New Wheel, Dead Charger (Gotway 18")

It's here!! My wheel arrived this morning.

It had a 2 pin plug with it (rather than the safe 3 pin plug we use here in the UK) so I put an adapter on it & turned the power on. There was a clunk, it felt like something hit the inside of the power pack & I detected a slight burning smell.

The light on the power pack won't come on & it isn't charging when I connect it. I only have 2 battery lights on the wheel (although it did flick onto one before I switched it off).

I have emailed Jane asking for help/advice/a new charger.

Is there anything else I can do as I can't wait to start riding?

Extremely disappointing. I can't blame anyone for it as it could have happened at any point between the factory & arriving here but I hope I can be sent a working charger as quickly as possible.

I'm just waiting for Jane to get back to me.

I was wondering whether I could just chop off the wire that goes into the charging port & attach it to a different power pack but I would prefer to use the correct equipment so my wheel doesn't get damaged.

Is this anything to do with voltage differences in UK and China? That adapter you used, is it a step up or step down kind or just a plug converter from 2 pin to 3 pin?

Why don't you take the charger picture with all it's labels like volts/watts/input/output etc and shop online or in store in UK while waiting from Jane? 

All this tells me to keep my cheapo Tg-F3 as a backup even after I get a Ninebot or a Firewheel. I can not imagine sitting idle without a wheel. Originally I thought of selling off my Tg-F3 when I upgrade to a new better EUC.

O man; Why they not can check items befor packing. It sucks!

QC does not exists.

Maybe Kevin does a better job befor shipping?

But this only work if he ship it and not the factory ship it direct to you.

The third pin is ground and not nessesary.

Just use it as a european plug with a 2 pin european adapter.

If you have another GW or any other 67V EU charger, you can use them usually (check voltage at the charger...or was it 69V).

I thought the third pin stopped people from dying when they make mistakes. Two pin plugs do work & I have used the adapter before so know it wasn't that.

I have emailed Jane & requested a 3 pin plug on the replacement charger. If not, then I will have to attach one myself.

Strangelyi plugged in my mten2 today for the first time today using a 2 to 3 pin convertor and after a few secs it also clicked and turned off with no lights etc, I figured it was the adapter so just cut the two pin off and wired into a new plug and it's happy days all working! You may wanna try before getting any more adapters!

I think Jane is on the case. She requested a video of the charger not working so I have sent one. I can't see any reason why she would need it if she wasn't going to send a working charger.

I'm hoping she can get them to pack a luggage handle & some padding too as it was in my original order but never came.

On a side note - do EU's usually come with manuals? Mine (confusingly) came with lots of blank A4 pieces of paper, the charger & the wheel. Nothing else. I was wondering if it should have had a booklet or something inside?

My wheel came with:

Warranty Sheet

It has the QC stamp, Serial number w/barcode, a place to write your distributor info, customer info, and service record, and warranty sheet.

Quick Start Manual

Fold out, detailed, poster on how to get started riding, what certain lights mean, how to change battery, add accessories, and safety tips.

Specification Sheet

Specs for the Ninebot One C+ and E+ (newest models)

All are in both Chinese and English. They used nice paper too.  ;)

I don't understand what you mean you turned on after you plugged in charger. You do not need to turn on anything, if you attached the charger to wheel then plug charger into wall outlet, the charger will start to do its thing. Did you turn on wheel after you just attached charger?

I didn't even connect the charger to the wheel. I just plugged it into the wall & it didn't work. Jane is sending me a new one thankfully.

When I asked for a manual, padding & luggage handle to be sent with it (that was missing from the first shipment) she said no, she's just sending the charger. A bit disappointing but better than nothing.

Yeah but sometimes stuff is sent as two shipments for either of two reasons. A- They didn't really have those particular items in stock and have to order them for themselves to fulfill your order. B-Items are kept in different warehouses and therefore fulfilled by different people. Either that or you've just been ripped off. Whoever it is you ordered from, buyers beware.

Why didn't you try plugging the charger into the wheel? The fan doesn't spin up when it's not charging and it could just be the led light not working on the one you've got.

When my two wheels arrived one of the chargers was fine but the fan didn't work on the other. As I was impatient to get them charged I plugged them both in and stood them back to back so the exit air from one blew through the other.

Strangely after an hour or so of charging the dud fan started working but very noisily.

Did you pay for a handle? I got the impression she threw one in for me because I had added the M10 to the order but to be honest I haven't fitted it as I prefer the look without it and the handle is high enough to use to wheel it, powered on, across the one or two very busy junctions that I don't ride across.

My main problem is that I have a record of our emails to & from each other & I know it was agreed that I will get a potentiometer, the latest wheel, padding & a luggage handle.

I paid on April 9th, had to constantly nag for about a month & then got less than I expected.

I know lots of people that have become interested in joining the EU community, I would have recommended the way I got mine but can't when I know there are better/more accommodating routes out there.

Expect a big influx of people ordering off Kevin lol.

Why didn't you try plugging the charger into the wheel? The fan doesn't spin up when it's not charging and it could just be the led light not working on the one you've got.

When my two wheels arrived one of the chargers was fine but the fan didn't work on the other. As I was impatient to get them charged I plugged them both in and stood them back to back so the exit air from one blew through the other.

Strangely after an hour or so of charging the dud fan started working but very noisily.

Did you pay for a handle? I got the impression she threw one in for me because I had added the M10 to the order but to be honest I haven't fitted it as I prefer the look without it and the handle is high enough to use to wheel it, powered on, across the one or two very busy junctions that I don't ride across.

I was under the impression that I was paying for a luggage handle, potentiometer & padding as that's what I wrote in my original order. I didn't mention receiving a manual because I assumed that would go without saying.

I'm just itching to use it, have waited over a month now & don't want to risk having my first attempt on such a low battery.

Archived