Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

At 97 lbs is it possible for this wheel to be in on position and pushed up and down the stairs slowly step-by-step while holding the trolley handle? And if not, has it been suggested to manufacturers that they can do some kind of step up and down mode? For example, if the wheel is climbing steps, once the tire touches the step, it will have extra torque for a fraction of a second to climb that step; once it's going down a step it will put on the brake so that the step down goes slowly.

For all of you who are interested in this wheel and have no experience competing in the World's Strongest Man, how are you going to deal with it if you live in an apartment building where you have to go through stairs?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

For all of you who are interested in this wheel and have no experience competing in the World's Strongest Man, how are you going to deal with it if you live in an apartment building where you have to go through stairs?

For me, I'm fairly strong. I have the SherMax, which is 86lbs, and I go up stairs constantly day to day. The trick is to lift up a few steps, hold it and walk to catch up, then repeat until the top. 10 more pounds for me isn't a big deal since the SherMax doesn't feel that heavy to me and the lift durations are in short increments. For others, this may obviously be a concern. This is why having handles are crucial for me, which is one reason why I reconsidered the EX30. Even if the wheel is heavy as hell, I believe you should have some type of handles to lift it, even if needing two people, etc.

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jmsjms said:

At 97 lbs is it possible for this wheel to be in on position and pushed up and down the stairs slowly step-by-step while holding the trolley handle? And if not, has it been suggested to manufacturers that they can do some kind of step up and down mode? For example, if the wheel is climbing steps, once the tire touches the step, it will have extra torque for a fraction of a second to climb that step; once it's going down a step it will put on the brake so that the step down goes slowly.

i keep my wheels in my garage and just ride them out onto the street. but... i do often put them in the back of my SUV to join a group ride. my back is not that robust these days. if it proves to be a problem, i will use a ramp to get the wheel into my car.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BKW said:

For me, I'm fairly strong. I have the SherMax, which is 86lbs, and I go up stairs constantly day to day. The trick is to lift up a few steps, hold it and walk to catch up, then repeat until the top. 10 more pounds for me isn't a big deal since the SherMax doesn't feel that heavy to me and the lift durations are in short increments. For others, this may obviously be a concern. This is why having handles are crucial for me, which is one reason why I reconsidered the EX30. Even if the wheel is heavy as hell, I believe you should have some type of handles to lift it, even if needing two people, etc.

I carry mine daily up and down 2 flights of stairs, I use my knee as leverage which makes thing eaiser and more effective. However I feel that 40kg really is the limit after that it's just gonna become increasingly painful to carry.

13 hours ago, evans036 said:

i keep my wheels in my garage and just ride them out onto the street. but... i do often put them in the back of my SUV to join a group ride. my back is not that robust these days. if it proves to be a problem, i will use a ramp to get the wheel into my car.

When I got my Sherman OG, I thought OMG what a heavy wheel 77 lbs. Now that I've lift this wheel for 2 years, it's not big deal. I've probably added 10 lbs of accessories to the wheel. 

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

For those obtaining the Sherman S, can you keep a very close eye on whether you start seeing ANY wear to the stanchions, the below is a pic of an MTB one which is unrecoverable (scrap). There should never be ANY signs of wear, at least not for many years.

If the Sherman S fares well on the wear front and replacement seals are available then I would say Veteran have cracked it.

2026982735_wornstanchion.jpg.337beae003f28abc96721c38afcfea36.jpg

I will keep an eye on mine, however ive also ridden MTB for almost a decade and have never seen this damage to a bike either

• Like 1

Wrong Way has done his first look...

Motherboard design, fixings and battery cases, and general build quality is pretty exceptional as EUCs go - really nicely done in a lot of ways. He has a lot of trouble assembling, but that probably doesn't apply to the release versions. Even so, tyre changes look like they might be horrible.

I really like this wheel - it looks wikkid cool, and seems 'solid as fuck' as my old nan used to say, but as usual, some slightly bizarre decisions stop it being uniformly brilliant.

1. The exposed battery cables under the pedals - perhaps the padding there will not contain holes in the production version ?

2. Mounting of charge ports on the front, facing oncoming rain. Better hope you never forget that cover, or it can't fall off during riding !

I do like their weird extendable pedals, in terms of length at least, presuming they hold up to the rigours of riding. And it might be a good thing that plates aren't quite as grippy as Begode, as repositioning feet is more awkward to do on those wheels, and I like to do it a lot, especially if it is windy.

So if I ever have reason to abandon the Master, this might well be where I am looking next...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

I liked his video. I think he made a good point regarding the way the suspension is set up. In all the tenders I assumed the bridge between the two suspension dampers was a structural section designed to connect them together. Turns out it's just a plastic mud guard. Now I'm not sure why they didn't make a metal bridge and mount the mud guard to that, but at this point massive redesigns won't be happening. I'm hoping having the two halves joined by the top section won't create an unbalanced rocking force that over time leads to failure, but we will just have to see.

Other than that, nothing really concerns me about the wheel. I'm coming from a v11 where the pedals are just flat with some sandpaper on them, so this is an upgrade regardless of how I look at it.

• Like 2

After seeing Wrong Way's unboxing, I'm not excited about the pedals, especially since the spikes are below/even with the pedal plate. This looks like an expensive and unnecessary future replacement for better pedals? I didn't pay too much attention to the trolley handle part (I should have), but it looks a bit "extra" to lift it up and move it around. When it comes to trolley handles I think they need to be fast and simple to lift up and move around -- these are a crucial part of the EUC in my mind. The plastic of the trolley handle doesn't bother me much, just as long as it holds up from the force for "booping" it up/off sidewalks and crashes. I think the shell is an improvement and much more durable than the OG versions, but if it breaks it's GONNA BE EXPENSIVE to replace.

After seeing this video, I'm willing to wait for 2nd batches if anything improves and see feedback. Also, I want to see how the V13 and EX30 compare as well.

Edited by BKW

Waa no "real" smart BMS?

In my book - i expect every "new" wheel should have them by now.. Simply lame/dumb trolly handle and pedals. (Ohh and those pedals won't stay up after ~half a year. Hope you don't mind pedals that don't stay up.) Getting aftermarket pedals will be kinda hard.. Battery cases still got plastic. Exposed wires under pedals - protected by plastic.

Only good thing is the suspension and bulky axle. (Doh having those 4x screws, screw right into axle itself - also somewhat bad..) To many problems right out of the box. Sorry if some of you think this thing is "amazing".. I see for what it is.

Not impressed.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Adam points out what he believes to be an issue here, but from an actual engineering point of view I see No issue with the way the whole top magnesium control board housing is securely bolted to the magnesium sides, the suspension legs and then of course the 40mm diameter axle!

If you reference previous photos and videos of the teardown, the side panels are shaped in such a way as to provide both recesses and spigots that securely locate/align/peg the holes to stop any chance of movement once bolted up.

The Axle mount, with its 4 bolts, also has a spigot that locates into the counterbore in the end of the axle further providing a solid fixture for the bottom of the suspension tube. Add to that the 8 bolts that attach the tops of each suspension leg to the inside of the side panels, IMHO makes for a very rigid structure indeed.

The plastic bridge Adam complains of does its job of holding the fender/motor cable well enough and should Not be looked upon as a structural element.

All the structural stability comes from the fact that the cleverly designed magnesium side panels (No flexible/crack prone plastic) lock/bolt into the whole top magnesium control board housing, then the suspension units and in turn are solidly located and tied together with the spigot/4 bolt axle mounting assembly!

Agreed 

• Thanks 1

So confirmed as 3400Wh Battery.  Overall I quite like the wheel except for the exposed lower battery cables which is a real issue. Why did they do that? I ride through puddles frequently and in rain. Even having exposed cables like the Master would be easier to waterproof but at the bottom? seriously guys. 

In Wrong Way's video I can see that LeaperKim actually has put sealant under the top cover, which is great! Adam says there isn't any but I can see it in the groove of the top cover in that shot. 11:09

image.thumb.png.1488bc2175211769e5b603125ce471a0.png

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dycus said:

In Wrong Way's video I can see that LeaperKim actually has put sealant under the top cover, which is great! Adam says there isn't any but I can see it in the groove of the top cover in that shot. 11:09

Ah yeah I see that. It would be rediculous for LK not to put sealant there. Good find!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, dycus said:

WW did seem to be a little overly critical of the wheel IMHO

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, evans036 said:

WW did seem to be a little overly critical of the wheel IMHO

Yeah, he did sound a little bit soar, probably because of his literally painful experience with Abrams and how LeaperKim "stopped talking". 

He did say he couldn't stop riding the Sherman-S tho... ;-)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Yeah, he did sound a little bit soar, probably because of his literally painful experience with Abrams and how LeaperKim "stopped talking". 

He did say he couldn't stop riding the Sherman-S tho... ;-)

And he was under the weather and still made content 

• Like 3