Face plant

starman

Yeah I became a professional yesterday with my first face plant from my ninebot one e.Going to the hospital soon as I think I have broken my wrist. Mrs isn't very happy as I am 60 next birthday and she thinks I am too old for this (hehe).Are there any descent wrist guards out there for when my wrist is mended (I know its a bit late now but will need them for future use if the mrs still let's me out on it again). Oh well hospital here I come.

Yeah the best place to find them are skating shops.

Here are a couple of links to show you the sort of thing that would work well:

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/protection/wrist_guards/product_slug_18077.htm

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/protection/wrist_guards/triple8_roller_derby_wristsavers.htm

I don't know if you're in the UK or not but the two I just linked are well known brands that you can get anywhere. I have the TSG ones, they have a curved splint underneath and a straightish one above to stop sprains and breaks. It's best to get ones like those linked as they have replaceable splints which only cost a tiny amount.

When you get them, make sure you have elbow pads on too, because the wrist guards are designed to slide forward. The sliding prevents sprains, but you'll need something to slide on to. The best elbow pads for this have an upside down tear shape that covers part of the forearm as well as the elbow. I have these:

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/tsg/tsg_tahoe_d30_elbow_pads.htm

There's also a thread in here on general discussion called Impact Survey. There's some more info in there about protection, including wrist guards.

Hope you heal soon, and you're never too old to learn something new :-)

Sorry to hear about the fall but the only best way to test the limits of your wheel is to smash your body into the ground.

I have a riding partner here in Hong Kong that is 57 years old and pretty nimble on the wheel.

Oww, that sounds very painful... better move getting some wrist guards on the top of my list before this happens to me. I've face planted once (so far), but luckily walked away with no injuries, I use lots of protection, but no wrist guards yet.

I thought I was pretty good on my old X8 and was riding with my hands in my pockets as it was winter.

Over leaned and face planted, but couldn't get my hands out of my pockets quick enough, only one hand, the other only made it as far as my ribs, which I then broke one rib with that hand.

So needless to say, I learnt a valuable lesson that day, never ride an X8 and get a ninebot one instead.

I thought I was pretty good on my old X8 and was riding with my hands in my pockets as it was winter.

Over leaned and face planted, but couldn't get my hands out of my pockets quick enough, only one hand, the other only made it as far as my ribs, which I then broke one rib with that hand.

So needless to say, I learnt a valuable lesson that day, never ride an X8 and get a ninebot one instead.

Hahaha, I like your view of the situation.

I've been riding for several months now and have become a little complacent when riding. I've never worn any protection and my hands are always in my pockets. Today I had a close call where my EU became unsettled and my hands got stuck in my pockets while I was trying to regain balance. I saved it but it was scary.

I've never actually fallen off (touch wood) because I've always been able to run it off, thanks mainly to the fact that my TG-T3 has a pretty slow top speed compared to what you guys all ride. I guess the fact that it's so underpowered, I'm quite alert to the fact that it can just throw me off at anytime if it got stuck in a curb or a crack in the footpath.

Neverless, note to self: Use jacket side pockets not pants pockets as hands are less likely to get stuck in these - Or at least keep one hand out. Hands in tightish jeans = disaster waiting to happen :)

To OP, sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope you're back riding in no time

For everyone else, use this example as a reminder that these vehicles are not to be taken lightly and you can get seriously hurt if you don't respect them.

Have fun but excercise caution and wear protection where appropriate.

EDIT: I just realised I sound like a hypocrite as I don't wear protection. Don't follow me - I am an idiot, if you are concearned about being hurt wear protection.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope the wrist will turn out not to be that pad.

I have 'face-planted' myself once, on August 23rd last year, after about two months of ownership.

Probably overleaned the Solowheel and was indeed riding with my hands in the pockets of a vest and couldn't get them out quickly enough.

My elbow was badly strained and stiff for weeks and I needed a coupe of stitches in my chin.

Now I only ride with my vingers in my pockets in I am riding casual.

Before the fell, my biggest wish was that the Solowheel would be faster than the 16-18 km/h it is normally capable off.

Now, I am happy that I wasn't going like 25 when it happened.

Since my FP, , I have travelled another 1660 km on my Solowheel and haven't fallen anymore. Did become unstable at some moments, especially during the winter with some heavy raind and/or wind, and was forced to dismount, but fallen, luckily, NO.

Thanks for everyone's concerns over my wrist,I have broken it and might break it again if I can't stop this itching. I was doing about 20kph when the wheel seemed to go into freewheel almost like the giro had stopped and the fòotrests tipped forwards,still on the bright side it's the first time I've launched myself into concrete at 20kph WOW what an experience. Seriously though I did have bad wheel wobble for a couple of runs before the launch, whether that was me or the wheel I don't know. Thanks again to everyone you have cheered me up no end and if you have got an itch and can scratch it then please think of me with this itch producing cast and really enjoy yourself. Enjoy your wheel's everone

I have received my wheel, am waiting for a charger that works (I'm hoping Wednesday latest) & have decided that I'm not wearing any kind of protection other than gloves. I did a lot of sports/gym when I was younger so am pretty sure I can fall safely.

If not, I will update you all on how much I got hurt lol.

Thanks for everyone's concerns over my wrist,I have broken it and might break it again if I can't stop this itching. I was doing about 20kph when the wheel seemed to go into freewheel almost like the giro had stopped and the fòotrests tipped forwards,still on the bright side it's the first time I've launched myself into concrete at 20kmph WOW what an experience. Seriously though I did have bad wheel wobble for a couple of runs before the launch, whether that was me or the wheel I don't know. Thanks again to everyone you have cheered me up no end and if you have got an itch and can scratch then please think of me with this itch producing cast and really enjoy yourself. Enjoy your wheel's everone

I feel sorry for you, hope you have a speedy recovery and your missus still lets you ride your wheel. Was the battery low? It sounds like your wheel turned off due to battery running too low...

My safety gear's been missing wrist guards so far, went to four different sports equipment stores and two department stores today, all they had were these flimsy looking knee/elbow/wrist-guard sets that had very basic wrist guards (moulded plastic "cups" for your palm/wrist area and no splints). Have to order some online...

I have received my wheel, am waiting for a charger that works (I'm hoping Wednesday latest) & have decided that I'm not wearing any kind of protection other than gloves. I did a lot of sports/gym when I was younger so am pretty sure I can fall safely.

If not, I will update you all on how much I got hurt lol.

Lol,Good luck.I hope you will not get injured.

Man, I hate you broke your wrist. Thanks for the updates. I am 62 and have only been riding for two days, but am already up to several miles run and one SlamBamFasterthanaBlink Face Plant, while going up a hill. It was like the gyro just quit even though I still had two lights on, still don't know what happened. Fortunately I was wearing wrist guards, And Boy did I need em!!! You should see the asphat scars on them, not me! They saved me, no doubt. I wasn't wearing gloves though, and managed to let the end of my thumb and heel of palm paint my wheel and pavement a bright red. Now I wear Gloves also. I have taken half a dozen or so few falls, but none so bad that my body armor hasn't absorbed. This morning, after yesterday, I was so sore I could barely move, but a soak in the hot tub, followed by a yoga session  seemed to fix me right up. I seem to be catching on to this quicker than most despite my age. I suspect it may be due to Yoga. I run thru a couple of "Sun Salutations" before I ride, and then do a couple of "trees" to get me in touch with my balance. You might consider yoga while you are waiting for your wrist to heal. I have been doing Yoga for two years, and at 62, am in the best shape of my life, and I have been in great shape all my life, but Yoga made me better still, plus all the stretches can only be good for you. A lot of Yoga is based upon balance, I would suggest that it would be beneficial to all of us who aspire to uni-fly.  In short, Yoga may be the Wheel Deal! Seriously, give it a shot while you convalesce, it can only help. Plus it is good for the head.  Also, my orthopedist is big on glucosamine chondrotin complex for people over 50 with joint damage/issues, you might check into that during your rehab. Definitely at your age, you should work with a therapist during recovery.  Keep us posted, good luck with your recovery, good luck on the spousal attitude.

'One Planet, One Wheel'

Hi Starman - another 60+ planter here. (Normally just post on the Facebook page.)

My 'plant was back in January and cost me a right kneecap (smashed into 4) and a broken scaphoid bone in left wrist.

Unfortunately they screwed up the wrist op and the screw went right thru and onto another bone. 2nd op to follow soon,

Like your's - Mrs doesn't understand the desire to remount - especially as I'm unlikely to ever be able to run off a fall again :)

Get well soon yourself - I too was amazed at the empathy from this group!

Cheers!

John Flanigan, sorry to hear about your bad luck too. Hope you'll recover fast, and can still ride!

I've been riding with full-face helmet, and forearm/elbow- & shin/knee-pads all the time since first mount, but after reading about these wrist injuries, I'm ordering some wrist protectors RIGHT NOW, as I haven't got any yet. Finally made up my mind on the model too, going with double sided Flexmeter Wrist Guard Plus (I was also considering Triple-8 Roller Derby, as they were cheaper, but don't have such good protection as they're shorter, and some users have complained they're not comfortable). They're more expensive than I thought I'd use on wrist guards, but seem pretty good:

http://gearcheck.fi/en/wrist-guards/155-flexmeter-wrist-guard-double-sided.html

Archived