Anyone else thinks it's really dumb how many EUC content creators wear dark or low visibility clothes that blend in with everything while aggressively riding, lane splitting, and rolling through stop lights/signs?

tenofnine

Yeah, it is important to look brave and adventurous and a little bit dangerous for the video, that's part of the entertainment right? Not my style, the dark color palette is all wrong for my skin type.

37 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Yeah, it is important to look brave and adventurous and a little bit dangerous for the video, that's part of the entertainment right? 

I won't speak for anyone else but I ride gear-light (knee, slolam helmet, goggles) because it's a much more enjoyable experience for me. Being able to really feel the elements, the speed, is a huge part of the joy of EUC riding. I see people decked out in motorcycle jackets, heavy helmets and goofy looking wrist guards - are y'all just always riding in fear? 

• Haha 1

I have often poked fun at the EUC all-black aesthetic. I agree with the OP but think we should go a step further and call out EUC YouTubers and brands who/which promote mostly black-colored equipment and gear.

I nominate @Ben Hatfield for strutting a great look in several of his videos. Also, mild applause for OG @Marty Backe aka the Dark Lord :roflmao: who had a fashion makeover a couple years ago and now wears (some) colorful gear.

Here's my brand wish (hit) list:

• Demon United (all black body gear, wrist/elbow/knee guards, and most helmets). Their logo would look much cooler in a bright red or flame gradient.
  • Leatt (all black body gear - boring)
  • POC, Fox (boring helmets and body gear)
  • All EUC manufacturers (kudos to KS for adding some ninja flare and color to the S22, even if the red parts don't match :facepalm:)

Almost all helmet brands offer color varieties, yet most are just monochrome flavors. I'm calling out TSG (are the Swiss really too lazy or cheap to do any design work?) and Fox for underwhelming options. Thanks to Martha Stewart for inspiring TSG's pastel line-up for 2022 :sleep1:.

Shout out to Troy Lee Designs and a few no-name Chinese brands for having colorful if not outrageous artwork, even if some are gawdy or kitsch :barf:.

TLD_M22LE_SE4PA_VENOM_BLK_01_2000x.jpg?vTLD_B22S_D4CM_QUALIFIER_WHTBLU_01_2000x.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

I wear hi-viz if its very dull/close to dark or very wet but I don't go out at night. I don't see black as an issue during the day as there is no black in the surroundings I am at. I do have a white helmet deliberately to give contrast. I prefer not to be all black but sometimes am. My thinking is if I wore very visible clothing I would then expect people to see me but they won't. Wearing black and being camouflaged means I know there is a chance they won't see me so I ride with this in mind, defensively. [Also EUC's are illegal here so I don't want to attract attention to myself].  The way the brain processes visual information also has an impact on why people don't see you. Irrespective of what you wear or having lights on. (Remember how sometimes you have entered a room familiar to you only to find out some time later that something had changed but you hadn't noticed?) This is because once you are in a familiar setting the brain recalls the surroundings from memory. This also explains why when you first enter a new place you look at everything and take it all in but the next time you go in you don't. It all just appears. This can also happen if you are on a road very familiar to you and is how accidents often occur when we suddenly see something too late that wasn't there before. 

2 hours ago, Lets Do Science said:

are y'all just always riding in fear? 

I think the people who would be scared are the ones who don't ride EUC's. For me I wear all the gear because I have hurt myself a few times on M/C's not wearing the appropriate gear when I was younger and its just not worth the hassle/pain when wearing the right gear prevents it. I also enjoy dressing up and in some ways think cars on the road will take me more seriously looking that way. 

• Like 2

"Anyone else thinks it's really dumb how many EUC content creators..."

It's the folk that ride with no consideration for others that get to me. Then there's those that ride at high speed on the sidewalk (or on walking trails) and expect people to just jump out their way. Finally there's those that obviously have very little idea of the rules of the road but still ride along at a relatively high speed. I'll admit some folk make some very entertaining videos but, if they're encouraging others to ride like this (because it looks cool), then I don't think they do anything positive for the sport.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

"Anyone else thinks it's really dumb how many EUC content creators..."

It's the folk that ride with no consideration for others that get to me. Then there's those that ride at high speed on the sidewalk (or on walking trails) and expect people to just jump out their way. Finally there's those that obviously have very little idea of the rules of the road but still ride along at a relatively high speed. I'll admit some folk make some very entertaining videos but, if they're encouraging others to ride like this (because it looks cool), then I don't think they do anything positive for the sport.

Fuck the rest - I'm the MC in this story. Now bow down to me peasants. :D 

At least it's somewhat true? 

I like my dark colors... tbf, I'm pretty damn white, so the less gear I wear the easier it is to see me. :efee6b18f3: As for the rest... I plead the fifth and my video editting supports this....

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I don't really care what people wear when they ride.  If they get jacked up it's on them and it was their choice - and it should be!

The part that does make me wonder though is the potential negative impact it "could" have for the sport that we all love if they bite it hurting themselves or others or contributes to causing a major accident claiming more than their life.  That plastered on the news thankfully hasn't happened that I'm aware of.   I understand that there are plenty of people that don't think of that kinda thing, but I do.  The last thing I want is a negative spin in communities and media changing the vibe of our sport..so I try not to feed those beasts.  Yeah, the gear is hot, heavy and expensive and looks like a power ranger on drugs.  Yes, it takes away from the neat feel and experience and enjoyment of each ride.  I'd much rather not wear it.  But, I made the decision to wear the stuff.  The choice is each of ours to make and it will all end up being what it will be down the road.

I’ve been riding motorcycles a long time. A white helmet is more visible with more contrast then hi viz helmets. Hi viz can blend into natural colors. White sticks out like a sore thumb. Take note of motorcyclists and which helmet you see way up ahead. It isn’t the yellow or orange. It’s the white.

An example. Hi viz yellow vs white. Which do you see first?

D9E012B4-E78E-4F43-B341-3F07607EB1CA.jpeg

Edited by bracky72
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yoos said:

Yet, like a short skirt on a rape victim, lack of hi-viz clothing is not enough to blame a rider for an accident.

Yea but wearing a short skirt isn't illegal, and women who wear short skirts are allowed to walk on the sidewalks. We currently all ride vehicles that are either illegal or not sanctioned. So your analogy doesn't make sense. What would make more sense is the extremely similar analogy I already gave: If construction workers, etc just stopped wearing hi-viz clothing and it being their fault for getting hit or injured more often. Technically it would be their fault according to OSHA standards and laws and they could be fired.

34 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

I’ve been riding motorcycles a long time. A white helmet is more visible with more contrast then hi viz helmets. Hi viz can blend into natural colors. White sticks out like a sore thumb. Take note of motorcyclists and which helmet you see way up ahead. It isn’t the yellow or orange. It’s the white.

This whole statement is just categorically false and contradictory. "Hi viz can blend into natural colors", are you sure you know what Hi-viz even means?

edit - you added the picture, okay still doesn't make any sense. The white blends in more than bright yellow or orange still.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1

Look at the picture dude. It can’t be anymore clear. 

Show me a picture that proves your point?  Cause I can show you lots that prove mine. 

Edited by bracky72

37 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

An example. Hi viz yellow vs white. Which do you see first?

D9E012B4-E78E-4F43-B341-3F07607EB1CA.jpeg

I saw "rock" first.

13 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

Look at the picture dude. It can’t be anymore clear. 

So your head when you're riding is at ground level perfectly contrasted against green grass as you ride all the time? You are literally 0 feet tall?

Your head is at 6-6.5 fit riding an EUC and it's more likely against a city back drop or light and shadow or a blown out sky that is bright blue or white (sun or clouds)?

Even in your above example the unnatural bright yellow or orange is still more visible, it's a color that doesn't exists in most environments where you are likely to encounter a lot of other cars. You tried to give a very specific example above to bias to your point.

Edited by tenofnine

Full high viz suit plus helmet vs white jacket and helmet. It’s subjective but that high viz is no cure all.

You’re making excuses and creating conditions.  Show me examples.  I can keep going with more examples.

FDE78902-2906-4FA3-A2EB-F331BA2749BE.jpeg

Edited by bracky72

check out this picture for example and there are so many other similar ones....the helmet just blends white into the sky. (<- see what I did there)
This is why you'll mostly see yellow or orange construction helmets, they are much more popular than this white one.

Kishigo :: High Visibility Apparel and Safety Clothing

Edited by tenofnine