Has anyone tried a tire insert with a small/medium EUC?

Student4Life

I tried Slime, it was ineffectual, and now I'm using Armordilloz which does buy some time.  But I wonder if a foam insert would do more good.  Like Tube Defender from flattiredefender.com, or cut up an Armour Insert from Tannus (those aren't near my tire size). 

• Like 1

interesting... I'm VERY particular about ride quality. I wonder how tough it is to get something like these noodles in a tire, and it not suffer imbalance or bumps? I still have flashbakcs of hurting myself and bending rims when they came out with solid bicycle tire inserts..... I'd like to see what happens to an open cell foam in a tire, after it goes thru a few hundred miles of compression cycles.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm trying the Tannus Armor.  I picked this because I blew another tube at 200 more miles, this time a pinch puncture cut by the rim.  Mr. Tuffy wouldn't have saved me from that, I wanted some cushion around the tube.  Feel free to prompt me for how it's holding up, I've been putting about 130 miles/month on my tire.

Initial observations: 

• I lost nearly 10% of my range, so 24 is now 22 miles.
  • I tried 25psi tire pressure that Tannus recommended, and the cornering is wobbly.  I'm running 30psi now and I'm still adjusting.
  • Tannus has some odd recommendations so we'll see how it holds up:
    • deflate the tube when not in use so the foam can decompress.  That's not gonna happen, this is my daily driver and I want it ready and waiting.
    • "you must use a smaller tube."  That's not happening, because of the bend in the valve stem I'm lucky to even find the normal-sized tube.
    • run the tires at a lower pressure.  Sorry, not happening, didn't corner well at speed.

• 4 weeks later...

The Tannus Armor is working great, I've only put maybe 150 miles on it but I've ridden it hard and taken a lot of bumps from sidewalks and curbs, and been exposed to usual road hazards, all during daily commuting.  I'm pressuring it hard at 35-45psi so it's firm, below 30psi it's not as responsive (I feel like the unicycle rolls side-to-side under me).  If the cushion is compressing then I guess I just get less protection...

Meanwhile, Mr. Tuffy has been working well for a few months in a mountain bike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I found something!  After another disappointment with inserts, I made another desperate sealant product purchase, one that's specifically formulated (or at least marketed) for tubes.  And it seems to be holding way better than Slime or Armordilloz; those may work for tires but not for tubes, they just get me home. 

The product is Muc-Off Inner Tube Sealant (SKU 20216).  I put it in after a pinch-puncture (yes in spite of the Tannus armor), and it's been holding pressure for weeks now.

• Like 1