Begode RS 19 HT - doesn't charge

17 minutes ago, ElectricNici said:

I think it is conceivable that some female riders create a profile with neutral nicknames or male avatars, so that a neutral conversational atmosphere is maintained, especially if hobby acquaintances are initially desired & this could possibly result in friendships for life. Don't worry, I'm not angry. It was just too funny to let it skip. :)

That makes sense. I have experienced being on another male dominated forum, in this case, a motorcycle forum, where a female member has just joined. You are quite right that the conversation atmosphere can turn unneutral. It is good to hear that you are not offended. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:06 PM, Tawpie said:

Even better to hear that Denis is taking care of you and you'll have a working wheel soon!

Yes, he is a patient fellow. Firstly, we are trying to see if a second charger can help to initiate charging. If it works, then I don't have to get a replacement. And then it would be much easier to deactivate the transport mode. I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ElectricNici said:

Yes, he is a patient fellow. Firstly, we are trying to see if a second charger can help to initiate charging. If it works, then I don't have to get a replacement. And then it would be much easier to deactivate the transport mode. I will keep you posted.

The other thing you can do is to use your charger to charge another wheel that is compatible electrically.  You have a 100 V wheel. Of course this works only if you have access to another wheel. 

Basically, he is having you help troubleshoot, which is not unreasonable at this stage.

If you are comfortable using a voltmeter / multimeter, you can measure the combined voltages of your two battery packs via the charging ports.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 11:50 PM, techyiam said:

The other thing you can do is to use your charger to charge another wheel that is compatible electrically.  You have a 100 V wheel. Of course this works only if you have access to another wheel. 

Basically, he is having you help troubleshoot, which is not unreasonable at this stage.

If you are comfortable using a voltmeter / multimeter, you can measure the combined voltages of your two battery packs via the charging ports.

I don't have a volt-meter right now. The One S2 has 4 instead 5 pins, so not possible to test-check the charger right at this moment. Idon't mind the troubleshoot. I still do have warranty, just in case it has to be returned & replaced.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ElectricNici said:

I don't have a volt-meter right now. The One S2 has 4 instead 5 pins, so not possible to test-check the charger right at this moment. Idon't mind the troubleshoot. I still do have warranty, just in case it has to be returned & replaced.

Even if the connectors are compatible physically, you still can't plug the connector in. You have to know for certain that they are electrically compatible too. It does sound like you do not have access to another 100V Gotway, or Begode wheel. Which is fine.

I understand. But, using the voltmeter on the charging port does not involve opening up the wheel in any way.

However, you shouldn't probe the charging port pins unless you have the background, and is totally comfortable probing the pins without shorting.

No worries. I hope the new charger will arrive soon

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 3:39 PM, techyiam said:

Even if the connectors are compatible physically, you still can't plug the connector in. You have to know for certain that they are electrically compatible too. It does sound like you do not have access to another 100V Gotway, or Begode wheel. Which is fine.

I understand. But, using the voltmeter on the charging port does not involve opening up the wheel in any way.

However, you shouldn't probe the charging port pins unless you have the background, and is totally comfortable probing the pins without shorting.

No worries. I hope the new charger will arrive soon

Finally, the second charger has arrived today & so far i can tell, it looks promising. Denis has sent me the charger for free. :) 

Charging.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ElectricNici said:

Finally, the second charger has arrived today & so far i can tell, it looks promising. Denis has sent me the charger for free.

That's fantastic. 

BTW, am I seeing two chargers connected to your RS-19? 

After the red light turns to green on the charger, leave it connected for a few more hours. Unplug the charger. Then check the display on the wheel if it has double green bars at the top for battery status. Your battery was quite depleted. It may take some work to get the cells better balanced. 

After charging, let see if you can take your wheel out of transport mode.

When you have time, you should figure out how to install and use the Begode app to connect to your wheel. There are settings you may want to customize to your preference. Also, the app tells you whether your wheel is 100% charged.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

That's fantastic. 

BTW, am I seeing two chargers connected to your RS-19? 

After the red light turns to green on the charger, leave it connected for a few more hours. Unplug the charger. Then check the display on the wheel if it has double green bars at the top for battery status. Your battery was quite depleted. It may take some work to get the cells better balanced. 

After charging, let see if you can take your wheel out of transport mode.

When you have time, you should figure out how to install and use the Begode app to connect to your wheel. There are settings you may want to customize to your preference. Also, the app tells you whether your wheel is 100% charged.

Enjoy.

I do already have both apps installed on my Android.

For a brief moment, I checked the battery status.

I will keep it plugged in until I see green.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

IMG_20220727_185410.jpg

• Like 1

I always leave my ks18xl sitting 1-2 hours after charger have turned green. (As the wheel is still "balancing" the cells. When it has done "balancing" it beeps 6 times. After those beeps i stop charging.) When my charger turns green, the wheel is still pulling ~50Watts from wall. After those 6 beeps it's pulling 2.5Watts from wall.

It's always good to leave the charger connected for longer time 1-2hrs after it turns green. Balanced cells - are happy cells. :D 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ElectricNici said:

I do already have both apps installed on my Android.

For a brief moment, I checked the battery status.

I will keep it plugged in until I see green.

That's really good news.

I wasn't sure whether your battery packs would recover. So far so good. If you can, let the charger plugged in for another 3 hours or so, after the red light has turned green on the charger. But if you can't, no biggie, just do it in the future whenever you can.

There may be a fair possibility that the cells in the battery packs are really out of balance. Because of the way the charger works, you may need to recharge your fully charged wheel again after four or five hours, or longer. After you plug the the charger in, wait and see if the light on the charger turn red and stay red. If it stays red, some cells are more out of balance than normal. After the charger light turns from red to green, wait about 3 hours,  and disconnect the charger. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ElectricNici said:

I reached 100.8V & i will try to continue the advised philosophy as often as possible,  for the battery's life sake.

So far so good, thank you guys for supporting me with useful information & jokes. :)

Since you haven't brought it up anymore, can we assume that your RS-19 is no longer in transport mode?

Now that you have a working 100V Begode wheel, assuming you still have the original charger, if you don't mind, could you test it by charging your wheel the next time it needs charging.

22 hours ago, techyiam said:

Since you haven't brought it up anymore, can we assume that your RS-19 is no longer in transport mode?

Now that you have a working 100V Begode wheel, assuming you still have the original charger, if you don't mind, could you test it by charging your wheel the next time it needs charging.

As visual evidence. :) http://nicola-hajdu.at/shareto/euccom/proof.MP4

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

How you liking your wheel ? The thing is a 🚀 I love my rs19 high speed so much I almost wanna get the high torque as my second wheel but I think imma get the exn high speed next unless they come out with something with even more range .

I also wanted to get RS as my first wheel. (It's literally the lightest 18x3" non suspension wheel.) But sadly the inside of the wheel is such a "mess" and water problems also.. Not worth the money. (In my mind.) :D 

Also all those gotway fires din't notch my to their way.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I also wanted to get RS as my first wheel. (It's literally the lightest 18x3" non suspension wheel.) But sadly the inside of the wheel is such a "mess" and water problems also.. Not worth the money. (In my mind.) :D 

Also all those gotway fires din't notch my to their way.

We have www.ewheels.com and their wheels come with upgraded batteries litech and molicel so not much risk on fires using them ….I don’t ride in the rain  but in the past couple months I’ve rode 2700km and the thing is an awesome wheel 🤘there is nothing to the inside of the rs19 .it’s a very simple wheel to work on and take apart .I’ve swapped my entire shells to the better reinforced ones so I know the wheel inside and out now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

We have www.ewheels.com and their wheels come with upgraded batteries litech and molicel so not much risk on fires using them ….I don’t ride in the rain  but in the past couple months I’ve rode 2700km and the thing is an awesome wheel 🤘there is nothing to the inside of the rs19 .it’s a very simple wheel to work on and take apart .I’ve swapped my entire shells to the better reinforced ones so I know the wheel inside and out now 

By "mess" i mean the connection come right out of the board. Not like kingsong that got "inline" connections. Meaning you don't ever need to come even close to motherboard. Even worse if you got silicone on those connection. As you need to "scratch" of the silicone from board on gotway wheels.

Also that heatsink on the side of wheel lets water inside. Meaning motherboard can easily get wet, because it sits right bottom of the case.

Yeah if you don't ride in rain, i bet it's "awesome" wheel. But i would never buy it, as i know i will be riding in rain some days.. And in winter all that "packed down" snow that gets stuck in wheel well. Just imagine it melting and going inside true heatsink... (Sure i could open whole wheel and silicone everything. - But nah..) They lost me after i saw those wires directly connect to motherboard. Does your wheel have that black plastic box covering motherboard? Or is one of that older wheels without the box?

Also no fuses - if i'm not mistaking? (At least some didn't have them..) Just check "Wrong Way!" teardown video - so horrid. 

Edited by Funky

9 hours ago, Funky said:

But sadly the inside of the wheel is such a "mess" and water problems also.. Not worth the money. (In my mind.) 

I came very close to buying an RS-19 or EX.N. And even after some months having bought the V12, I was still thinking maybe I should have bought one of them over the V12, or just buy one of them as an additional wheel. With more months gone by, I had more opportunities to work on both my T3 and my V12, in fact quite a bit. Also, with more mileage on both wheels, I have gotten more accustomed to them. Now on hindsight, I would buy the T3 again only as a learners wheel. For the price, you do get good specs. However, I prefer the built quality of the V12 so much more. And basing on watching disassembly videos of both RS-19 and EX.N, these wheels seem to share the T3's DNA. Having said that, when I was on the RS-19, it did have an unmistakable feel of a Gotway wheel, but felt more premium than the T3. I like the perceived feel of the RS-19. But now with how well the V12 is working, and how much better it is built, I am glad I did not buy the RS-19 nor the EX.N.

I would definitely buy the V12 again, especially now that it basically no longer an early batch wheel. But since I have one already and would like to go faster and further, I am looking forward to the V13. I have come to learn that Inmotion quality advantage is real, my opinion anyway.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Didn't know that a 3rd party is doing stronger shells for the RS. :o Can you post a link? And regarding molicel battery packs, do they have lesser range? My RS is V3. I couldn't have afforded to order from US due to additional costs.  Since I always pay attention to the temperature display, at what temperature (Celsius) does it become critical?