[VIDEO] Manual Calibration for Both Roll AND Pitch Angles Thanks to @Vik's

SuperSport

Thanks to @Vik's for this information, I've done a Video to show how to do a Manual Calibration on your NineBot One.  Using the Calibration method in the iOS or Android Apps only calibrates the Pitch Angle.  Using this Manual Method calibrates BOTH the Pitch AND Roll angles.

If you are having issues with your pedals tipping forward more when you turn one way than the other, then this might help.  After using this myself on my wheel and only going from about -4.6 degrees off to 0 degrees off, I immediately noticed a difference when I ride.  My pedals now tilt evenly when I turn.  I was surprised to find that small amount off made that much difference.

Here are the angles you are calibrating.  When your wheel is perfectly straight up, you want 0 on both, or as close to 0 as possible.

IMG_2019.PNG.9b0b4bb614c388bd88f08b3cdc2  IMG_2020.PNG.b4a18b3142cbeb84902607007d5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks @SuperSport, great video!

I did the manual calibration, and my roll angle stayed at -10. Perhaps my firmware, 1.2.0, does not do roll calibration, or perhaps the motherboard, which is v1.3. Uh... looks like I need to consider the dreaded firmware upgrade. Dang, it's silent, and I love everything about the wheel except the uneven tilt of pedals. I'll sleep on this and decide tomorrow morning. :)

Did you get the Green Lights for a couple seconds, then back to Red?  During the Green is when it's calibrating and it needs to be held level.  It could be firmware, but don't upgrade just yet in case that's not it.  Some people like 1.2.0 and I hate for you to lose it if you are one of them.  Other than the whistle (Which I can barely hear on mine) the ride is much improved (In MY Opinion).

Also, when you are in the app and your wheel is on, can you tilt the wheel and see the Roll Angle change on your screen?  If it's not moving, then maybe the sensor is physically stuck?

I did manual calibration 3x, the first couple times, it feels like it's tilted forward, not flat, this is confirmed by riding the bot the other way, it feels tilted back. The 3rd works like a charm, it might be the position when I hold the bot during the calibration.

A little side note, anyone know how to delete the bluetooth passcode, seems like after I set up the code, I have a very hard time connecting the app with the bot, have to restart my phone for one time connect, then it wont connect again.

7 minutes ago, Jdestef said:

Hell yes. My ninebot is cured.

TOO COOL!!!  Thanks @Vik's  I'm hoping @Skara will get it to take on his.  He's been having a problem for a while now.

15 minutes ago, Vanquiz said:

anyone know how to delete the bluetooth passcode

I've also had that problem.  Without Pass-code, connects quick.

9 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Did you get the Yellow Lights for a couple seconds, then back to Red?  During the Yellow is when it's calibrating and it needs to be held level.  It could be firmware, but don't upgrade just yet in case that's not it.  Some people like 1.2.0 and I hate for you to lose it if you are one of them.  Other than the whistle (Which I can barely hear on mine) the ride is much improved (In MY Opinion).

Also, when you are in the app and your wheel is on, can you tilt the wheel and see the Roll Angle change on your screen?  If it's not moving, then maybe the sensor is physically stuck?

I re-did it just now, and roll angle is ZERO! I don't know what I did differently. Maybe it really needed two attempts. Next, 8 km drive to the nearest place where I can test ride, stupid winter... will report back after the ride. Thank you so much @SuperSport!

5 minutes ago, Skara said:

I re-did it just now, and roll angle is ZERO! I don't know what I did differently. Maybe it really needed two attempts. Next, 8 km drive to the nearest place where I can test ride, stupid winter... will report back after the ride. Thank you so much @SuperSport!

Sweet!  It's a bummer it's been bad for so long and it was this easy to fix. Wish we knew earlier.  Should ride like a normal NineBot now. 

If for some reason your Pitch angle is off, you can do this again, or just calibrate using the app. 

6 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Sweet!  It's a bummer it's been bad for so long and it was this easy to fix. Wish we knew earlier.  Should ride like a normal NineBot now. 

If for some reason your Pitch angle is off, you can do this again, or just calibrate using the app. 

Just got back from the test ride, and now the plot thickens... the asymmetric pedal forward tilt remains! Dang. I triple checked the roll angle, and it is now zero when upright. So perhaps the roll angle is used only for the tip-over shutoff, as I recall someone suggesting in another thread.

4 minutes ago, Skara said:

Just got back from the test ride, and now the plot thickens... the asymmetric pedal forward tilt remains! Dang. I triple checked the roll angle, and it is now zero when upright. So perhaps the roll angle is used only for the tip-over shutoff, as I recall someone suggesting in another thread.

Do you mean the pedal feel way too much tilted forward when riding, and when you flip and ride it the other way it feels tilted backward? If it is, happened to me 2x, on my 3rd manual calibration, I tried to tilt it back just a hair, then I got great result, it feels flat now.

EDIT, after reading your comments again, I think you meant the tilted pedal when turning, if that so, I'm sorry, that's not the same as mine.

4 minutes ago, Skara said:

The ROLL Angle is left and right.  The Pitch Angle is forward back.  You now need to calibrate the Pitch Angle so it reads 0 when held perfectly straight up.  If calibrated with the wheel leaning forward or back, it will set that position.  Then when you turn it on, it will return to that leaning forward or back position.  You can do this Calibration in the App if you like, or do the Manual one again making sure to hold it perfectly level both Forward/Back, AND Left/Right.  I'll try to make another video for App Calibration in a bit.

Likely the wheel was leaning forward or back just a bit when you did the Manual Calibration.

Just now, Vanquiz said:

Do you mean the pedal feel way too much tilted forward when riding, and when you flip and ride it the other way it feels tilted backward? If it is, happened to me 2x, on my 3rd manual calibration, I tried to tilt it back just a hair, then I got great result, it feels flat now

Nope. If I ride completely straight, or turn left, the pedals stay pretty much level. So the pitch is fine, no problems. The problem is, when I make a completely identical turn to the right, the pedals tilt forward, and with very tight turns they tilt forward so much that the front of the pedal often scrapes the ground and limits the turning radius. So I'm able to make tighter turns to the left than to the right.

18 minutes ago, Skara said:

So perhaps the roll angle is used only for the tip-over shutoff

Roll Angle is for Tip Over, but will also make the wheel lean forward more when turning one direction than the other if it's not correct.  When set to 0 your wheel should lean forward equally on a left or right turn.

If it's tipping Too much during a turn, and it does it less when riding backwards, then the Pitch Angle needs to be adjusted.

7 minutes ago, Skara said:

Nope. If I ride completely straight, or turn left, the pedals stay pretty much level. So the pitch is fine, no problems. The problem is, when I make a completely identical turn to the right, the pedals tilt forward, and with very tight turns they tilt forward so much that the front of the pedal often scrapes the ground and limits the turning radius. So I'm able to make tighter turns to the left than to the right.

OH!  That is strange.  IF your Pitch and Roll are both 0 when held perfectly straight upright, then it should not lean a lot during turns.  It WILL lean some though.  And just to throw it out there, 1.3.5 made the lean considerably less.  I'm not saying upgrade. just mentioning it.

Also, for what it's worth, I scrub the pedals quite a bit when I ride.  Mostly for fun, but it happens.  And now that I've Manually Calibrated, it's less on the front and more evenly.

IMG_2033.JPG.e0448ba1e3c685abd2dec79cf7b

5 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Roll Angle is for Tip Over, but will also make the wheel lean forward more when turning one direction than the other if it's not correct.  When set to 0 your wheel should lean forward equally on a left or right turn.

If it's tipping Too much during a turn, and it does it less when riding backwards, then the Pitch Angle needs to be adjusted.

Just checked once more, the roll angle is as close to zero as possible to determine... I try and see if I can test ride some other units. Or upgrade to 1.3.5., you've been praising it so it can't be totally evil. :)  Perhaps exchange some thoughts with Jdestef first. If only it were possible to go back to previous firmware versions...

Just now, Skara said:

If only it were possible to go back to previous firmware versions

Agreed.  I believe it's possible, but getting them to give you the firmware is the trick.  With the firmware on the phone, I'm sure the HTTP request could be redirected to find whatever firmware you give it.

22 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

22 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

And just to throw it out there, 1.3.5 made the lean considerably less.  I'm not saying upgrade. just mentioning it.

Also, for what it's worth, I scrub the pedals quite a bit when I ride.  Mostly for fun, but it happens.  And now that I've Manually Calibrated, it's less on the front and more evenly.

Well, that's a pretty good argument for the upgrade!  At least doing these steps one-by-one isolated the problem, so I know a lot of reasons that do NOT cause the behaviour.

Just now, SuperSport said:

Also, @Vanquiz mentioned he had to calibrate 3 times before he got the results he wanted.  Maybe that's something you can try.  It might take more tries to make it Stick.

Not inconceivable. Come to think of it, I also repeated the procedure twice before it changed the roll angle. (Could be I missed a step in the procedure the first time, though.) Seems odd software design to require such multiple repeats. I'll try it though, perhaps it is natural for Chinese - "persevere and you will succeed". Would prevent people accidentally calibrating...

Just now, Skara said:

Well, that's a pretty good argument for the upgrade!  At least doing these steps one-by-one isolated the problem, so I know a lot of reasons that do NOT cause the behaviour.

But, you are still saying it leans more on right turns than on left turns by quite a bit?  IF that's the case, I'm not sure Firmware would fix it.  That's what the Roll Angle Calibration fixed for me.  Mine leaned more when turning right, but after calibration, it's pretty even.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:23 PM, SuperSport said:

Thanks to @Vik's for this information, I've done a Video to show how to do a Manual Calibration on your NineBot One.  Using the Calibration method in the iOS or Android Apps only calibrates the Pitch Angle.  Using this Manual Method calibrates BOTH the Pitch AND Roll angles.

If you are having issues with your pedals tipping forward more when you turn one way than the other, then this might help.  After using this myself on my wheel and only going from about -4.6 degrees off to 0 degrees off, I immediately noticed a difference when I ride.  My pedals now tilt evenly when I turn.  I was surprised to find that small amount off made that much difference.

Here are the angles you are calibrating.  When your wheel is perfectly straight up, you want 0 on both, or as close to 0 as possible.

IMG_2019.PNG.9b0b4bb614c388bd88f08b3cdc2  IMG_2020.PNG.b4a18b3142cbeb84902607007d5

Hi Supersport

Does your extendable  handle convert the ninebot to a one wheel scooter as well ?

Thanks

Jer

1 hour ago, jer said:

Does your extendable  handle convert the ninebot to a one wheel scooter as well ?

No, it's actually a lot harder to ride when holding on to the handle.  You need the quick reactions that your feet give it.

I agree. I learnt how to ride an EUC on a model with integrated handle. It is a lot more difficult to ride while holding the handle. A wasted a long time getting rid of very bad habits. The trolley handle is just here to take the EUC with you when you can't ride it, believe me.

28 minutes ago, Gil said:

I agree. I learnt how to ride an EUC on a model with integrated handle. It is a lot more difficult to ride while holding the handle. A wasted a long time getting rid of very bad habits. The trolley handle is just here to take the EUC with you when you can't ride it, believe me.

Totally agree with @Giland @SuperSport I used a strap whilst learning and if I attempted to pull it tight, like a handle it made control a lot harder. A strap certainly stops the wheel flying about if you fall off (simply lift the wheel off of the ground with it) and IMHO is a very good idea while learning but has to be held loosely like a dog lead. 

Extending the handle whilst riding would not only be worst for control but also very dangerous as it can flail around if you come off and can keep the wheel leaning and thus powered up for longer. 

3 hours ago, Keith said:

Extending the handle whilst riding would not only be worst for control but also very dangerous as it can flail around if you come off and can keep the wheel leaning and thus powered up for longer. 

Plus, the OEM NineBot handle is very flimsy, and would break off easily if it hit the ground while extended.

Archived