Inmotion V12 HS Firmware Update 1.6.19 Tips

techyiam

Curious where 1.6.19 is available....
I'm in the US, and have tried both android and iphone (official app, current on both devices), and it tells me I'm at the latest (1.5.4, V12 HS).
Perhaps a non-US update so far?  Or maybe related to the newer board (still patiently awaiting my replacement board, sigh).

1 hour ago, WillCO said:

Curious where 1.6.19 is available....
I'm in the US, and have tried both android and iphone (official app, current on both devices), and it tells me I'm at the latest (1.5.4, V12 HS).
Perhaps a non-US update so far?  Or maybe related to the newer board (still patiently awaiting my replacement board, sigh).

That is curious. @jimjam.nyc is from NYC. And he has firmware 1.6.19. My guess is that Inmotion decided to roll back the version to 1.5.4 for now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, techyiam said:

That is curious. @jimjam.nyc is from NYC. And he has firmware 1.6.19. My guess is that Inmotion decided to roll back the version to 1.5.4 for now.

@WillCO Mine came up when I logged in my App that day it was available. The only thing I can think is you are still using the old board.. Maybe the FW update is only for the newer control board. 

If it makes you feel any better, none of the ride characteristics seem changed to me. So not sure if you are really missing anything other than those extra battery warnings/notifications. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, jimjam.nyc said:

I actually find it easier to stop without the pads.

Do you have the Inmotion branded power/ brake pads designed specifically for the V12, like the ones pictured below? If not, which power pads did you get?

V12-PowerPads.jpg

Edited by techyiam

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

Do you have the Inmotion branded power/ brake pads designed specifically for the V12, like the one in the picture below? If not, which power pads did you get?

V12-PowerPads.jpg

I have grizzla pads which were similar to these. I also have the Russian pads that replace the top pads on the v12. I liked both quite a bit. Just started preferring no pads. 

I will probably change my mind again at some point and put pads back on lol. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone, I think I have the new board as Eeves mentioned they replaced it before sending my V12 HS just last week.  When I open app it doesn't show the ability to update to the new firmware. Deleted app and so forth with no luck. Any advice or other things I could try? 

4 minutes ago, James M said:

Hi Everyone, I think I have the new board as Eeves mentioned they replaced it before sending my V12 HS just last week.  When I open app it doesn't show the ability to update to the new firmware. Deleted app and so forth with no luck. Any advice or other things I could try? 

You should contact EEVEES about this. They would surely know. Cole is the head tech there.

1 hour ago, James M said:

What firmware do you currently have - post image from about page  (here's mine):

IMG_CDFB2D67F685-1-NO-SN.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JMX said:

What firmware do you currently have - post image from about page  (here's mine):

IMG_CDFB2D67F685-1-NO-SN.jpeg

Hi there, Thanks so much for your response! I was having difficulty adding a photo but here is the requested information. Thanks again! 

Driver: 4v.103.32

Main board: v1.5.4

Display: v2.1.55

1 minute ago, James M said:

Hi there, Thanks so much for your response! I was having difficulty adding a photo but here is the requested information. Thanks again! 

Driver: 4v.103.32

Main board: v1.5.4

Display: v2.1.55

BLE: 2.1.55

My new driver board and firmware 1.6.19 continue to be running stellar. I still haven't seen the temperatures going much higher either. For most of the year, the ambient temperatures are much lower. I think I am in the clear for my use case, and locale.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:20 AM, jimjam.nyc said:

I have grizzla pads which were similar to these. I also have the Russian pads that replace the top pads on the v12. I liked both quite a bit. Just started preferring no pads. 

Thanks.

I received my Inmotion branded power pads specifically designed for the V12, and have installed them. The kit provide a round shaped velcro/adhesive pad to be placed on the round portion of the cover just inside the circular LED lighting strip. So far, I find the brake pad placement too low. I don't get much stopping power from it. But it does help. However, I find emergency braking power lacking. Ironically, the braking pad I fabricated from Yoga blocks, (which were mounted higher, basically at the stock pad level), gave much more stopping power.

Just curious, where did you mount your Grizlza brake pads. I have seen madpack and others mount them higher near the stock pad height. But at that location, the surfaces are not flat / level.

Having said that, the Inmotion brake pads were great in facilitating trail braking. I was traveling at 52 km/h., indicated, making a right turn at the end of a city block. I braked late moderately hard, and gradually taper off braking to the apex. For me, the cornering speed was higher than normal. With the braking pad mounted where it was, I could perform this maneuver so naturally. With the heavier tire, and thus more gyro effects, I could lean inside more. That brought back memories of riding a motorcycle. Except on an euc, you don't have to worry about let out the brake lever too suddenly like a light switch. You don't have to worry about unloading the front tire too abruptly. The rider dynamics is not unlike an inline skater making a high speed turn, except you are still braking fairly hard into the corner.   🙂

On 7/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, jimjam.nyc said:

I actually find it easier to stop without the pads.

I think I am starting to understand where you are coming from.

You mentioned that spiked pedals was an important addition to your wheel. I believe you managed to combine the non-slip effects of spike pedals and your braking technique to move your center of gravity of your body to be way behind the rear edge of the pedals.

In contrast, when you were braking, using braking pads as leverage, you were not able to lean back as much. Anf so that's the trade off. But in your case, moving back your center of gravity back more gave you better braking power.

I am starting to appreciate the braking pads being mounted lower. I don't get as much leverage, but it keeps my body from falling off the back. Because of this, I can lean way back, allowing me to brake much harder. I am still practicing to see where this gets me. Thank you for sharing your insight. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

I think I am starting to understand where you are coming from.

You mentioned that spiked pedals was an important addition to your wheel. I believe you managed to combine the non-slip effects of spike pedals and your braking technique to move your center of gravity of your body to be way behind the rear edge of the pedals.

In contrast, when you were braking, using braking pads as leverage, you were not able to lean back as much. Anf so that's the trade off. But in your case, moving back your center of gravity back more gave you better braking power.

I am starting to appreciate the braking pads being mounted lower. I don't get as much leverage, but it keeps my body from falling off the back. Because of this, I can lean way back, allowing me to brake much harder. I am still practicing to see where this gets me. Thank you for sharing your insight. 

It is Def a personal preference thing. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I feel like whatever works for you and keeps you safe is the right way! 

So much advice flying around the forums and groups. I actually enjoy finding a quiet open spot and really trying out all of the configurations on my wheel to see what works best for my liking.

Like I said I must have put my pads on and off tons of times.

I definitely feel the spiked pedals though is something I will always want. It's been a solid upgrade

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

It is Def a personal preference thing. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I feel like whatever works for you and keeps you safe is the right way! 

Totally agreed. But it is good to be aware of the competing options. Before, I automatically assumed breaking pads were better to have than not.

4 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I definitely feel the spiked pedals though is something I will always want. It's been a solid upgrade

Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by techyiam

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 5:53 PM, techyiam said:

I've been off the wheel for a few weeks (work is nuts, Mom's in the hospital, LIFE!), but grabbed it last night to do a couple quick laps and noticed the "!" on the display.  Opened the Inmotion app, and found that it was prompting for a firmware update.
Took 1.6.19 without a hitch (other than the long waits between packages, and one "failed" at the 3rd package, which finished immediately after it said "failed".)  Used Android to do the update (Samsung S21).

@techyiam Haven't ridden it long enough since the board swap to get up to full temps to check, but thanks for pointing me at how to do so, I'll (hopefully) get a ride in next weekend and report back. 

• Like 1