E-unicycling is similar to skiing

That Guy

Thought to share with you guys a discovery... :-) I spent last weekend on the slopes of NZ Southern Alps and was surprised how similar downhill skiing was to riding an EUC. It was the first time I was skiing since I fell in love with e-unicycling. The skiing technics is of course, very different (especially breaking :-)). But weirdly, I had the same adrenaline rush from the feel and desire for speed, the focus on the surface in the front, the carving, the improvement of the skills with every new ride... It also kinda was giving the same sense of "something is taking me there" thing that is unique to unicycles (and skiing!) when everything you do for moving is... falling forward?... :-)

Anyone knows what I am talking about? :-) 

• Like 2

It is... I first looked into OneWheels because they were developed as a "land snowboard", but settled on EUC because it appeared that carving was more like a long cruise down the blues. Without freezing your behind off (for the most part). Without lift lines. Without lift tickets. It's nearly perfect... you can power into turns, or just cruise. So fun!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Agree on all accounts. You can even increase the effect by putting on some underarmor or whatever else you would use skiing and taking the wheel for a spin in freezing temps for the same windchill factor feeling.

50 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Without lift lines. Without lift tickets. It's nearly perfect... you can power into turns, or just cruise. So fun!

I used to go snowboarding at Crystal Mountain 2 or 3 times a year, but with their ridiculous price increases over the last few years I threw in the towel. What was it like $120-$130 for a day this last season?!

Now my lift ticket costs $0.10 or whatever it is to charge haha. To hell with lift tickets!

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It is... I first looked into OneWheels because they were developed as a "land snowboard", but settled on EUC because it appeared that carving was more like a long cruise down the blues. Without freezing your behind off (for the most part). Without lift lines. Without lift tickets. It's nearly perfect... you can power into turns, or just cruise. So fun!

Totally!

I guess, OneWheels limit the fun to just a little bit faster than dark green/beginner's skiing slopes, while some higher speed EUC's will take you to something like a diamond track...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:05 PM, That Guy said:

The skiing technics is of course, very different (especially breaking :-)).

7 minutes ago, drader said:

I'm not a skier, but isn't this a completely different skill set?

Yep. And that's what the OP said.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, drader said:

But on skis the outer leg in a turn gets longer; on an EUC the outer leg gets shorter. I'm not a skier, but isn't this a completely different skill set?

Yip, completely different. That’s what surprised me, the sensation is surprisingly similar. Also progressing through the complexity of skiing slopes reminded me the desire for greater max speed on EUC… Weird… :-)

• Like 1

I think there can be similarities between skiing and EUCs, depending on how you ski and how you ride EUCs.  They feel somewhat similar when carving.