Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

Well I guess it would be nice to have a fancy colour touch screen but I can live with an 80's display if the rest of the wheel is as reliable as the old Shermie.

Plus if it was a touch UI then people would moan they can't work it with gloves :)

I purposefully didn't mention a touch screen for that exact reason. But having a calculator display (TFT?) to choose settings from?? Why not an actual screen with, you know, pixels, to show actual text?

Though I agree, all this should be pretty far down on anyone's priority list, as long as the wheel is reliable.

Another Sherman-S production photo floating around on Telegram and Discord:

unknown.png?width=635&height=843

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/19/2022 at 2:35 PM, DragonFZ said:

I feel what killed the Abrams was the lack of support and solving the issue from the manufacturer. There's only so much a reseller can do.  With the T4, have to wait and see what Begode is going to do with the motor. It has to be a new motor from another motor manufacturer (what Kingsong doing with S22) and they have to eat the replacement cost.

Could be that the QA boot is now on the other foot, so to speak, ie the motors which have been sourced from outwith Begode  being made to ‘Bai lan’ standards - maybe the company will begin to appreciate that the concerns customers and distributors raise are indeed worth addressing - every cloud…

Sorry for the derail.

I'm happy that they got rid of the metal rods for a trolley handle. Those things broke all the time and would run anywhere from 50-80 bucks! I already replaced mine at least a few times. However, if this trolley handle is also easily breakable it's gonna be EXPENSIVE to fix being it has a seat on it and its size alone. I feel like the trolley handles need to evolve, so I'm happy something is changing at least (just hope it's not easily breakable).

Edited by ETAonTheEUC

11 hours ago, ETAonTheEUC said:

I'm happy that they got rid of the metal rods for a trolley handle. Those things broke all the time and would run anywhere from 50-80 bucks! I already replaced mine at least a few times. However, if this trolley handle is also easily breakable it's gonna be EXPENSIVE to fix being it has a seat on it and its size alone. I feel like the trolley handles need to evolve, so I'm happy something is changing at least (just hope it's not easily breakable).

Based on how it looks I am pretty sure that thing isn't going anywhere. The handle on the v11 is similar but nowhere near as rugged and I've done some stupid stuff with it. Carrying the whole wheel from the trolley handle, twisting the wheel pretty damn hard, slamming it open and shut. If that can handle the abuse I'm sure this one will too.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:53 AM, Planemo said:

Good spot!

That possibly makes sense that they may be 57lb and 62lb. Single coils for MTB forks average between 30lb and 60lb so given an MTB shares the total weight between front and rear, around 60lb+ may be about right for EUC use. Also, MTB springs usually step in 5lb increments so that may be why Veteran went for the same, but really we may need to be doubling the steps for EUC use (10lb) given we are loading the single spring only and don't have any 'rear' suspension to help.

Hopefully once we get full dimensions of the Sherman spring, I may look into seeing if I can supply various poundage springs to enable riders to get their wheels just right. For sure, just having a 57 and 62 available isn't going to work for a lot of riders. I think we'd need a spread of say 50lb to 110lb in at least 10lb increments, 5lb even better.

Once we get a bit of feedback on how the stock Sherman springs work with a few different rider weights we'll know whereabouts we are going.

They said in Telegram that it’s confirmed that there will be two suspension ratings will be coming out from the factory:

Note: There's 58 lbs and 62 lbs two version suspensions. We recommend friends that weighing 80 kg or less choose the 58 lbs version and weighing over 80Kg choose 62 lbs version.

Sherman-S will mass-produce after the China National Festival…

44 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Note: There's 58 lbs and 62 lbs two version suspensions. We recommend friends that weighing 80 kg or less choose the 58 lbs version and weighing over 80Kg choose 62 lbs version.

Sherman-S will mass-produce after the China National Festival…

Yes, I saw that mentioned on Telegram too. Looks like it's quoted 'word for word' as per what I originally posted from Ali Express seller Wheeltech Store, back on 3 October page 14!

There was some recent video/photo evidence from the same seller online, showing an unboxed 58lb spring version and Also an unopened box marked 62lb.

No official confirmation as yet from Leaperkim, but we can pretty much be certain/confident of these 2 options.

Both eevee's and Electric Dreams have promised reviews coming very soon, and hopefully this topic and more in depth suspension details is the kind of information they discuss/confirm, along with All the usual more obvious data!!??

Not Holding my breath though!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

I would like to move up to something with more speed/range/stability and have been seriously considering buying a Sherman Max.  Here in New Zealand the roads and paths are often not as good as they could be, maybe a suspension wheel would be beneficial?  I do bend my knees when going over bumps on my RS, but I still feel the thump and maybe if I upgrade then I really should step up to a suspension wheel.  My e-MTB has front & rear suspension and my e-scooter also has suspension, but not my RS.

Maybe I should forget about the Sherman Max.  It is horribly expensive, the Sherman-S is less than 5% more money and it has suspension.  If I was going to spend the money and buy a Sherman Max than I think that I might as well spend a little more and go with the Sherman-S instead.  Does that sound sensible to you guys?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiMark said:

I would like to move up to something with more speed/range/stability and have been seriously considering buying a Sherman Max.  Here in New Zealand the roads and paths are often not as good as they could be, maybe a suspension wheel would be beneficial?  I do bend my knees when going over bumps on my RS, but I still feel the thump and maybe if I upgrade then I really should step up to a suspension wheel.  My e-MTB has front & rear suspension and my e-scooter also has suspension, but not my RS.

Maybe I should forget about the Sherman Max.  It is horribly expensive, the Sherman-S is less than 5% more money and it has suspension.  If I was going to spend the money and buy a Sherman Max then I think that I might as well spend a little more and go with the Sherman-S instead.  Does that sound sensible to you guys?

I’ve made my choice. I am getting the Max as soon as they arrive in Wellington next month. I will probably post separately why I made this decision, I can probably summarise it by saying I can’t risk losing an ability to commute for whatever reason a new model can come with. I no longer have a car and can only have a time-tested wheel.

Even if ShermaS doesn’t have any problems as a model, I decided for myself to not go with suspension to limit the number of things I will need to be aware/worried/care about… :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

If I was going to spend the money and buy a Sherman Max than I think that I might as well spend a little more and go with the Sherman-S instead.  Does that sound sensible to you guys?

It make sense to at least wait a bit longer and see how the Sherman-S stacks up.

From what we have seen so far, the Sherman-S is looking very promising, possibly a class leading suspension wheel.

The suspension is based on mountain bike front suspension fork, which are known to be durable, reliable, and low maintenance, when compared to what we have seen in the euc world. Plus the suspension action looked to be class leading.

Leaper Kim has led us to believe that they have managed to figure out how to limit current when over torqued at very low speeds, and thus avoiding cutouts.

It looks like they removed a lot of Gotway DNA, and raised the bar a couple of notches for build quality, at least based on what we have seen so far. 

Rumors are suggesting that the Sherman-S is about to be shipped to customers. 

So, it may not be much longer before real customers get their hands on them. Then see where the chips may fall. And decide whether to get the Sherman Max or Sherman-S. 

Edited by techyiam

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

I can’t risk losing an ability to commute for whatever reason a new model can come with. I no longer have a car and can only have a time-tested wheel.

I also have sold my car, but I can walk to work in 6 minutes and I have an e-MTB as well as an e-scooter and my RS.  I could sell the e-scooter and if I bought a Sherman-S I could sell my RS, but I would still keep the e-MTB.  I don't like the idea of only having one option because you never know what might happen - it is always good to have a backup.

I might try to restrain myself somewhat and hold off ordering a new EUC for a while, but I think I'll scrap the idea of the Sherman Max and keep a close eye on reviews for the Sherman-S so I can decide if it is a wheel I want to spend my hard-earned money on.  When suspension wheels first came out none appealed, but now we are seeing more & better choices, so I'll see how things look with the Sherman-S and V13 and others.

• Upvote 2

Suspension is the future but unfortunately waiting longer to see if new wheels doesn't turn out to be potatoes is also the future. 😅

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dycus said:

Demonstrated in a Telegram video (https://t.me/veteranUS/46693), the Sherman S has a "backup battery mode" that can be enabled in the settings. When off, the low-voltage warning comes on at 78V (3.25V per cell), and tiltback at 75.6V (3.15V/cell), both same as before. But with backup battery mode enabled, the warning will then be at 72V (3.0V/cell) and tiltback at 69.6V (2.9V/cell).

Wow. 2.9V/cell is the lowest of any EUC to date. Granted, they have the serials to back it up, as long as balancing is done well. Any info on balancing, or individual cell group voltage monitoring?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Wow. 2.9V/cell is the lowest of any EUC to date. Granted, they have the serials to back it up, as long as balancing is done well. Any info on balancing, or individual cell group voltage monitoring?

Maybe it'll work, but the voltage sag at 3V/cell is so bad that any load at all isn't tolerable. Maybe they have enough in parallel to manage but I'd only use backup mode so I could walk the wheel. I certainly wouldn't be riding it.

• Upvote 2