[VIDEO] Manual Calibration for Both Roll AND Pitch Angles Thanks to @Vik's

SuperSport

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's some good news, guys. Glad to hear that manual method is working for many of you. @Skara Don't give up! I really hope it'll work for your 9b1 too.

On ‎25‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 11:05 PM, Vanquiz said:

I did manual calibration 3x, the first couple times, it feels like it's tilted forward, not flat, this is confirmed by riding the bot the other way, it feels tilted back. The 3rd works like a charm, it might be the position when I hold the bot during the calibration.

A little side note, anyone know how to delete the bluetooth passcode, seems like after I set up the code, I have a very hard time connecting the app with the bot, have to restart my phone for one time connect, then it wont connect again.

On ‎25‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 11:18 PM, SuperSport said:

I've also had that problem.  Without Pass-code, connects quick.

As someone have mentioned previosly, - if you set 000000 as your bluetooth pairing code, 9b1 will never ask for code again. Handy in crowded areas where everyone have bluetooth-activated mobiles - as a weak (but at least offering some) security measure.

@Douglas IngramYes, you can adjust the pedal tilt angle with this manual calibration. 

First 2 calibrations, mine was tilted down, so on the 3rd, I slightly adjust the bot a bit backwards, that brings the pedal more flat when riding. 

Today, I feel the pedal, even though it's flat, but I found when tight turning, and jump off the curb, it's still tilted down too much for me . I tried the calibration via app couple times, but it doesn't change. So I did the manual calibration again, this time with even more backward position while holding the bot during the calibration. Now mine is a bit tilted up during rides, which much more comfortable for me during tight turns and jumping off the curbs. 

But I need to get used to the tilt back when approaching speed limit now, it feels so strong now with the starting pedal position is already tilted up a bit. 

7 hours ago, Vanquiz said:

@Douglas IngramYes, you can adjust the pedal tilt angle with this manual calibration. 

First 2 calibrations, mine was tilted down, so on the 3rd, I slightly adjust the bot a bit backwards, that brings the pedal more flat when riding. 

Today, I feel the pedal, even though it's flat, but I found when tight turning, and jump off the curb, it's still tilted down too much for me . I tried the calibration via app couple times, but it doesn't change. So I did the manual calibration again, this time with even more backward position while holding the bot during the calibration. Now mine is a bit tilted up during rides, which much more comfortable for me during tight turns and jumping off the curbs. 

But I need to get used to the tilt back when approaching speed limit now, it feels so strong now with the starting pedal position is already tilted up a bit. 

Yeah, after messing with the video yesterday, I had my pedals tilted up a little bit.  I forget to level it and started a ride in San Francisco this morning.  I did NOT like it up.  It allowed me to go fast easier, but that's not something I'm looking for as I already hit the top speed quite often.  And like you say, the tilt back was too extreme and made it hard to stop at stop lights.  I did a manual calibration in Golden Gate Park setting it perfectly level, and I'm super happy with that.  I guess I'm just used to it.

14 hours ago, Douglas Ingram said:

My wife has the ability on her In motion v3 to alter the plates pitch which I like the idea off. 

She he has them tip up slightly. 

Can an I have the same now using this method. 

Yes, no reason why not

Just set it on the  floor with the tilt   you want  and calibrate.

Jer

On 28 February 2016 at 10:00 PM, Vik's said:

That's some good news, guys. Glad to hear that manual method is working for many of you. @Skara Don't give up! I really hope it'll work for your 9b1 too.

Back to work after last week's holiday... Slows hobbies down considerably. :)

In summary, I've done the calibration now at least a dozen times trying to tilt the unit in various directions and noticed:

- pedal forward tilting still happens only when turning right, even if roll angle is calibrated to zero 

- due to above, I also tried calibrating a bias to the roll angle purposely in both directions and noticed I cannot force a positive bias: if I tilt the unit to right or left during calibration I always end up with a negative roll angle as a result

This makes me think that it could be a software bug, which could perhaps be fixed in a newer firmware. The saga continues in a future update, work permitting... Thanks for all the encouragement!

@Skara when you tilt hard both ways, you do get roll angle readings?  Or does it only read to a point and then stop in the one direction?

If it stops reading at some point, I'd suspect the angle sensor is physically not working. 

Otherwise, you are probably right and it could be software. 

4 hours ago, SuperSport said:

@Skara when you tilt hard both ways, you do get roll angle readings?  Or does it only read to a point and then stop in the one direction?

If it stops reading at some point, I'd suspect the angle sensor is physically not working. 

Otherwise, you are probably right and it could be software. 

@SuperSport When tilting left and right I can see roll angle go from -45 to +45, but difficult to tilt more without leaving a mark in the floor as it's hard to keep exactly level when tilted a lot.

Thanks for the Tips guy!

Is it any difference between the calibration like you did on your video and the standard bluetooth calibration process ?

28 minutes ago, cbgti said:

Thanks for the Tips guy!

Is it any difference between the calibration like you did on your video and the standard bluetooth calibration process ?

Its pitch and roll angle calibration vs pitch angle calibration:

I tried SuperSport's manual calibration method. It worked, and now the right turn is much better. In stead of using legs to hold the 9b1. I made a rack and put the roots of foot paddles on it to make sure it is horizontal in x and y direction in the (x, y, z)- coordinate.

Now my nb1 has another problem: After I go from the the drive way into street,  which typically have a drop, the 9b1 tilts forward. How to fix this problem?

4 hours ago, SuperSport said:

@ECUMania  When sitting still and powered on, it's level?

You mean when I calibrate? Yes, let nb1 sits on the rack , contacting the rack via paddle base. Keep it level, left and right, front and back. Then do calibration.

The nb1 tilting forward problem is this: When I go through a road in this sequence: incline down, drop, incline up, then I feel nb1 tilt forward and it correct itself in about 1 second later. This also occurs when I go through a pot hole on the ground. The firmware I am using is 1.3.5. I saw someone mentioned this phenomenon before for 1.2.? firmware. 

I think it came with the new algorithm of the firmware 1.3.5. I didn't feel it before. 

In my opinion, it's surprising, but not dangerous. 

It tilt forward, but it's very softly.

3 hours ago, ECUMania said:

You mean when I calibrate? Yes, let nb1 sits on the rack , contacting the rack via paddle base. Keep it level, left and right, front and back. Then do calibration.

The nb1 tilting forward problem is this: When I go through a road in this sequence: incline down, drop, incline up, then I feel nb1 tilt forward and it correct itself in about 1 second later. This also occurs when I go through a pot hole on the ground. The firmware I am using is 1.3.5. I saw someone mentioned this phenomenon before for 1.2.? firmware. 

Can you recalibrate again? Normally the tilting forward is corrected by the calibration.

@ECUMania  I have to admit, I only do curbs when I have to.  I'm too old to break my neck, because it won't feel good.

If it's level running until you jump the curb, I believe @cbgti is correct about it being the way it reacts.  I've also felt that.  Like him, I also just mark it up to the wheel reacting to bumps and changes in the forces to the gyros.  Just be aware of the bumps and sudden hills though as we all know the wheel can put you on your face unexpectedly if pushed too hard.  And that goes for any brand wheel.

My brothers also experienced, that they only can make about 5 steps down in succesion. Every step the 9bot tilts a bit more forward, until they cannot stand it anymore. Personally i only take one step/curb down and never felt the forward tilt...

dont know about stress, but the ninebots with 1.3.5 behave strangly if you go down many steps in succession. like these long and low pedestrian babystairs you see on some walkways. after each drop the front of the pedal goes down a degree. this adds up and get quite nasty after some 5+ steps ... the pedals raise again after driving some meters/seconds without jumping ...   (tested it with an E and E+ with about 10 stairs)  ...

CAM08411.jpg

On 3/9/2016 at 10:20 AM, SlowMo said:

Isn't frequent jumping on curbs doing  a lot of stress on the wheel hub? 

It can be for sure.  Things only take so much beating before they break.  The same goes for the Wheel's Hardware and Electronics.  But, if that's why you ride it, then you just plan maintenance into your cost of owning the wheel.

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2016 at 7:39 PM, Blunzn said:

after each drop the front of the pedal goes down a degree

Do you know if it is still the case with 1.4.0 ?

I'm also interested in this question.  I tried a ninebot with 1.3.5 for a while, and this problem bugged me so much I decided not to upgrade from 1.3.0.  If this issue is gone in 1.4.0 I might upgrade.

Archived