Tire type and it's affect on mileage

Japmerican

Hey all,

I've just bit the bullet after 4 years and am getting my second EUC; Veteran Sherman Max.  I've already got the KingSong KS-18S and have loved every minute of it.  I'm a mileage fan more than anything but I do love some off-road time.  I know the basics of physics and I know that a knobby tire will not get the same mileage as a street tire, with all other things being the same.  But, how much different?  Has anyone done any kind of test in that area for EUC's?  I know that the specs list the Sherman Max with certain idle situations having a 144 mile range.  And I know that will NOT be the case for me.  I'm a tad heavier than the ideals; I'll ride faster than that; I'll be all over the place on speeds and hills, and off-road, so I will not get that kind of mileage.  But what can I expect with two different tire types.  If I were to actually get 100 miles on a street tire, would I only lose about 10 miles or so with a knobby tire?  I'd like to see some numbers on the differences between mileage on different tires.  I love actually raw tables and stuff but I don't actually need those.  If anyone can just give me their own experience of switching tires on an EUC they have and how much it changed that would be sufficient.  I just need to make a decision as to which tire to get.  I prefer more mileage as my highest priority, but if it's only going to give me another 5 or so miles, then I'd rather have the knobby tire, so I go off-road much easier, and sound like a bunch of angry bees while on the road too. LOL

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and thoughts.  I love this hobby/addiction!

• Like 2

I think it is extremely difficult to find reliable data on EUCs. I have changed to a knobby tire on two wheels but I always do it for fall and winter riding season when it’s also cold weather and that affects the range much more. My hunch is that knobby tire does have an effect on range but not as big as air pressure on tire, clothing (air resistance), temperature, and especially riding style. 

I suggest you search info from motorcycle world. There’s more data available and I’m sure people have done comparisons on street and knobby tires. That might give you a rough idea on percentage.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 11:38 PM, Japmerican said:

Hey all,

I've just bit the bullet after 4 years and am getting my second EUC; Veteran Sherman Max.  I've already got the KingSong KS-18S and have loved every minute of it.  I'm a mileage fan more than anything but I do love some off-road time.  I know the basics of physics and I know that a knobby tire will not get the same mileage as a street tire, with all other things being the same.  But, how much different?  Has anyone done any kind of test in that area for EUC's?  I know that the specs list the Sherman Max with certain idle situations having a 144 mile range.  And I know that will NOT be the case for me.  I'm a tad heavier than the ideals; I'll ride faster than that; I'll be all over the place on speeds and hills, and off-road, so I will not get that kind of mileage.  But what can I expect with two different tire types.  If I were to actually get 100 miles on a street tire, would I only lose about 10 miles or so with a knobby tire?  I'd like to see some numbers on the differences between mileage on different tires.  I love actually raw tables and stuff but I don't actually need those.  If anyone can just give me their own experience of switching tires on an EUC they have and how much it changed that would be sufficient.  I just need to make a decision as to which tire to get.  I prefer more mileage as my highest priority, but if it's only going to give me another 5 or so miles, then I'd rather have the knobby tire, so I go off-road much easier, and sound like a bunch of angry bees while on the road too. LOL

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and thoughts.  I love this hobby/addiction!

with knobby(28PSI) my sherman vanila v2 range 95Km after switch to K66 "street" same 95km (28PSI).

Big thrue is all PSI dependant more PSI more bounce = more pain in leg= more pain in knees= more range logicaly in real world is other factors what change range more drasticly.

For info my sherman have tiltback on 43 km/h (26miles/h) this is bigest factor how save range.

Knobykenda pros compare to street:

more suspension feel

more stable in speeds and front direction ride

better stair climbing becasue of knobs

Pros "street" tires k66 (or michelin city pro on my MSP HT)

smother ride no tire vibration when ride

EUC is more agile efortless turning in low speed

is almost SILENT not make dogs angry compare to knoby (big diference and surprise for me)

Tire afect how EUC react to lean you body is completly diferent "feel" how EUC ride and both options need time to adapt for rider.