V11 overcharged question

Celt26

So I accidentally l overcharged my V11 going down a hill at full battery. I noticed it went up to 86.5v which seems high! Are there no protections? Is it bad for the batteries?

I've overcharged other wheels but I don't think they ever went as high as the V11 did yesterday.

There are protections, and I think the V11 tilts back and prevents riding at 86.0V. But it could require a second or more duration for the overvoltage for the protection to kick in.

• Like 1

If nothing happened and the voltage is normal now after you have ridden more, you're good.

Was it just an intermediate reading (while riding maybe) or when standing still? Because that is a really high number, 4.325V per cell, the wheel should not have allowed that permanently.

• Like 1

My V11 is very sensitive to riding downhill with a full battery too, I have had overvoltage tiltback twice so far. Now I am super careful to burn off some electrons before going downhill after a full charge.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:00 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

If nothing happened and the voltage is normal now after you have ridden more, you're good.

Was it just an intermediate reading (while riding maybe) or when standing still? Because that is a really high number, 4.325V per cell, the wheel should not have allowed that permanently.

Hey so it was just after riding down two blocks of hills. I was really surprised it hit 86V. It did normalize afterwards but on my msx 100v and on my 18 XL I've NEVER been able to get that far past 100% before. I didn't get any complaints warnings or anything on the V11.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:23 AM, mrelwood said:

There are protections, and I think the V11 tilts back and prevents riding at 86.0V. But it could require a second or more duration for the overvoltage for the protection to kick in.

Thanks! I assume it would've taken a bit longer but still hitting 86.5v is concerning because I've never gone past 100% by a couple volts before...I'm worried I was going to damage the cells :/.

Btw do you happen to know what kind of 21700's Inmotion is using in the newer batches say from 2022? I know they used to use the LG M50T's, are they using the 50LT or something else now? I'm wondering because it would be sweet if it was the 50LT since they get twice the cycle life :). 

So this isn't actually overcharged that much, you're seeing a voltage spike due to regen. You know the voltage sag when you draw lots of current? That works in reverse.

I see battery resistance reported as 0.13 ohms in EUC world on my v11, and I can see -20A as an example current draw when I brake on a hill. This means I can expect the voltage to spike a couple volts when I do this braking, but the battery isn't actually being overcharged to this level, it will go back to 84V once I'm done. Still not a good thing to do on the regular though.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1