Fully geared up but still got injured

I guess I'm mentioning this just as a cautionary tale.  I was practicing how to ride down stairs.  Because I know it's difficult (for me), I was fully geared up: full face helmet, padded motorcycle jacket, padded butt protector, padded motorcycle pants, wrist guards, shin guards (front and back), steel toed shoes.   Nonetheless, after a couple of hours of practice, I still got injured in a way that I didn't think about before --- on one practice run, I lost my balance and my foot landed in an awkward way that twisted my knee.  I don't know if i tore or sprained my acl or mcl, since those haven't happened to me before.  But I'm walking with a limp.

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear. I’ve had both surgeries, twisted knee just stepping over a baby gate and my knee didn’t twist when I tried to swivel my foot, crazy. Ice knee as much as possible first 24 hrs. Afterwards if knee is just generally sore, then tear is unlikely but if you feel sharp pain while walking and you will feel it, then have checked by a Dr or orthopedic surgeon. Good luck. Oh, and I’m no doctor so take this as general guidance.

Edited by UtahRider
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, UtahRider said:

Sorry to hear. I’ve had both surgeries, twisted knee just stepping over a baby gate and my knee didn’t twist when I tried to swivel my foot, crazy. Ice knee as much as possible first 24 hrs. Afterwards if knee is just generally sore, then tear is unlikely but if you feel sharp pain while walking and you will feel it, then have checked by a Dr or orthopedic surgeon. Good luck. Oh, and I’m no doctor so take this as general guidance.

ok thanks and sorry about your injury.  In my case, the pain is along the left side of my left lower leg (the outside part), between the shin and the calf.  The knee itself doesn't hurt and is not swelling.  I don't feel any swelling but it feels like a similar soreness from a hyperextended limb.  is that what it's like?  the closest experience i've had is a long time ago, i was getting on a ski lift and one ski snagged on the snow, which applied a lot of twisting pressure to my knee.  i'm double jointed, so maybe that's what saved me from a worse injury.

Mine was fairly sharp pain, enough that I couldn’t run and could only walk about half mile before I had to rest and ice it. I waited about a year to where I couldn’t even stand for 15 mins before I finally got surgery. Key is to ice it first 24 hrs.

• Like 1

@Tawpie thanks buddy! Funny, i was so worried about falling and getting a bad scrape.  i didn't even consider the possibility of twisting limbs. haha    FWIW, I was able to ride home.  But i don't think i could ride off-road right now.

9 minutes ago, UtahRider said:

Mine was fairly sharp pain,

i see.  is the pain on the knee itself, or on some other part of your leg?  My knee feels no pain. if a doctor said he needed to hit it with a hammer to test my reflexes, i wouldn't wince.

• Like 1

ouch, sorry to hear that. Yeah, most my injuries of worthy mention, are to joints. Not the kind you smoke, the kind you bend. Wrists, ankles and knees, seem to take a beating from time to time. Not too much on an euc lately, but over a lifetime, its been many. Not much to do for protecting those things, cept for wearing cumbersome shoes and wrist guards. Im sure theres knee braces, but the list of gear gets big fast. My wrists are pretty bad shape anymore, so I've begun to wear compression type bands on them if Im doing something I KNOW will aggravate. I've seen similar for knees. Sounds to me like its not the kneee so much as support muscle around it? Again, I'm no doc, but this doesnt sound as bad as could be. Hell, I cant hardly tolerate offroad riding on my healthy limbs, let alone a pulled leg muscle. Im a simple man. If it simply hurts like a mofo but stilll seems to work a little, I just let time attend to it. If it hurts like a mofo with SHARP pain and its completely unuseable, I start thinking about a doctor. I like to wait as long as possible tho, as gambling with a doctor isnt my style. If you wait too long for the doctor to do much, its kind of a solution in itself anyhow...

Hopefully yours doesnt wind up too bad in the healing. If its still weak once its fully healed, you may look for something to brace it. Im no doc, but compression bracing works for me, even tho it doesnt restrict mobility much. I dont understand HOW it could be doing much, but it does. Get well soon and be patient...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

ouch, sorry to hear that. Yeah, most my injuries of worthy mention, are to joints. Not the kind you smoke, the kind you bend. Wrists, ankles and knees, seem to take a beating from time to time. Not too much on an euc lately, but over a lifetime, its been many. Not much to do for protecting those things, cept for wearing cumbersome shoes and wrist guards

Thanks it seems that when I put weight on the ball of the foot, it makes the muscle on the side of my calf hurt.  I did get knee braces and they seem to help noticeably:  https://amzn.to/3Oi8D6a  And the pain seems to be decreasing each day, although it's a bit painful to mount and dismount.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

it's a bit painful to mount and dismount.

Take it easy, you don't want to get the tendons or nerves angry (inflamed). Let things heal up—it sounds like time is working its magic already.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Take it easy, you don't want to get the tendons or nerves angry (inflamed). Let things heal up—it sounds like time is working its magic already.

"Time" is the doctor I trust the most.....:thumbup:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Uhuh the tricky part is that I'm under pressure to finish a video this weekend. :efee96588e::D

I'm surprised that knee ligament tears don't happen more often with EUCs. Especially now with the spiked pedals and aggressive/snug power pads.

Thanks for the cautionary tale. I just got my teeth fixed yesterday after smashing them out 7 months ago when not wearing a full face helmet.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Esash said:

I'm surprised that knee ligament tears don't happen more often with EUCs. Especially now with the spiked pedals and aggressive/snug power pads.

Thanks for the cautionary tale. I just got my teeth fixed yesterday after smashing them out 7 months ago when not wearing a full face helmet.

Ouch how fast were you going when ya face planted ?

4 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Ouch how fast were you going when ya face planted ?

about 3 mph down a steep snowy street hill. I thought my arms would hold strong but they slipped out, either from the snow or my lack of upper body strength. My mistake was not turning my head to the side to protect my teeth/jaw.