Veteran Sherman tire pressure

No1up

I’m about 215lb. I had it at my normal (on other EUCs) 35psi but it’s very wobbly. Even standing straight didn’t work. I did lower it, on the side of the road, so I did t have gauge, And it helped a lot. However I’m worried about it being too low. 

280lbs here and riding at 28psi. (At mine weight, i should be riding near 40psi.. But anything over 30psi i get that "riding on knife edge" feeling.)

Going over curbs - you have to slow down, otherwise works great. Even at 28psi my whole tire tread doesn't contact the ground, more or less only middle - meaning even 28psi is kinda "high".

Try 30psi - you will be fine. Also sherman has bigger tire - more rim protection, so you can lower psi. If you ride only flat asphalt - you can lover more.. Even Marty rides most of his wheels at 28psi.. So i heard and he's much lighter than me. :D 

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

280lbs here and riding at 28psi. (At mine weight, i should be riding near 40psi.. But anything over 30psi i get that "riding on knife edge" feeling.)

Going over curbs - you have to slow down, otherwise works great. Even at 28psi my whole tire tread doesn't contact the ground, more or less only middle - meaning even 28psi is kinda "high".

Try 30psi - you will be fine. Also sherman has bigger tire - more rim protection, so you can lower psi. If you ride only flat asphalt - you can lover more.. Even Marty rides most of his wheels at 28psi.. So i heard and he's much lighter than me. :D 

I figured, when I dropped the pressure she felt much more table and comfortable. 

thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to ride lower psi in the stock knobby, like 26 psi for my 235lbs weight. With time I inched the psi up, and lower psi started feeling flabby and unpredictable...I'm liking 36-38 psi on the same tire now and about the same on the Michelin PS2 tire.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, brockj said:

With time I inched the psi up, and lower psi started feeling flabby and unpredictable...I'm liking 36-38 psi on the same tire now and about the same on the Michelin PS2 tire.

Something similar happened to me too, except in my case, it involved a Begode T3 and a stock CST-1488 tire. I had tried, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, and 20 psi. I settled on 25 psi, because it dealt with bumps better, and any lower psi would result in a dented rim. But after a few thousands of kilometers, something changed, and I couldn't ride it any more. Even at low speeds it felt squirrely. I did a few things in addition to bumping up the tire pressure up to 35 psi, and and after that it felt great. I don't know why now at 35 psi, it doesn't feel that bumpy anymore. I guess I wasn't that delusional after all. Good to know. 🙂

On 7/2/2022 at 11:03 AM, Funky said:

Your telling of 28 psi may confused some viewers because your current tire is a tubeless scooter tire that have very stiff sidewalls. I think it may be more clearer if you would qualify that with the type of tire you are using. I could have ridden my CST tubeless Moped 16x2.5 tire at 10 psi and would not have dented my rim. It would be much, much easier to dent a bicycle tire at 28 psi than a tubeless scooter tire at 28 psi. Normally people do run their scooter tires on an euc at a lower tire pressure, especially if it is a tubeless.

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Your telling of 28 psi may confused some viewers because your current tire is a tubeless scooter tire that have very stiff sidewalls. I think it may be more clearer if you would qualify that with the type of tire you are using. I could have ridden my CST tubeless Moped 16x2.5 tire at 10 psi and would not have dented my rim. It would be much, much easier to dent a bicycle tire at 28 psi than a tubeless scooter tire at 28 psi. Normally people do run their scooter tires on an euc at a lower tire pressure, especially if it is a tubeless.

I rode my CST C-1488 also at 28 psi. I think because K66 has that "center" groove, it compresses more than solid middle M/C tires. So go figure.. Like i said before, the 1488 and K66 felt the same to me.. Yes with hands you can tell, that sidewalls alone are 3x times "thicker". But while riding it compresses almost he same as 1488.

Edited by Funky

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

But while riding it compresses almost he same as 1488.

That is very hard to believe.  And I am not calling you a liar. By that I mean I am having a hard time understanding the content of what you are reporting.

As you know, I played with a tubeless scooter tire, and a tubetype scooter tire. And from my experience, that tubeless scooter tire was super stiff. Putting on was no walk in the park. Or to take off. Mind you, the tubetype scooter tire was only a bit easier. In any case, after mounting, that tubeless tire was already pretty firm without air. Inflate to 10 psi, and it was quite hard. I could ride on it. At 10 psi, in comparison, was pretty much un-inflated for the CST-1488. 

COMPLETE CHANGE OF TOPIC.

If you don't mind, I like you to verify something for me. And that is only if you haven't already fixed your bearings issue. I have a hypothesis that if the bearings are really free to rotate, the euc can feel more surefooted or secure while riding it. It should have a favorable effect. For lubricant, instead of grease, I am thinking using manual transmission lubricant or add some penetrating oil to your existing grease to make your wheel rotate more freely.

I like you to test my hypothesis for me. I have tried on both my T3 and V12, and with both cases, I believe that is what happened. I can't explain it though.

If you could, clean your axle bearing seal junction area very well first. Then spray penetrating oil into the bearings. Keep spraying until the wheel rotates freely witout mechanical drag. It doesn't need much. It could be as little as one spray.

Since you plan to clean or replace your bearings anyway to resolve your noise issue, I thought you may not mind.

24 minutes ago, techyiam said:

That is very hard to believe.  And I am not calling you a liar. By that I mean I am having a hard time understanding the content of what you are reporting.

As you know, I played with a tubeless scooter tire, and a tubetype scooter tire. And from my experience, that tubeless scooter tire was super stiff. Putting on was no walk in the park. Or to take off. Mind you, the tubetype scooter tire was only a bit easier. In any case, after mounting, that tubeless tire was already pretty firm without air. Inflate to 10 psi, and it was quite hard. I could ride on it. At 10 psi, in comparison, was pretty much un-inflated for the CST-1488. 

If you don't mind, I like you to verify something for me. And that is only if you haven't already fixed your bearings issue. I have a hypothesis that if the bearings are really free to rotate, the euc can feel more surefooted or secure while riding it. It should have a favorable effect. For lubricant, instead of grease, I am thinking using manual transmission lubricant or add some penetrating oil to your existing grease to make your wheel rotate more freely.

I like you to test my hypothesis for me. I have tried on both my T3 and V12, and with both cases, I believe that is what happened. I can't explain it though.

If you could, clean your axle bearing seal junction area very well first. Then spray penetrating oil into the bearings. Keep spraying until the wheel rotates freely witout mechanical drag. It doesn't need much. It could be as little as one spray.

Since you plan to clean or replace your bearings anyway to resolve your noise issue, I thought you may not mind.

Maybe K66 rubber is "softer" :D  At 28psi i can little bit press in the middle of tire with my fingers. (After press fingers hurt little bit..) Maybe because my weight M/C tires work better for me. I'm just saying how it is for me.

I didn't have any bearing drag or anything. Simply "clicking" noise while riding. (They spin freely.) Only thing as "spray" i got WD-40 that will ruin all the grease.. (After longer inspection i have started to think that bearings are not at fault even.. Maybe loose magnet, or something in motor.) Because the noise is so specific only when riding front forwards and leaning right.. Riding mud flap front, leaning left/right - no noise at all. Also when "hand" spinning the wheel - noise comes more when spinning one way.. (And while hand spinning the noise sometimes stop completely..) Need to open the motor and see what's going on.

I think the "bearings are really free to rotate" only applies to bikes, etc, where you need to power it. EUC does all the hard work, so you don't really feel the bearing drag.. But ofc it's better when bearing spin freely as they can. - Less heat, wear, so on..

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Maybe because my weight M/C tires work better for me. I'm just saying how it is for me.

Thank you for contemplating about it. I fully understand that it is what you observed for you. It's odd, but it is what it is. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

After longer inspection i have started to think that bearings are not at fault even

Since this is the case, then you won't want to do this. Thank you for your consideration anyway.

Sherman vanila V2 stock knoby kenda on 27-28 psi.

Now i have K66 try 31PSI = leg pain unstable bouncy now deflated to 28 PSI is better but continue testing expect go under 28 in future.

I recomended recalibrate EUC after tire change i was surprised how big diference in smoothnes after switch kenda to K66 calibration make.