Stolen-Sherman Max from Tulsa, OK.

Treatz

There probably won't be too many charger less shermans being sold. If anyone sees that, please let me know.  

Stolen from right in front of a Trader Joe's, chained to the bike rack. A woman and her young daughters saw the guys who did it and I walked out just after they left the parking lot.

It had nylonove pedals and their kinetic jump pads in multiple colors.  

The cops were no help, to no surprise. This is the second time. 2 years ago, my nikola was stolen from in front of a little caesars. I lock my up religiously since then, thinking that would be a deterrent. It's not.  

Any tips would be appreciated if you see it on the FB pages or something. Thx. 

• Sad 5

20 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

May I ask what prompts you to leave yours unguarded ?

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss why I deserved this to happen within an hour of my EUC getting stolen. PM if it's something you really want to talk through.

In the meantime, if someone approaches you in E. Hampshire UK trying to sell a chargerless Sherman Max, please be a good sport and send them my way. Cheers!

Edited by Treatz
spelling correction.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

May I ask what prompts you to leave yours unguarded ?

There have been several businesses that have not allowed my wheels inside. In my case I take my business elsewhere, but it is not abnormal for a business to request that your vehicle is left outside. I am not sure that there is much more that one can do besides locking it up. I guess that maybe the blessing is that you did not run into these guys. It seems like they wanted your wheel by any means necessary if they broke the lock in front of other folks. 

Edited by gon2fast

2 minutes ago, Treatz said:

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss why I deserved this to happen within an hour of my EUC getting stolen.

I'm really sorry - I certainly didn't mean to come across as being in any way critical - I am genuinely interested in what led you to leave it outside !

I have every sympathy with the loss of course, and although you may be right that this unlikely to come up for sale anywhere near me, I do browse the forums from all over the world, and will certainly keep an eye out for anything I happen to see that matches your description...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Very sorry that happened (again). Can add a picture so we all know what it looks like?

Hey hey...thanks!  I thought I had photos of it, but can't find any. I'll post if I can find any. 

1 minute ago, gon2fast said:

There have been several businesses that have not allowed my wheels inside.

Ah OK - I wasn't expecting that to be the case - in the UK I have yet to find any shop that won't let me in with mine.

Just now, Cerbera said:

I am genuinely interested in what led you to leave it outside !

It's a trader joe's...pretty reputable establishment if you have any near you. It's locked up to a bike rack right in front of the store. I live in, what I thought was, a safe area. It was 8:50 p.m. and they closed at 9 so it was a super quick run in and out. It's a pretty small store, not the kind you can wheel it around in. Maybe I could have left it in front of store if I talked with an employee about it. But yeah, if I had it with me then this never would have happened. Of course, at the end of the day, I guess we all have to be accountable for our own stuff. Can't argue that. 

33 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I guess that maybe the blessing is that you did not run into these guys. It seems like they wanted your wheel by any means necessary if they broke the lock in front of other folks

The mom said her daughters got very bad vibes from these guys. They drove a van with no back or side windows and it was a full parking lot with lots of people around. Pretty brazen.

I'm not really optimistic about recovering it, but I do hope others can benefit at least. If you can bring your wheel inside with you, then that really is the best thing to do. It's obviously not adequate to lock it up, not even for a short time. 

Edited by Treatz
typo

It's a shame you've lost 2 wheels testing that theory, but yes, it does raise a very valid point about the vulnerability and attractiveness of these high-value machines to opportunistic passing thieves. I sometimes worry I'll be pushed off mine and have it stolen directly from me, and I would be too paranoid / worried to leave it outside anywhere public. But I guess if you have no choice but to leave it outside, then the only things you can reasonably do might be to disguise it with some sort of dull brown cover, so it isn't so visible from the road, fit it with one of those vibration sensing alarms that kicks out 125 db if disturbed, and try and chain it up in a such a way that you extend the amount of time people have to spend trying to get past your locks. I appreciate these things take up a lot of backpack space, so not ideal.

I don't suppose that store has video footage of the car park do they ? I mean it's piss poor that you have to do the police's job for them, but don't most places have surveillance of the sort of resolution where they can get license plates ?!

Edited by Cerbera

That might be worth getting. I think that could have 

5 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It's no help, but I hang one of these on my bike lock... very annoying if anyone breathes on your lock (can be a bit hair trigger though!) https://smile.amazon.com/Anti-Theft-Vibration-Motorcycle-Security-Waterproof/dp/B08F1T1R9L?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I think it would have helped in this situation. Good tip for future and for anyone else who sees this. 

What type of bike lock did you use?

I have that Krytonite lock used by LockPickingLawyer, but it is a bit of a hassle to use as the ends just barely fits through the rollcage.

I’m in Canada so it’s unlikely of no use in helping locate your Sherman. We have had several reports of stolen Shermans too. One got stolen while the owner was going for a beach swim. He left it leaning unlocked. Thief stole it and all his clothes too.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

What type of bike lock did you use?

I have that Krytonite lock used by LockPickingLawyer, but it is a bit of a hassle to use as the ends just barely fits through the rollcage.

I’m in Canada so it’s unlikely of no use in helping locate your Sherman. We have had several reports of stolen Shermans too. One got stolen while the owner was going for a beach swim. He left it leaning unlocked. Thief stole it and all his clothes too.

Guess he got pretty much cleaned out… 

Sorry to read this. But should really get a proper lock. The one seen in the picture is called gift ribbon for thieves. However, this can only delay a theft and not prevent it.

Edited by Mossi

7 hours ago, Treatz said:

Which do you use?

I use an Abus Bordo Granit XPlus 6500 but it is heavy, short length and despite beeing one of the safest locks money can buy I got my MTB stolen in the 20 minutes i visited the doctor. So typically when I ride my EUC I don't even take it with me so that I'm not tempted to leave it somewhere unattended.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mossi said:

I use an Abus Bordo Granit XPlus 6500 but it is heavy, short length and despite beeing one of the safest locks money can buy I got my MTB stolen in the 20 minutes i visited the doctor. So typically when I ride my EUC I don't even take it with me so that I'm not tempted to leave it somewhere unattended.

Gosh that is terrible, do you think the thief/thieves simply lifted the entire bike, or was it locked to a ground anchor/bike stand?

12 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

Gosh that is terrible, do you think the thief/thieves simply lifted the entire bike, or was it locked to a ground anchor/bike stand?

It was locked to a bike stand and I don't know how they did it. Because of the position of the stand it was locked to the rear wheel, unfotunately this was the only way possible. However even the wheel was missing, but the lock was untouched. Maybe they cut the wheel.

37 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Did TJs get a plate number off the truck?

Trader Joe's has many cameras in the store, but none that are outside the store. It was clear in talking to the managers that they've had customer experiences where they could have really helped people by having cameras outside. It's not just them, however.

ITJ's is in a strip plaza with several other, smaller stores: AT&T, Tropical Smoothie, Blaze Pizza included. The same thing holds true with them. The entire interiors of their stores are all covered with cameras, but none of them have cameras outside of their stores into the parking lots or even on the sidewalks right in front of their stores. None of them. 

something doesn't seem right about that.

• Sad 2

On 7/26/2022 at 10:00 PM, Mossi said:

This lock is angle-grinder resistant.

https://hiplok.com/product/hiplok-d1000-anti-angle-grinder-bike-lock-waitlist/