Inmotion V12 HS Firmware Update 1.6.19 Tips

techyiam

**WARNING** anyone with a V12 HT - I suggest waiting (even though you get the prompt to do it)

Mine got through the first part (main board upgrade) and now shows the new version but fails on part 2 the driver board update with:

Warm Tips

Update Failed: 3503040299

Sent an email to inmotion global support - just leaving it on for now (it wont balance and shows the warning symbol in the app and on the screen then passes all the diags fine)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JMX said:

Anyone found a link for a "changelog" on what the new update includes ?

If they don't show "changelog" you don't need to update the wheel.. (Because you don't know what you're getting.) I personally haven't updated my wheel once, when i got it. Wheel runs good - i'm happy. Most problems start happening, when you try to update already working wheel. Sure i get V12 has many problems. But still.. I would wait week, maybe 2, before i'll attempt updating.

Example: kingsong has already v2.12 out there? I'm still running v2.03 - and i don't even plan updating it, till they start showing "changelogs". Most of times it all goes to shit, when you try to update.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But in this case it doesn't apply to V12. :D 

Ive updated the V8F in the past with no issue (and other Eboards and many other devices) - but yea I get it - its still a new wheel - new firmware not uncommon - was going to wait a few days and rolled the dice - this is what happened - anyway - the change log is in the app - its to do with battery safety

Edited by JMX
fix sp

3 hours ago, JMX said:

Anyone found a link for a "changelog" on what the new update includes ?

If they're as useful as KS's changelogs, it'll say something informative like "better hand up"***.

Do you feel lucky?

*** turns out "better hand up" did something to the selection of how the S18 (and only the S18) behaved when you selected one of the lift switch options... unmotivated, microbalance or damping. Very illuminating! For my 16X, it did nothing.

4 hours ago, JMX said:

**WARNING** anyone with a V12 HT - I suggest waiting (even though you get the prompt to do it)

Mine got through the first part (main board upgrade) and now shows the new version but fails on part 2 the driver board update with:

Warm Tips

Did you use an iPhone or an Android phone? 

Did you close your Inmotion app, and start it again. It may prompt you to retry?

@techyiam Thanks for all of this info. This is good stuff!

Some of us on the v12 telegram are trying to troubleshoot some of the issues with the update. I think @JMX is on that thread!

I just want to post some other oddities i have seen with this update to add to the information

While my update didnt fail. The main board (1st part) got stuck at around 20%. Like @techyiam mentioned, there is no feedback.. The screen went black made a success type sound then proceeded to say "please repair" like 5 times. It moved on to the other two updates and went like described above. 

The weird part is after the update, all looked good except my wheel was locked and i needed to unlock it in the app. Which took me some time to figure out. I kept going to transport mode, but it was the "lock" option. 

So if anyone gets this behavior. Unlock the wheel in the app. While locked, the wheel has major resistance to the motor like a blown mosfet would react. Just another heads up.

I have not ridden it yet since the update, i will try and test it out a bit tonight. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Did you use an iPhone or an Android phone? 

Did you close your Inmotion app, and start it again. It may prompt you to retry?

Iphone first then two ipads and finally Android - they all show the same error after it pushes the 2nd update (the BLE one) to the V12HT - the display on it shows the downloading icon then after about 5 secs this goes away and the error shows on the sending phone / or tablet - wheel wont balance - says basically device limited cause it has a firmware upgrade to do  (it shows it has the updated main board firmware and its when it moves on to the next part it fails)

12 minutes ago, JMX said:

Iphone first then two ipads and finally Android - they all show the same error after it pushes the 2nd update (the BLE one) to the V12HT - the display on it shows the downloading icon then after about 5 secs this goes away and the error shows on the sending phone / or tablet - wheel wont balance - says basically device limited cause it has a firmware upgrade to do  (it shows it has the updated main board firmware and its when it moves on to the next part it fails)

Just in case, I forgot to mention it in my first post, did you download and install the latest Inmotion app first?

As for me, for each part of the update, once the download icon shows up on the V12 display, it would go to completion for that part.

8 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Just in case, I forgot to mention it in my first post, did you download and install the latest Inmotion app first?

As for me, for each part of the update, once the download icon shows up on the V12 display, it would go to completion for that part.

yea I did - only my iphone had the app so I downloaded the latest today on the 2 ipads and Android phone

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JMX said:

Warm Tips

Sent an email to inmotion global support - just leaving it on for now (it wont balance and shows the warning symbol in the app and on the screen then passes all the diags fine)

I got an email from IMSCV support - they are going to connect one of their techs to my wheel to take look (quick response) - heard back from them in less than a day

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JMX said:

I got an email from IMSCV support - they are going to connect one of their techs to my wheel to take look (quick response) - heard back from them in less than a day

My wheel is fixed - with a remote support session with Inmotion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Nice! What did they do? Just curious

I think they bypassed the stalling BLE update - it went straight to the driver board and finished fine (not sure if they pulled that for all of my recent batch or just mine)

• Like 1

I feel like inmotion always had issues with their bluetooth boards. Even on v11s

I wonder what kind of functionality they are even updating with these. I dont believe there were any notes in the changelog for ble updates. I wonder if its just a version number bump up with some updated drivers or something.. Prob nothing critical. 

Sometimes its best to leave well enough alone. 

• Like 1

It looks like I was one of the lucky ones this time around. All three parts of the Firmware Update 1.6.19 went all the way through successfully. I wasn't as fortunate the last time updating Firmware Update 1.5.4. It didn't run through successfully, and I ended up with a wonky behaving V12. It had a mind of its own. I would do an angle calibration, and if I power up a few hour or more later, it would undo what I set earlier. The pedal sensitivity and split mide settings were all over the place. Turning, Leaning, and Riding Forward Calibration did not worked properly. 

Now with 1.6.19 update, all is fixed. Even Bluetooth is a bit more responsive. Things just work as expected. However, I can't get the pedal sensitivity as high as before. By that I mean, for the same rider input, braking is not as strong as before. It is like they are treating it as an 18" wheel, and you would need pads to get the most out of it. Oh yes, I have not start using power pads yet.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Now with 1.6.19 update, all is fixed. Even Bluetooth is a bit more responsive. Things just work as expected. However, I can't get the pedal sensitivity as high as before. By that I mean, for the same rider input, braking is not as strong as before. It is like they are treating it as an 18" wheel, and you would need pads to get the most out of it. Oh yes, I have not start using power pads yet.

I am curious to test ride the wheel now after the update. I have been riding without my pads for the past few months. I had the pads on, then took them off, then put them on, then took them off. I came to the conclusion i like the wheel in a softer mode and without pads. I just enjoyed it more being less constricted and locked in. 

To be fair i do have spiked pedals with adjustable angle to kind of lock me in a bit more than the standard pedals. 

I need to get out there now and see if i feel a difference.

19 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I am curious to test ride the wheel now after the update. I have been riding without my pads for the past few months. I had the pads on, then took them off, then put them on, then took them off. I came to the conclusion i like the wheel in a softer mode and without pads. I just enjoyed it more being less constricted and locked in. 

For me also. Before, the new firmware update, I had it in the softer mode too. Now, I am on the harder mode. All without pads.

Just curious, don't you lose a lot of stopping power when you ride without pads?

7 minutes ago, techyiam said:

For me also. Before, the new firmware update, I had it in the softer mode too. Now, I am on the harder mode. All without pads.

Just curious, don't you lose a lot of stopping power when you ride without pads?

I use the split mode and soften braking up to about 30% and I found this to be quite good for me. I actually find it easier to stop without the pads. i may be in the minority here, but i find the ability to lean back more without the restriction of the pads to give me better and quicker stopping. I do like pads but i just feel the pushing against the pads to stop vs giving myself more room to lean back and offset the center of gravity didnt work as well or as quickly for me. 

As a side note. I am not very aggressive when riding. I do go fast, and need to stop quick.. I just usually am not gunning it all the time!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I use the split mode and soften braking up to about 30% and I found this to be quite good for me. I actually find it easier to stop without the pads. i may be in the minority here, but i find the ability to lean back more without the restriction of the pads to give me better and quicker stopping. I do like pads but i just feel the pushing against the pads to stop vs giving myself more room to lean back and offset the center of gravity didnt work as well or as quickly for me. 

As a side note. I am not very aggressive when riding. I do go fast, and need to stop quick.. I just usually am not gunning it all the time!

Thank you for sharing that. That is quite enlightening for me. I didn't know it is even possible. I can only assume that your V12 is working really well, and that you have some serious skills without pads. I need to work on my braking.

42 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Thank you for sharing that. That is quite enlightening for me. I didn't know it is even possible. I can only assume that your V12 is working really well, and that you have some serious skills without pads. I need to work on my braking.

My skills are mediocre at best! I still fumble getting on the wheel on certain hills and things. 

My wheel always worked well, even with the old board. I guess I am lucky so far with the v12.

I do get alot of quick breaking and dodging practice in NYC. So I think after a bunch of close calls and mistakes I clicked with certain skills.

I see why people like the locked in feel with pads. I just found myself more comfortable with freedom of movement. 

I did make my pedal angle a bit more aggressive though to help not fly off the pedals as much.

I also am just really careful to try not to get into a position I am uncomfortable with. I have no issues getting off and trolley the wheel if I feel like I can't handle something. 

• Like 1

Looks like they re-released the BLE update - anyone tried it yet ?

(a few have on the FB V12 group and its gone through fine)

(Gonna wait a bit on mine)