Begode RS 19 HT - doesn't charge

9 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

How you liking your wheel ? The thing is a šŸš€ I love my rs19 high speed so much I almost wanna get the high torque as my second wheel but I think imma get the exn high speed next unless they come out with something with even more range .

The RS-19 is my first 18"x3 wheel, so I can't say more than that it feels totally different to a 14", which was to be expected. And it has a much smoother motor than an ā€œold-timerā€ model such as the One S2.

33 minutes ago, ElectricNici said:

Didn't know that a 3rd party is doing stronger shells for the RS. :oĀ Can you post a link? And regarding molicel battery packs, do they have lesser range? My RS is V3. I couldn't have afforded to order from US due to additional costs.Ā Ā Since I always pay attention to the temperature display, at what temperature (Celsius) does it become critical?

When I ordered my wheel ewheels were in the process of swapping out inner shells to new ones the manufacturer had sent them that were supposedly stronger because they had a problem with screw receiver posts breaking off in the wheel .they told me it would be a month wait because of manpower to do the swaps , unless I wanted to do it myself and they would send me the inner shell set and take 100$ off my wheel .so I took the offer and got my rs for 2150$ ā€¦their wheels also come with the new spiked pedals ,power pads,mudguard and some wrist guards for free ā€¦.I went with the litech batteries .the rs hs with the molicel is 2499$ .There is safe guards in place if the wheel reaches 80c it will beep and tilt back .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElectricNici said:

The RS-19 is my first 18"x3 wheel, so I can't say more than that it feels totally different to a 14", which was to be expected. And it has a much smoother motor than an ā€œold-timerā€ model such as the One S2.

Just curious, what did you think when you try to make a turn for the very first time on the RS-19?Ā  Did you feel the gyro effects?Ā 

I like to point out that there isn't really much of an advantage to preemptively switch out your inner shell. Why not consider replacement only after the original one has been broken, since you are going to be replacing the whole inner shell anyway. There is nothing to salvage. And, it isĀ a lot of work, depending on background and perspective. Furthermore, you don't know that your RS19 doesn't have the stronger inner shell already.

Ā 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

When I ordered my wheel ewheels were in the process of swapping out inner shells to new ones the manufacturer had sent them that were supposedly stronger because they had a problem with screw receiver posts breaking off in the wheel .they told me it would be a month wait because of manpower to do the swaps , unless I wanted to do it myself and they would send me the inner shell set and take 100$ off my wheel .so I took the offer and got my rs for 2150$ ā€¦their wheels also come with the new spiked pedals ,power pads,mudguard and some wrist guards for free ā€¦.I went with the litech batteries .the rs hs with the molicel is 2499$ .There is safe guards in place if the wheel reaches 80c it will beep and tilt back .

Usually, the package from eucsale shop includes the honeycomb pedals as well, but they have been out of stock, thus I got an off-road tire with tube for compensation. Mudguard & small power pads are included by Begode.Ā 

48 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, what did you think when you try to make a turn for the very first time on the RS-19?Ā  Did you feel the gyro effects?Ā 

I like to point out that there isn't really much of an advantage to preemptively switch out your inner shell. Why not consider replacement only after the original one has been broken, since you are going to be replacing the whole inner shell anyway. There is nothing to salvage. And, it isĀ a lot of work, depending on background and perspective. Furthermore, you don't know whether have the stronger inner shell already.

Ā 

I was just curious. Perhaps the V3 comes already with sturdier shells. Can also get them in Europe, for each side around 72ā‚¬.Ā Right now, i'm thinking to cover around the front & backlights with bumper foam. Otherwise,... the leather power pads may provide additional protection. I wanted to have better power pads anyway. Excuse me but what is a gyro-effect? :)

Edited by ElectricNici
  • Like 1

Excuse me but what is a gyro-effect?

It's either that nicely full and satisfied feeling that comes after eating a good gyro or the tendency for a wheel to require more effort to turn when you're going fast. When a wheel turns easily at low speed but has to be muscled into a turn at high speed, folks call that the gyroscopic effect.

Ā 

• Like 1

GruƟ Gott!
A fibreglass Mono shell is available for the RS from Alexa_EUC market in Moscow, via instagram, which offers great and stylish protection (many colours available), Ā but if sanctions prevent that from reaching you in Austria, then Roll.nz (New Zealand) offer a very good neoprene cover, and fast DHL delivery, neither are cheap. I have both, but havenā€™t gotten round to fitting the fibreglass shell, which I was afraid to do before I was more confident as a rider, which I am now. Ā  Ā  I even put added baby bumper and tape on my neoprene cover, to protect the bump cover from bumps! I bought the cover before I started learning, and Iā€™m pretty sure my MSP (predecessor to RS) is still unmarked underneath it.

10AF9591-A413-48D2-8D0C-62D05C18A450.jpeg

523A6E8A-2889-4BEB-BA24-BBDBCFBD478C.jpeg
note extra magnet placed on the neoprene cover, to strengthen the magnetic field between pedals and case.

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

It's either that nicely full and satisfied feeling that comes after eating a good gyro or the tendency for a wheel to require more effort to turn when you're going fast. When a wheel turns easily at low speed but has to be muscled into a turn at high speed, folks call that the gyroscopic effect.

Ā 

Oh, good to know, learnt something new. :)Ā Look guys, I can't describe it accurately yet because my ā€œmaximum set speedā€ is 21km/h | 13mph on soft riding mode. I'm still fresh with Electric Unicycles & not a top-notch rider. In one or two years from now on, ā€¦ this could be different.Ā 

Edited by ElectricNici
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

No need to crash and burn before you can toddle along - take it easy, itā€™s not a race! The confidence comes before the speed should šŸ‘šŸ»

You understand my feelings, I'm a bit of a perfectionist & don't want my wheel to look beat up like hell. The downside is that this attitude delays my learning curve. Now, regarding the two suggestions: The first from Russia is a first class option. No doubt about this! :) The 2nd choice isn't bad neither but I'm worried about the heat development & secondly, ā€¦ I guess power pads aren't possible on a neoprene cover, right?

I purchased the most recent production model from eWheels on a pre order and got one of the first ones off the ship.Ā  These had the re-informed shell, no display as I was told Begode decided to remove them from the latest run, the CST-186 knobby tire, and the Molicel P41A batteries.Ā 

With the Molicel packs you do have a reduced range, but greater performance capabilities due to the increased current capabilities and low voltage drop or sag on acceleration. I would say the performance is more inline with the EXN without the range.

I had a pretty bad crash on an off road coarse this weekend going about 30mph, ~50kph. The wheel went bouncing off roots and hit a tree pretty hard. one of the jump pads went flying up in the airĀ  and I took a few hard hits and twisted my right leg pretty bad. I sat for a few minutes to gather my senses and tried to get me leg set the best I could.

I was just thinking my wheel was broke, I have seen less harsh crashes that broke the shell and even pedals.Ā  The wheel had a small section about 1/2" squareĀ  that was scratched and the right pedal had some marks on it.Ā  Nothing bad at all.Ā  I was very impressed with how the shell held up.. I could tell my CP front and rear bumpers took some of the impact along with my right front jump pad.

So, I do not regret getting the RS HS, especially with the Molicel packs. Oh, I love the super grippy spiked pedals; keeps your feet glued to the wheel.

I have a video I got from eWheels showing the new production run of the RS's with the reinforced shell, but it is took large to post here. 39MB

Ā 

Edited by Magman116
spelling correction
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, techyiam said:

I like to point out that there isn't really much of an advantage to preemptively switch out your inner shell. Why not consider replacement only after the original one has been broken, since you are going to be replacing the whole inner shell anyway. There is nothing to salvage. And, it isĀ a lot of work, depending on background and perspective. Furthermore, you don't know that your RS19 doesn't have the stronger inner shell already.

Ā 

I waited 1200 miles to switch it out and when I took it apart there were like 5 broken posts in the wheel by that point .I figured since it was my first wheel it was gunna get scratched and beat up so I waited to swap it out and rode it as it came to me .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

I waited 1200 miles to switch it out and when I took it apart there were like 5 broken posts in the wheel by that point .I figured since it was my first wheel it was gunna get scratched and beat up so I waited to swap it out and rode it as it came to me .

Did you buy it used?

How did you decide as to when to switch out the inner shell?Ā Was it more than just mileage?

Were there any cracks in the shell where it is bolted to the hangers?

And at the time when you decided to swap out the shell, were there any symptoms that you could tell when you rode it?

Also, did you ride offroad, or do drops, jumps, stairs or curbs, and etc?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ElectricNici said:

I was just curious. Perhaps the V3 comes already with sturdier shells. Can also get them in Europe, for each side around 72ā‚¬.Ā Right now, i'm thinking to cover around the front & backlights with bumper foam. Otherwise,... the leather power pads may provide additional protection. I wanted to have better power pads anyway. Excuse me but what is a gyro-effect? :)

Bumper foam sounds like a good idea.

I believe also one of the more vulnerable parts of the inner shell is where it is bolted to the hangers on each side. For those owners who do drops, jumps, stairs or curbs, their wheels would be more susceptible to cracking.

Wow, leather power pads, nice. That should be durable against abrasion.

Ā 

As to gyro effects:

I learned on a Begode T3. A 16" wheel with a light, narrow tire. From a learner's POV, it turns like a 14". With these learners wheels, if you want want to turn left, you just need use the inner side of your leg to push the wheel to the left, and thus tilting the wheel to the left.

However, if you use the same technique to turn a wheel with gyro effects, you will find great difficulty in turning this way. You will find that you would need to use much more brute force to get the wheel to tilt. I was just wondering whether you encountered this, when you first rode your RS-19.Ā 

If you don't mind sharing, to make a turn, how did you do it on your last wheel, and now on the RS-19?Ā 

• Like 1

You understand my feelings, I'm a bit of a perfectionist & don't want my wheel to look beat up like hell. The downside is that this attitude delays my learning curve. Now, regarding the two suggestions: The first from Russia is a first class option. No doubt about this! :) The 2nd choice isn't bad neither but I'm worried about the heat development & secondly, ā€¦ I guess power pads aren't possible on a neoprene cover, right?

I think if you are learning (Iā€™m only a year ahead of you, and though more relaxed these days, like yourself Iā€™m a toddler not a racer, and am very keen not to destroy the toy which brings the joy!) then I think your approach is similar to my own - a year ago, accordingly I took every possible measure when learning not to crash on hard surfaces, I first learned on a soft grass lawn before committing to asphalt, etc. I think that you would get away with adding Velcro on the neoprene cover, if you were concerned you would be able to have Velcro panels stitched through and onto the neoprene, and thereby I think the movement of power pads (grizzla pads are great, by the way), given your likely conservative riding style would not be troublesome, but of course this would be much more rigidly fixed on the Russian mono shell, for which I also have the leather pads. When I first put baby bump pad on my neoprene cover, I put so much on that the front end gave me some ā€˜power pushā€™ possibilities, but I havenā€™t done anything about rear side brake pads, as it is still very seldom I am riding faster than 40km/h and only on visibly straight and long roads with plenty of slow-down room before the next bend. Ā  Ā 
Ā 

Being older (59), and not so desperately ā€˜needing speedā€™ (the joy of toddling along enjoying the scenery, much as you would on en e-bike is enough for myself, and I ride alone, there being no other riders here around that I know of) plus a definite knowledge of both the cost of the toy and Ā itā€™s likely replacement cost, should a rush of blood to the head overcome oneā€™s reason, Ā keeps me well enough grounded, and as much as I enjoy watching the antics of some of the dare-devils on the internet, I know they are treading a fine line, and when (not if) something goes wrong, well, it tends to get a bit costly and painful!

In a couple of months of steady, safety-conscious riding through the beautiful Tyrol, you will gain much more confidence, which will settle any misgivings you may have. Bear in mind also, your wheel has a pretty good reputation for not being prone to the dreaded cutouts which other, Ā more recent and much-hyped wheels have been plagued by.

Enjoy, from a Scottish annual KitzbĆ¼hel skier!

Ā 

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magman116 said:

I purchased the most recent production model from eWheels on a pre order and got one of the first ones off the ship.Ā  These had the re-informed shell, no display as I was told Begode decided to remove them from the latest run, the CST-186 knobby tire, and the Molicel P41A batteries.Ā 

With the Molicel packs you do have a reduced range, but greater performance capabilities due to the increased current capabilities and low voltage drop or sag on acceleration. I would say the performance is more inline with the EXN without the range.

I had a pretty bad crash on an off road coarse this weekend going about 30mph, ~50kph. The wheel went bouncing off roots and hit a tree pretty hard. one of the jump pads went flying up in the airĀ  and I took a few hard hits and twisted my right leg pretty bad. I sat for a few minutes to gather my senses and tried to get me leg set the best I could.

I was just thinking my wheel was broke, I have seen less harsh crashes that broke the shell and even pedals.Ā  The wheel had a small section about 1/2" squareĀ  that was scratched and the right pedal had some marks on it.Ā  Nothing bad at all.Ā  I was very impressed with how the shell held up.. I could tell my CP front and rear bumpers took some of the impact along with my right front jump pad.

So, I do not regret getting the RS HS, especially with the Molicel packs. Oh, I love the super grippy spiked pedals; keeps your feet glued to the wheel.

I have a video I got from eWheels showing the new production run of the RS's with the reinforced shell, but it is took large to post here. 39MB

Ā 

Can you upload the video on a webspace/cloud & then share us a link? I use the EUC world app, but having a display helps to keep my autistic head more at ease. I need to see the temperature, speed & battery levels all the time. I got used to this with my E-scooter.Ā :)

In the course of the accident described, you seem to have ā€œstillā€ gotten off lightly. Wow, must be an intense experience. :oĀ The bumpers from CP seem to hold up promise, but unfortunately there is no eucshop in Europe selling them. So I'm thinking about an 3D printed alternative from Bulgaria:Ā https://www.smartwheels.store/product/bumpers-for-msx-msp-rs

Scratched pedals are ignorable, as long as they hold & feel stable. I have plans to upgrade to the honeycomb ones anyway. As I mentioned in a previous reply, ā€¦ the leather power pads are big enough to cover a huge part on the sides. So my main concern are the areas around the front & rear light & display. What kind of material are these clarkpads? I wish you a quick recovery!Ā 

Edited by ElectricNici

I rapped my wheel in white shower-mat for the first 3 days that i rode. (Simply duct taped it around the wheel, it looked like big white bag.):DĀ Yes it looked very @Funky, but it did the job protecting the wheel from scratches/drops.

Later i bought 2 sided tape and new black yoga-mat. I took my time cutting out forms and gluing it to the wheel. (Only time i need to remove them, are when i go inside wheel.) My dad did the same with more robust foot/door-mat. That ruber/hair mesh one. It looks like fuzzy wheel now. :DĀ But wheel is protected like tank. (He did such a greatĀ job gluing it together, that you can't tell it's not the original look.):D

Since i glued that yoga-mat i have never droppedĀ the wheel also.. :DĀ 

Best 20-40$ ever spent for protecting your wheel.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Bumper foam sounds like a good idea.

I believe also one of the more vulnerable parts of the inner shell is where it is bolted to the hangers on each side. For those owners who do drops, jumps, stairs or curbs, their wheels would be more susceptible to cracking.

Wow, leather power pads, nice. That should be durable against abrasion.

Ā 

As to gyro effects:

I learned on a Begode T3. A 16" wheel with a light, narrow tire. From a learner's POV, it turns like a 14". With these learners wheels, if you want want to turn left, you just need use the inner side of your leg to push the wheel to the left, and thus tilting the wheel to the left.

However, if you use the same technique to turn a wheel with gyro effects, you will find great difficulty in turning this way. You will find that you would need to use much more brute force to get the wheel to tilt. I was just wondering whether you encountered this, when you first rode your RS-19.Ā 

If you don't mind sharing, to make a turn, how did you do it on your last wheel, and now on the RS-19?Ā 

On the Ninebot One S2,ā€¦ turning feels easier of course because the tire is narrower & the EUC body much lighter of course. I was already prepared that it's harder to turn with the RS but on the other hand it feels more stable, so it's really not easy to tell someone what the best entry/training wheel should be. Totally depends on individual needs. And this continues with the follow-up wheels.Ā On the Ninebot, I think I do with the legs & hips. Let's see how it will unfold on the RS. :)Ā 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Funky said:

I rapped my wheel in white shower-mat for the first 3 days that i rode. (Simply duct taped it around the wheel, it looked like big white bag.):DĀ Yes it looked very @Funky, but it did the job protecting the wheel from scratches/drops.

Later i bought 2 sided tape and new black yoga-mat. I took my time cutting out forms and gluing it to the wheel. (Only time i need to remove them, are when i go inside wheel.) My dad did the same with more robust foot/door-mat. That ruber/hair mesh one. It looks like fuzzy wheel now. :DĀ But wheel is protected like tank. (He did such a greatĀ job gluing it together, that you can't tell it's not the original look.):D

Best 20-40$ ever spent for protecting your wheel.

Now you make me very curious, so take a photo. ;)

• Upvote 2

On the Ninebot One S2,ā€¦ turning feels easier of course because the tire is narrower & the EUC body much lighter of course. I was already prepared that it's harder to turn with the RS but on the other hand it feels more stable, so it's really not easy to tell someone what the best entry/training wheel should be. Totally depends on individual needs. And this continues with the follow-up wheels.Ā On the Ninebot, I think I do with the legs & hips. Let's see how it will unfold on the RS. :)Ā 

And here lies the subtle point you may want to understand.

If the resistance to turning was just due to weight and bulk, then there it would be straight forward and no need to be concerned.Ā 

But gyro effects is more than that. Gyro effects increases with speed. What that means is that you need to learn a technique that allow you generate a large enough roll-torque to tilt the wheel as speeds increases. Otherwise, you would go wide.

Edited by techyiam

Now you make me very curious, so take a photo. ;)

Mine is more "ugly" as the yoga-mat wasn't completely "black". Also i didn't glue all around. My dads fuzzy wheel looks better. Doh i don't have photos of his. (idea the same - all front/back and those ks16s side pillows with fuzzy door-mat.)

Ps. Check that drive on stand.Ā :innocent1::DĀ You need to make something like that for RS, so you don't need to lift it. (It drives up and down in grove, betweenĀ the two stands that hold "L" hangers.)

IMG-20220714-132310.jpgIMG-20220714-132304.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Funky said:

Mine is more "ugly" as the yoga-mat wasn't completely "black". Also i didn't glue all around. My dads fuzzy wheel looks better. Doh i don't have photos of his. (idea the same - all front/back and those ks16s side pillows with fuzzy door-mat.)

Ps. Check that drive on stand.Ā :innocent1::DĀ You need to make something like that for RS, so you don't need to lift it. (It drives up and down in grove, betweenĀ the two stands that hold "L" hangers.)

IMG-20220714-132310.jpgIMG-20220714-132304.jpg

I feel that the color combi of grey-black doesn't look bad at all but yes, if the wheel is black then you want it to stay black of course. Regarding the parking stand, ā€¦ I don't have one for the RS yet. I have to lift for two floors, as my flat doesn't have an elevator. Keep me fresh & young.Ā :lol:Ā There are plenty of solutions for parking stands,Ā I mean, I could also fetch/use a guitar stand for the time being. There are more important stuff to get first.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ElectricNici said:

I don't have one for the RS yet. I have to lift for two floors, as my flat doesn't have an elevator.

No way, two flights of stairs. You are a euc diehard. Also, you are going to be fit alright. RS-19 does indeed makes sense for you. It's 60 lbs, and it's a 19" wheel. You won't do better for a performance wheel if weight is the determining factor.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

I also live in 3rd floor and i don't want anything more heavy than 66lbs. :DĀ EverydayĀ 2-4 times carrying the thing. Doh for my it isn't a problem and i couldĀ probablyĀ carry 80lbs with one hand, without any problems. It's sad that most performance wheel also includes "big" batteries. Which i personally don't need. I need maybe max 25km a day. I would have been happy with 40km range wheel. Doh all the "bigger" wheels offer more range. :DĀ Which means also more weight..

Even my 18xl is to "big"(battery wise) as i charge it once a week. :DĀ 

• Like 2