this Sherman-S was a really good price from GT King Store at around USD 3,300 and I definitely was able to consider the purchase much more easily than at the normal price of almost USD 4,200.  But this is a pretty big wheel and weighs 44kg, there would be situations that call for something more compact and lighter - so I've taken the opportunity to save 15% and order a V12HT from GT King Store as well, hence the empty looking bank account.  I'll definitely be looking to sell my RS HS and quite likely my Mantis Pro too, I think my e-MTB + Sherman-S + V12HT should cover my needs pretty well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

Not really, I spread the wealth. I really believe the 16x would be my favorite if it had 10 mph more top speed as I find riding in the low 30s the sweet spot but unfortunately that’s 16x cutout speed.

2 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

Pads for Sherman-S?

I'd also like to get a faster charger with 8A or more, I'd prefer to charge during the day while I keep an eye on it rather than leave the wheel charging overnight.  The wheel has 2 charge ports and claims up to 15A is fine, it comes with a 5A charger so I would assume that I could use that 5A charger plugged into one port and an 8-10A charger plugged into the other port to really pump that charge in.  Any recommendations for a good 100.8V 8-10A charger?

There is this idea that buying stuff on special saves you money, but my bank account is looking very empty now!  I know this Sherman-S was a really good price from GT King Store at around USD 3,300 and I definitely was able to consider the purchase much more easily than at the normal price of almost USD 4,200.  But this is a pretty big wheel and weighs 44kg, there would be situations that call for something more compact and lighter - so I've taken the opportunity to save 15% and order a V12HT from GT King Store as well, hence the empty looking bank account.  I'll definitely be looking to sell my RS HS and quite likely my Mantis Pro too, I think my e-MTB + Sherman-S + V12HT should cover my needs pretty well.

Why not pick up a V11 from amazon for ~1800? They go on sale for that price pretty often!

17 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Why not pick up a V11 from amazon for ~1800? They go on sale for that price pretty often!

There are several reasons, including not being interested in the V11, I would be bothered by the low top speed (I chose my RS HS partly because of how much head room the top speed gave me).  Also, it isn't so easy to ship EUCs or any other devices with such large lithium ion batteries to New Zealand.  From the AliExpress sellers there are also very limited options for shipping PEVs and I won't be getting either of the wheels I've ordered until mid-January.  There were faster options that showed up from GT King Store, but apparently they can't use those to send to NZ and I got refunded the extra that I had paid for fast shipping.

Currently the only other wheel that I'd really like to buy is the V13, but I feel that I've already spent too much and the Sherman-S is probably a big enough and stable enough wheel to keep me happy.  The V12HT is noticeably more compact than the V11 and has more power, speed and range.  If I want to ride an EUC with suspension, I'll have my Sherman-S.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

Pads for Sherman-S?

I've gone ahead and ordered Grizzla's newer "Flow" pads (size large) that are adjustable in anticipation of recieving the Sherman early next year. I've also opted for all the reflectors and whatnot and so it should look pretty good.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I've gone ahead and ordered Grizzla's newer "Flow" pads (size large) that are adjustable in anticipation of recieving the Sherman early next year. I've also opted for all the reflectors and whatnot and so it should look pretty good.

Same, I have them here now.  I have the previous large Grizzla's on my Sherman Max and they work good too

• Upvote 1

For a long time, I've wished for an EUC that was made in the USA and would have higher quality and reliability.  This isn't made in the USA, but it seems that this is the high quality wheel I've been waiting for.  It doesn't have as much performance for the price as a Begode, but I'm willing to pay more for higher quality.  I hope that other manufacturers realize that this is the right way to build wheels and perhaps we may see a "high quality Begode" in the future.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Just watched the video, seems like everyone is sharing the same sentiment that this is a very good riding suspension wheel with the only slight hesitation being the voltage. I like it.

I've never rode a wheel more than 100V. Does it really make that much a difference for higher volt wheels or is this all nerd hype? If it doesn't make that much a difference then who cares

1 hour ago, 360rumors said:

For a long time, I've wished for an EUC that was made in the USA and would have higher quality and reliability.  This isn't made in the USA, but it seems that this is the high quality wheel I've been waiting for.  It doesn't have as much performance for the price as a Begode, but I'm willing to pay more for higher quality.  I hope that other manufacturers realize that this is the right way to build wheels and perhaps we may see a "high quality Begode" in the future.

I learned that "made in USA" does not equate to quality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKW said:

I've never rode a wheel more than 100V. Does it really make that much a difference for higher volt wheels or is this all nerd hype? If it doesn't make that much a difference then who cares

I haven't either but from what I've heard the extra voltage really helps for guys who want to cruise in the 40-45mph range.  At 100v, 45 mph on an 18 inch wheel is playing with fire.  At 134v you still have plenty of headroom.

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wstuart said:

I haven't either but from what I've heard the extra voltage really helps for guys with to cruise in the 40-45mph range.  At 100v, 45 mph on an 18 inch wheel is playing with fire.  At 134v you still have plenty of headroom.

That's my main hesitation with the Sherman and why I have a v13 on preorder. All the roads in my area are pretty open and smooth so cruising around 35-45 is ideal, but on a wheel that maxes out at 45 it's not the most comfortable feeling. However the Sherman has that sweet sweet suspension.

Edited by Unicycle Santa