Basic help for new Ninebot rider

bumblebee

Hi-

I recently acquired my first EU, a Ninebot One C+. I am eager to learn to ride as we have a few days of good weather right now. I'm making progress but every time I go a few yards, the wheel tilts back and I feel I've got to jump off and let it go careening into the grass. I thought if I lean back the wheel should slow down and the tilt back should update. But  I don't seem to be able to do that. What am I doing wrong? I have the speed limit set very low because I am a risk-averse person. Is that my problem? The battery says it's at about 69%, so I don't think that can be the problem. I think the firmware is at 1.2.2 or something like that; I don't think it's the dreaded one that kills the wheel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and by the way, I have the somatosensory setting at 3, which is how it shipped to me. Should I take that up or down?

You don't need to lean back dramatically to slow down, use a wall, railing or someone else as a support to get the feel of the action

It's just practise.

It took me about 4 days just to go in a line and at times I thought I wouldn't get it.

Settings 0 is hard the  thing doesn't tilt much

12 is soft it feels spongy and tilts a lot more.

3 is fine to get going.

Jer

Ive only had mine for 3 months now, and it does take a little while to get the confidence up on it.

i found riding it on grass helped, as I wasnt worried about it scuffing up, and if I fell Id be ok. I think riding on grass to begin with gives you some "resistance" and before long you will want to lean into it a little more to get it to move at the speed you like.

i also covered the wheel in that protective tape it comes with, but actually found I ride heaps better without it, as now Im not so worried about scuff marks on it....its almost a requirement of the learning process.

you will ding your ankles up a bit too in the beginning, once again, its the pain to acheive the eventual gain... The looks you'll get as people look and wonder how you are riding a single wheel with far outweigh any pain you feel in getting there.

Just do 10-15 min a day on it to begin with and it will eventually click, and away you go...

enjoy

17 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Thanks! It's scary but if I lean back when not tilting it'll slow down right? I'm seriously still terrible at this thing. Oh, and what does the somatosensory setting mean? When should I adjust it?

Unless you're underage, or your religious or cultural beliefs are opposed to it, my advice is to start by having a nice beer. I'm being completely serious.

The more tense you are when you start, the harder you're making it on yourself. 

Have a nice drink or whatever you do to chill out, and take it in baby steps. As was said earlier, you don't need the speed limiter on.

Ride setting 3 is fine, people have an unusually diverse set of opinions on which ones they like. Stick with the 3 until you can ride, and only then experiment.

A big factor when you start is tire pressure. Make sure it's not too high. Perhaps 40 to 45 is sensible while you're learning.

ps. Two beers for best results ???

I'll second the 'beer' thing - I've fallen off a good few times (not lately thankfully!) but never while under the influence.  Definitely helps to relax and enjoy rather than tense up and worry about hurting yourself. 

There must be a limit to this theory and, I'm glad to say, I haven't yet found it but then again I always was a lightweight where it came to drinking.

Hello.. its about finding your balance as well. Remember to bend and relax your knees. I know it will be harder to balance but you will find yourself easier to control the wheels as you have lower center of gravity,  your knees will act as a pivot and shock suspension as well. 

Keep your upper body straight as well and DO NOT OVER LEAN!  I somehow don't trust 9bots speed management 

Most of all have lots of fun. Its not a mission :)

Guys, I have a couple of follow up questions:

I upped the speed limit to 10 km/h. Things were going very well. Today, I started to experience tiltback again, and I really do not think I was going anywhere near 10 km/h (maybe more like 6-7), and I'm confident the battery was nice and full. The tiltback was not as severe or sudden as before, but still, it was happening, and I can't figure out why. I also feel like I tried to lean back and slow down and it made no difference. When I turned off the speed limiter altogether it seemed to resolve, but I didn't have too much more time to practice at that point, so I'm not totally sure. It was a windy day today; do you think that could have affected it somehow? Or maybe I'm not doing the right thing in terms of leaning back and slowing down (but I think when it's not tilting I am able to ride in a slow and controlled manner)?

Second, I am afraid to update my firmware after the horror stories on here. I believe I'm currently on 1.2.__. I know it sounds like 1.3.5 or whatever they're on now is likely okay, but I can't figure out how to get the app to tell me what version it wants to update to, so I can make sure updating is safe. I'm in IOS, if any of you have any thoughts on that.

Thanks for all the help to date, and for any more you can offer!

10 kph is not very fast. Can you measure your speed to check, using a phone app or handheld gps? As far as firmware, it seems 1.3.5 is ok, aside from a change in the way it sounds (there were some complaints of high pitch whining sound). 

6 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Second, I am afraid to update my firmware after the horror stories on here. I believe I'm currently on 1.2.__. I know it sounds like 1.3.5 or whatever they're on now is likely okay, but I can't figure out how to get the app to tell me what version it wants to update to, so I can make sure updating is safe. I'm in IOS, if any of you have any thoughts on that.

Thanks for all the help to date, and for any more you can offer!

Currently it's not up to us to choose what fw version to get. Only choice is black 1.3.5 and no way back... I am the newbie just like you and staying on fw 1.2.3 until I feel that something is not good enough with that version.

I upped the speed limit to 10 km/h. Things were going very well. Today, I started to experience tiltback again, and I really do not think I was going anywhere near 10 km/h (maybe more like 6-7), and I'm confident the battery was nice and full.

10km/h is VERY slow feeling when you are on your wheel.  You were likely hitting 10km/h, but it could have been the next thing also.

It was a windy day today; do you think that could have affected it somehow?

Riding into a wind WILL cause tilt back.  I've experienced it a number of times.  Try upping your speed limiter to 12km/h and see if it feels different.  If it does, and you still feel like it tilts back too soon, but at a higher rate then before, you might want to turn off the Speed Limiter altogether.  That would be my suggestion.

I'm not going to suggest you update as I don't want to be the guy you hate if you don't like it, but I'm very glad I did.  As @Jdestef mentioned, you can only update to the latest version, and 1.3.5 seems to be reliable in most people's eyes.  If/When 1.3.6 or higher comes out, there will be a time to wait to verify if everyone is happy with it.

Thanks everyone! I took off the speed limiter (and it's not windy anymore), so I had a nice ride today. I'm still not nearly good enough to commute with it but I feel I'll get there! I also updated the firmware when I came home. I probably won't get a chance to try that for a day or so, though, so fingers crossed it still works--it would be a drag to have killed it just as I am starting to really enjoy it and the weather is improving!

Now that your speed limiter is off, pay special attention to the tilt back.  If you hit it, be sure to slow down immediately, but not abruptly as that can cause a cutout too.  You really don't want to come off at that speed.  It still does not seem too fast, unless you are trying to catch yourself from a fall.

PS:  Congratulations!  You are now on your way to a heck of a fun time!  Practice your stopping and starting and have that down for when you do commute.  It will be important to have it second nature when you need it, and eventually you will.

The wind is really scary, I feel like getting dragged towards the side forcefully, I hope with more experience I can deal with it better. 

Have fun @bumblebee

Edit : OK, today officially I became the coolest human being in Philadelphia, on the street, at the park, bike trail, everyone looked at me in awe, some ask what this cool thing called, most just too much in an awe to ask questions, lol. Good thing I don't faceplanted. 

37 minutes ago, Vanquiz said:

The wind is really scary, I feel like getting dragged towards the side forcefully, I hope with more experience I can deal with it better. 

Yeah, the wind is basically kryptonite to eucs. I have a weather app on my phone (met office) that is considered to be the best for the UK and I almost pay more attention to the wind forecast than rain/sunshine/temperature estimates

I've been riding motorcycles for 45 years now.  On a bike, Side Winds are no fun, but the trick is to relax a bit and allow the bike to move around.  On the EUC, I have not found the "Trick" yet.  I'm still testing it, but I have only ridden in it about 3 times now.  If I figure it out, I'll post back what works.  As it is now, the wind sucks when it's strong.  Worse from the side, but even bad from the front or back.  On a bike, the front or back doesn't matter other than making you more tired.

well current living in the land of extreme weather (Australia), where we have all 4 seasons in 1 day and strong guzzy wind, my advise is to make sure your legs are firm to the wheel. Again relax your knee but have your shin clamp hold on the cushion. Upper body is straight and firm. Dont get too loose. I realize that in our EUC world your legs is like a foundation you will be fine. Shins and foot is the foundation, Bend knees is like a suspension and absorbs impacts, and your upper body is the core of the steering 

Be aware of these components whilst you are learning and form a habit. Even myself tend to get lazy and forget to bend my knees and legs are straight. Slight impact I still tend to lose my balance a bit.

Actually  i find wind blowing at you is fun cause you can also "lean" against the wind .. hahaha dont advise this beginners though haha

Thanks again guys. I did actually manage to make it out again for a few minutes after updating the firmware and all seems fine. I also let my 12 year old son try it and within 5 minutes he was better than I was after about 4 hours of practice. I am not exaggerating in the least. It was horribly embarrassing. But he was sweet and encouraging and told me he just knew I would shred before too long (he's a snowboarder). 

Archived