New sherman max pedal dip. Firmware?

WattsWheelhouse

I thought I was just a crazy noob, but my 4 day old sherman max definitely has very noticeable pedal dip. It's bad enough to have been a culprit in a few of my low speed falls when taking sweeping turns. I saw a thread about firmware updates sorting this out, so I downloaded the leaperkim OTA update app (original and English). Unfortunately neither will connect to my wheel. Darknessbot connects fine and says it's on .1.102, but as it's a max, I don't know how that relates to any of the OGs. 

Is anyone having pedal dip on a shermax? 

Has anyone been able to update their shermax firmware via the app? 

2 hours ago, Racer13X said:

I was able to get my max to connect to the app by disabling app battery optimization. But I'm getting a "Wrong model, can't update" message when I try to update. Any ideas? 

that's unexpected... does your retailer have ideas? You are, of course, using a 'modern' android, correct?

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

that's unexpected... does your retailer have ideas? You are, of course, using a 'modern' android, correct?

Yes, a galaxy fold 3. Very modern 😅. The retailer is going to make some calls up the chain and see if they can come up with anything. I hope they can, as it's definitely alarming to feel like I might fall off the front of this beast when I swing around corners. 

9 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Have you tried calibration?

Yes, and it didn't help. I've been getting used to it, but this is my first EUC, so I'm not sure how abnormal it is. It feels like they slowly dip forward when I turn in either direction, getting worse the longer I hold the turn. Would this thing fall on its face if I turned for long enough? 

My girlfriend just got a v5f to learn on, so I'm interested to see if it does anything similar. 

1 minute ago, Racer13X said:

Yes, and it didn't help. I've been getting used to it, but this is my first EUC, so I'm not sure how abnormal it is. It feels like they slowly dip forward when I turn in either direction, getting worse the longer I hold the turn. Would this thing fall on its face if I turned for long enough? 

My girlfriend just got a v5f to learn on, so I'm interested to see if it does anything similar. 

It's not normal at all and shouldn't be used for learning.

• Sad 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, Racer13X said:

I was able to get my max to connect to the app by disabling app battery optimization. But I'm getting a "Wrong model, can't update" message when I try to update. Any ideas? 

Prolly dumb question(if so, sorry), but have you tried hard mode? Im sure i dont know what pedal dip is, but on med and soft pedals have dip like movement except hard where pedals stay leveled nomattwr what you do.

2 hours ago, quickbot said:

Prolly dumb question(if so, sorry), but have you tried hard mode? Im sure i dont know what pedal dip is, but on med and soft pedals have dip like movement except hard where pedals stay leveled nomattwr what you do.

Yes, it does it in all the modes. I typically ride in hard mode. 

I have this same issue. If I turn to another road with decent speed the pedals dips a lot.. If I keep accelerating the pedals stay dipped until I stop accelerating. Same happens also on lover curves on higher speeds. Feel almost like V8F.. ok not so much but you get the idea.

I have ridden a bit over 300km (got the wheel a week a go), haven't calibrate it which I will try today. I ride only hard mode.

E: Calibrated the wheel, didn't help.

Edited by Kutvelo

I assume this is because of bad inertia implementation on the firmware. The firmware mostly maintains its angle by integrating gyros and correcting the drifted angle (or gyro dift) values by using accelometer. However accelometers cannot be always used (because of shake for example). So in some cases I would guess the angle calculation goes bollocks (and causes dip) and fixes when you don't accelerate (=acceleration from the sensor can be used to fix the gyro drift).

So if you have bad inertia calculation implementation and very picky acceleration correction (bad implementation) then the pedals will probably dip in manouvers.

So yes probably something has changed in firmware..