Battery in hibernation mood then revived to blinking green light to now a solid green after attempted charging the battery indicator level reads dead no Bluetooth connectivity and hard reset and wheels spin in opposite alternating directions indefinitely

I was sold a ninebot mini almost a year ago but didn't have a charger so it sat dead for a very long time I kept buying charges for it thinking that it just needed charged but my battery had went into "hibernation mode" I used a multimeter and learned my battery was pouring out about 5 volts when its supposed to be alt higher.  So I watched some videos on YouTube and found that the battery needed to be jumped so I put wires straight on the connectors to the scooter and juiced it up for a little bit. Then I plugged the actual charger into just the battery itself and light started blinking with 1 second intervals so I put the battery back on the scooter and plugged the charger into it to let it charge.  The charger indicator light turned red like normal charging mode so I let that sit for a little bit and when the light turned solid green and was supposed to be fully charged I found the issues of the battery level indicator showing completely empty,  it stopped displaying the battery level on the bottom of the minipro. Now when I try to connect to the app the minipro beeps once, the app says "connecting" for about 30 seconds and then says "bluetooth connection failed." I tried doing a factory reset by turning it upside down and hitting the power button but the wheels just turn in opposite alternating directions indefinitely. So I took the battery back off and found the light was solid green now and not flashing anymore.  I left the battery off the scooter for a few days and came back to find the light was blinking again with the one second intervals so I put the battery back on and everything repeated itself from start to finish with the battery ending up solid green again then when staying off the scooter for a few days it went back to blinking green with one second intervals.  So this time I plugged the battery in off the scooter to find that one plugged in the light immediately turns to blinking red for a little while and the charger indicator light stays red for a bit then the battery light goes to solid green.  Does anyone know what the problem is. Idk what to do from here. At this moment the battery light is a solid green and has not changed since. 

• Like 1

If your scooter sat idle for as long as you've indicated ("for a very long time"), it will have self-discharged sufficiently to kill cells in the battery. You can confirm this by opening up the device and testing each cell with a voltmeter. If you can't get to each cell, you might be able to get to each cell's balance lead. You can select just about any pair, but the correct way to test using the balance leads is to contact adjacent balance leads. This will give you single cell readings.

Even a nearly dead cell will take a forced charge but will die almost immediately after the power is removed. If done incorrectly, it's also possible to damage or destroy the cell and possible create an explosive event, although that would take some doing, generally speaking.

I suspect you'll find that multiple cells are kaput and you'll have to replace the pack to return it to functioning condition. My Airwheel S8 died a "normal" death from time and I was able to construct a replacement pack from cells purchased domestically. What would have been a full charge that deteriorated to 80 percent in a single day now has become a three or four day stable full charge.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, fred_dot_u said:

If your scooter sat idle for as long as you've indicated ("for a very long time"), it will have self-discharged sufficiently to kill cells in the battery. You can confirm this by opening up the device and testing each cell with a voltmeter. If you can't get to each cell, you might be able to get to each cell's balance lead. You can select just about any pair, but the correct way to test using the balance leads is to contact adjacent balance leads. This will give you single cell readings.

Even a nearly dead cell will take a forced charge but will die almost immediately after the power is removed. If done incorrectly, it's also possible to damage or destroy the cell and possible create an explosive event, although that would take some doing, generally speaking.

I suspect you'll find that multiple cells are kaput and you'll have to replace the pack to return it to functioning condition. My Airwheel S8 died a "normal" death from time and I was able to construct a replacement pack from cells purchased domestically. What would have been a full charge that deteriorated to 80 percent in a single day now has become a three or four day stable full charge.

Thank you for the advice I am going to look at the cells and see if I can find anything. Also since I have posted this post the indicator light stayed solid green for a few days to just now started flashing green again with one second intervals. Does this still correlate with what you think might be happening?

• Like 1

Following.

My first S8 bumped into a curb and lost its motherboard, and I haven't been able to replace the board (pandemic, little old lady), so I had been thinking that at least the batteries might be usable in the future for the second S8 that I bought with the insurance company money when they were unable to repair my first S8.

Sounds like you're saying that may not be an option. The S8 is my mobility device, and has traveled to and from Boulder in the onboard wheelchair closet of United safely. I'd really hate not to have it.

How long is the 'natural life'?

I share your opinion. I was able to return one of my questionable S8 scooters to operational status by building a battery pack. The battery welder I purchased was too much on the cheap side and I think some of my welds have released. Recently, the power button provided no power and the charger would not indicate connection. I think I'll have to take it apart and re-spot weld some of the cells. It's disturbing to be so limited.

Rather than use one of the 4 wheel store provided scooters, I returned home and charged up the other S8, even though I know the pack is weak. I was surprised to find that it's stronger than I thought, but it also needs to be replaced, as I'm sure that there are bad, dying or dead cells within.

My first S8 had a fracture of the frame just under the seat, dumping me on my backside at very slow speed. Helmet protected the skull. I ordered and received a replacement frame, but when assembled, I pinched one of the wires and the scooter would not return to life. It makes no sense to me that a sensor wire (turning, seat switch) would cause a main failure, but now I have a carcass for spare parts of questionable quality.

Even Airwheel is abandoning the S8 for the S8 mini, which uses a unicycle seat. Unicycle seats cause prostate problems on these types of transports.

I don't know what I'll do if I run out of S8 scooters.

I did NOT know the S8 mini is a replacement for the S8 - and there is no way I can use a unicycle seat! I have added a gel seat and extra purple crate stuff to the original seat because it is too uncomfortable for long use otherwise - and that seat is marginal.

Glad you have some spare parts, but I have no ability to deconstruct and test what I have, and I have the feeling paying for someone to do it (the S8s are not well known) would be expensive. Wish I had my old before-ME/CFS brain AND my workshop in my New Jersey basement - then I might tackle something like what you're doing. As it is, all I'd do now probably is waste potential spare parts by not knowing what I'm doing!

I would try a unicycle someone had added a proper seat to, but am not sure that's the safest option for someone who is already disabled and about to turn 73!

Can't believe I've had an S8 since my birthday four years ago because I knew I'd regret it forever if I didn't at least TRY.

I have an Focus Designs SBU v2 which is lacking only a battery to become operational again. It has a genuine unicycle seat to which I attribute a good portion of my visits to the urologist. Despite stating that I had the device, he chose to ignore my statements until I was unable to ride it, at which point the symptoms abated somewhat. Not soon enough, which means a lifetime tied to a pharmacy, but better than it was! It's really difficult for me to try to market/sell the SBU because of that aspect of the vehicle, but it sure was a ton o' fun compared to the S8. 15 mph top end, but the handling was a blast. Not as easy to learn, but still pretty easy. Had a friend try it and over two 20 minute lessons, was zipping up and down the driveway. I miss it, even though it's collecting dust in my garage.

I also wish I had the electronics acumen to figure out the problem with S8#1, but without any form of schematic or manufacturer's support, we are on a sinking ship!

You probably did consider attaching a better seat to your Focus - but it's not easy to change the design of these critters when they have been optimized. Pricey!

For some reason, having a solid platform for my feet suits me on the Airwheel S8 - not sure I could adjust, in my sandals, to the unicycle's tiny pedals PLUS I'm not sure, at my age, I could do it safely. I may have reached my limits. But thanks for pointing out its existence - and I'll start to wonder about the seat part.

A real unicycle would certainly be the next step in 'cool old lady.'

Yeah, the SBU has been out of production for years. The emails and phone calls go unanswered. The one I have is still a good ride, and I have the battery welder which would allow me to build a new pack for it.

I had learned to ride a pedal unicycle when I was in my forties and it is a ton of work. Without the book "Learn to ride the unicycle" found back then online, I would not have tried to learn, but the book provided a solid foundation to allow me to understand how it works.

I don't think being an S8 operator makes it easier or harder to learn to ride an SBU. It may make it easier to understand the practice and the general aspects of any self-balancing device.

Think of the SBU as a bicycle and the S8 as a trike. In the latter, on the part of the operator, no real balancing is required; it's managed by the electronics. On the former, one has to provide left/right balancing, just as with a bicycle. Equally appropriate, once up to speed, the balancing left/right is managed by the wheel.

In the case of the SBU, up to speed is about 5 mph at first, then as low as one or two mph when one becomes comfortable.

I really miss riding it, ten times the fun of the S8, and that's not lacking much either.

Here's a teaching scenario for the SBU:

pedals retracted/folded up, seat low enough for feet on the ground.

Rock fore and aft, don't move feet from position.

Rock fore and aft, move/drag feet accordingly.

One pedal down, repeat the two rocking steps.

Repeat second rocking step with greater travel until down foot isn't needed on the ground. Other pedal down, boogie on!

Edited by fred_dot_u

Hey, thanks! Nice to see I could if I 1) had an SBU, 2) dared.

Ask me again if 1) I survive upcoming surgery in a usable condition to ride narrow bike seats comfortably, and 2) the long-covid research helps those of us with other post-viral syndromes to get better.

Otherwise, I may have reached my limits.

Hope my S8 works for a long time.

I've arranged for my fourth S8 this week, used but with a new and uncertain battery and some problem with no overspeed warning/auto-braking. The seller states that he might have mis-arranged the wiring when replacing the batteries, which makes me hopeful I can compare the inside to the photos I've taken or to compare to another working one I can open up again. Fourth S8 would mean three running machines, swapped in rotation to keep the batteries healthy and to keep a reserve fleet as they continue to vanish!

Sounds as if I should buy another one before the S8s disappear.

I can still try to find a motherboard for my first one - then someone to replace it. I think those batteries might be okay. Then I'd have two.

But I'm not sure the seat is a good idea! I'd love to try a broader seat - since I never plan to ride the S8 standing, it doesn't matter if the seat is wider.

After I received number four, I ordered a gel seat cover from Amazon, the widest one they have a Sanctus model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DTQRNKZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It doesn't fit particularly well, but does strap on to the seatpost and stays in place, plus the gel pads are in just the right spot.

Replacing the mainboard is likely to be an easy task, it's finding one that's the tough part. You're on the other side of the continent from me otherwise I'd be happy to toss a screwdriver at the project. Shipping is brutal nowadays and not likely to get better.

Thanks for even thinking of offering.

I keep thinking the world may get back to 'normal' one of these days, and, if I'm still here, there might be more life. There may or may not be motherboards then.

It's probably easier to just buy a new one on Ebay if you can find it.

I, too, tied on a gel seat - reasonably well (or I couldn't use my S8 at all) - but would rather have a flat seat like one on a lawn mower.

Too many other things on the plate right now.