Knee & Shin Guards - Will I learn to love them?

I bought the Leatt dual axis knee and shin guards a while ago.  Finally tried them out this morning, they were just lying in a drawer up to now. Problem is, they feel really in the way, difficult for me to feel the wheel, seems like that finer control is gone when wearing these. I only did about 5k ride, because honestly this felt really awful to me, even trying to do tight corners felt so unwieldly. Not a reflection on the product itself, almost didn't want to mention the brand, because I'm sure that is not the issue - they seem really well made. My question is, is it normal for them to feel like this at first? Has anyone else experienced this? Just wondering if I should persevere and force myself to ride in them, maybe it gets better and feels more natural, I don't know. I did look at other options, like the softer knee sleeves, which I kind of regret not going for instead now. No doubt these would offer better protection though - if I could actually enjoy using them, that is!

1 hour ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

My question is, is it normal for them to feel like this at first?

Yes its normal and as you get used to them you will be fine.  The more experience you get, and as your muscles learn/strengthen the easier everything becomes including wearing different shoes, armour, using different wheels and being able to switch between them. At the start I certainly found it sketchy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Yes its normal and as you get used to them you will be fine.  The more experience you get, and as your muscles learn/strengthen the easier everything becomes including wearing different shoes, armour, using different wheels and being able to switch between them. At the start I certainly found it sketchy.

Thanks! That is good to hear. I also want to look at fitting power pads, and I just couldn't imagine that in combination with these guards. I'll wait until I'm comfortable with these then, one thing at a rime!

Whilst the dual axis offer top notch protection and are very well made theres no way I could put up with having that sort of bulk around my legs. Not to mention the faff of getting them to stay in place, even worse if they are fitted over trousers. Not surprising when they are designed to be used in a largely seated position on a motorbike with lots of travel to take out the bumps.

Thats why I went for the Leatt 3DF 6.0 instead. Still get a firm shell, 3DF protection and absolutely stay in place. They fit under all my trousers and slip on in seconds. I cant recommend them enough for EUC use. But if you absolutely have to have the best protection then yeah the dual axis are king.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Thats why I went for the Leatt 3DF 6.0 instead. I cant recommend them enough for EUC use. 

Those are the exact knee sleeves I was considering! In the end I was swayed by the higher protection rating of the dual axis. Ah well... If I can't get used to them, I will buy the 3DF, also fairly highly rated for protection, and comfort is key for me.

• Like 1

Trust me, the moment you take a substantial tumble you're gonna absolutely grow to love them quite suddenly! hahah  I wore them for a while and yes, while they were bulky at first, you will grow accustom to them and it'll be second nature to wear them before every ride.  Your knees will thank you.  

Now I've moved on from them to the Leatt Knee & Shin 3.0 EXT as I found them more streamlined and much less bulky.  I would definitely recommend them as a Dual Axis alternative if you feel they are too bulky.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

New to EUC, but i have always had issues with knee/shin guards staying in place when riding MTB's and motorcycles. I have very large legs from years of sports so they tend to slide down.  Anyone have any suggestions on what to use in this case?

• Sleeves, tend to bunch up behind the knee/fold over.
  • knee/shun guards, tend to never stay put and slide down.

Always wondering is there was a knee brace type one that could be worn, as my knee brace I had from my acl/MCL/pcl (rugby) many  years back I recalled staying put.  Is there such a thing?  

• Like 1

Little devil voice: There's always option of not wearing any gear. Muhaha!!!

But i would do that only if you ride very slowly. You know, enjoying the running speed in the park. :D  Doh i still would wear wrist guards - only gear that i never leave behind.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:47 PM, Planemo said:

Thats why I went for the Leatt 3DF 6.0 instead.

How do you put them "over" your pants??? Isn't it awkward pulling them up/over pants? :huh: (My understanding they are like "socks" no straps, hooks.) If you put them under pants - you lose all the "sliding" ability no?

If i ever thought about "upgrading" my knee guards. I always had my eye on - Leatt dual axis. (Most big boys use them.) :D Doesn't mean they are great doh..

Can't say much about elbow protection. As i don't use any still. Doh i have eyed for a while: Leatt 3DF 6.0 Elbow Protection. (But idk how they would feel..) I had the "cheap" velcro strap one's. I didn't like them at all, i had a rash coming from them, all skin got "itchy". So at the end i don't use any at all.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Saboteur_ZA said:

I bought the Leatt dual axis knee and shin guards a while ago.  Finally tried them out this morning, they were just lying in a drawer up to now. Problem is, they feel really in the way, difficult for me to feel the wheel, seems like that finer control is gone when wearing these. I only did about 5k ride, because honestly this felt really awful to me, even trying to do tight corners felt so unwieldly. Not a reflection on the product itself, almost didn't want to mention the brand, because I'm sure that is not the issue - they seem really well made. My question is, is it normal for them to feel like this at first? Has anyone else experienced this? Just wondering if I should persevere and force myself to ride in them, maybe it gets better and feels more natural, I don't know. I did look at other options, like the softer knee sleeves, which I kind of regret not going for instead now. No doubt these would offer better protection though - if I could actually enjoy using them, that is!

You will not like them until a) you get used to wearing them, this only comes with time, or b) you fall and DO NOT smash your knee, rip your jeans, or have to baby some road rash for a week or two, or c) you go by a blackberry branch or other thing poking out into the trail and it whacks your shin guard, saving your jeans, your shin, and not dragging you sideways into the sticker bushes.

Gear is like other forms of 'protection'... it changes and perhaps diminishes the experience but if there's an accident your chances of a life changing outcome are lower.

Because of scenarios b and c, I -always- wear gear. All of it. YMMV!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I can confirm the Leatt dual axis jobbies don't move anywhere on the leg - no slippage at all, and exceptionally comfortable fit and totally up to the job, protection-wise.

Bought mine for the master but have been using them on the MS3 (where they are probably a bit overkill) while I await its arrival, just because they feel so secure and make worrying about pedals chopping up shins and hideous knee grazes a thing of the past...

7 hours ago, Aaen said:

Always wondering is there was a knee brace type one that could be worn, as my knee brace I had from my acl/MCL/pcl (rugby) many  years back I recalled staying put.  Is there such a thing?  

When I was looking at options, I did see knee braces, like the Leatt X-Frame. The reviewer claimed these stayed in place much better, offered better protection for torsional forces (and therefore the risk of ACL/MCL injuries you mentioned). I'm not vouching for these, never used them, main thing is these are really expensive compared to the Leatt dual axis. And as I continued looking, I found other highly rated knee braces (Asterisk brand), but that was even more crazy expensive (over CAD $1000)! Not sure anyone would consider that worthwhile and probably over the top for EUC vs Moto.

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

You will not like them until a) you get used to wearing them, this only comes with time

Yes, this makes sense, but I've been wondering if they are too big for me. I bought size large,but I find the bottom part comes down quite low to just above the foot. I did see reviews saying you should tuck them into riding boots, so maybe that is how they are meant to be. I will just have to experiment with placement I guess.

Thanks for the responses.  Just measuring up myself and it looks like my legs will be on the upper sizes of the leatt dual axis XXL. I'll try them out as they are only 140 bucks.  If they don't work I call up my Ortho and see what they have.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, Aaen said:

Thanks for the responses.  Just measuring up myself and it looks like my legs will be on the upper sizes of the leatt dual axis XXL. I'll try them out as they are only 140 bucks.  If they don't work I call up my Ortho and see what they have.  

Pads were delivered. They fit pretty well, Infact I may use them for other activities as well.

Now waiting on Helmet and a few other items.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 8:38 PM, Aaen said:

New to EUC, but i have always had issues with knee/shin guards staying in place when riding MTB's and motorcycles. I have very large legs from years of sports so they tend to slide down.  Anyone have any suggestions on what to use in this case?

• Sleeves, tend to bunch up behind the knee/fold over.
  • knee/shun guards, tend to never stay put and slide down.

I have Leatt dual axis xxl. I have pretty large legs calves part is a nice fit, but upper strap is too lose and needs to be modified. I just cross strap bottom two so the one on bottom goes in to upper slot and upper one at bottom. It gives that extra fit for me....had to modify largesy strap thats near the knee as it was a bit large even tho lower ones right my size. But crossing straps make them atay in place like a glue.

Edited by quickbot

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, Saboteur_ZA said:

My question is, is it normal for them to feel like this at first?

You will certainly grow into it! I nowadays sometimes forget to take the dual axis off after a long ride :) You probably remember the first time you started riding (a bicycle, EUC, whatever) with a helmet? Felt inconvenient, cumbersome, restrictive, didn't it? It's the same with all gear. 

I have fallen with the dual axis many-many times and they perfectly negate impact and protect from scratches and bruises. The fact that you adjust the straps a single time and then use the hooks for eternity is very convenient (compared to the 3.0 Ext, which I didn't buy for this reason in particular -- I don't like re-velcroing stuff all the time and guessing if I did the straps too tight this time). The sliding down can be a problem (typically when offroading) but is partially solved by cross-strapping or by drilling new holes for the hooks of the middle straps just below the lower pivot axis. (I haven't tried it, but Marty Backe and others are happy with it). When I wear the dual axis over pants (that is 80% of the time) after I put them on I hold them in place with one hand and pull the pant sleeve down by the cuff with the other hand so there is no excess pant fabric inside or above the guards. This way the guards are not only held by straps but also by the pants friction.

Edited by yoos
for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Aah... ok, all these endorsements have convinced me to give them a chance! I'll haul them out, dust them off, and hopefully soon they will become a good habit. Actually it wasn't even that I found them a hassle to put on, or that they were uncomfortable. I didn't like that they made everything feel a bit clumsy - mounting the wheel, they kind of felt in the way, also didn't feel as precise in controlling/feeling the wheel. But I'm more confident on the wheel now, so probably better able to adapt. I hope!

• Like 1

Sometimes the guards will slide down. A design flaw is that there isn’t always enough Velcro to tighten the straps sufficiently. You can cross the bottom two straps to get a better fit. The bottom strap attaches to the middle slot, and the middle strap connects to the bottom slot. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

Sometimes the guards will slide down. 

Ugh I used to hate that. Mitigated a lot of sliding by applying a few lines of silicone to the straps. Applied the stuff over a year ago and its still holding strong! 

20220831_091412.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ksmack said:

Sometimes the guards will slide down. A design flaw is that there isn’t always enough Velcro to tighten the straps sufficiently. You can cross the bottom two straps to get a better fit. The bottom strap attaches to the middle slot, and the middle strap connects to the bottom slot. 

You can also add velcro to the straps. The middle strap is the most important one. It keeps the guards up by the shape of calf. Crossed straps would ruin this. The other two straps should be much looser.

• Upvote 1

Another option is to use a seam ripper on the thread holding on the velcro pieces, cut the length as required (and burn fraying edges), and sew the velcro pieces back on to the adjusted length. I ended up doing this with my size Large Dual Axis guards after losing some weight a while back.

Sometimes I do things the hard way without meaning to though, just sewing new velcro as @Eucnersaid without removing would've been easier I think.

• Like 2