Cooling mod recap EX EXN and more...

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2022 at 1:53 AM, EMA said:

done the mod on the Commander too, now it's the coolest wheel :lol:

the first time i rode it: https://euc.world/tour/611322785536025
now -20°C : https://euc.world/tour/611769918419015

image.jpeg.4bc4171670f2c0d48f55e4a54933005b.jpeg

Could you please share more pics or STL files?

• this is latest batch wheel with 2 fans, i removed both
  • i've cut 2 windows, front and rear same size, they could be smaller but i want the best cooling
  • moved the BT module on the left-back side (need to extend bt power cable, no need for speakers cable)
  • used two 12v fans, less powerfull and less noisy compared to stock
  • fan 1 is connected to usb port, runs slower with 5v all the time ( barely udible if you are close the wheel )
  • fan 2 is connected to fan port, start around 45°C while moving

• temperature drop is -20°C :D
  • wheel is super silent
  • added lift switch
  • added mudguard not in the pictures

yesterday was 27-25 °C outside : https://euc.world/tour/611864399490360

IMG_20220713_181854.jpg

IMG_20220713_181902.jpg

IMG_20220713_182239.jpg

IMG_20220713_182243.jpg

IMG_20220713_182717.jpg

IMG_20220714_195036.jpg

• Like 1

Firstly, thank you for your detailed answer!

Some questions for you, If is possible to you to answer, please, after telling you about my mods

1. I have removed the Bluetooth board and the speakers, and printed some vented grilles, to add more air flow exhaust, I have removed from the front light and back, the upper ribs, also i perforate additional holes on the front and back.

2. I will replace the silicon pad with ceramic pads + a little of MX4 paste, on both sides for the mosfets

3. I am thinking about to buying this M.2 cooler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827PM9VR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but I believe the fan is 12v, so maybe will be replaced with similar one, but 5v, It will be mounted where the BT module was removed, to add some cooling over the aluminium plate, What do you think about this addition, maybe useless?

4. I am planing to replace the front fan with two of 12v, like you (Maybe keep the side fan.)

So my questions are:

1. What is the color or colors of the 2 pin ports of 12v, 5v? 

2. Do you think the board or secondary board will support my configuration? Two 12v front fans, (1 on 12v fan port, & 1 on some 5v port), the stock side fan (5v), and additional 12 or 5v fan for the M.2 cooler (if it is used)

3. How did you mount the side by side 2 front fans? You fixed them with silicon, or you made dedicated support for them on the aluminium base?  

Thanks in advance, sorry I have no pics yet, I will post some later tomorrow, today is holly day in my country

Cheers!

19 minutes ago, Mauricio said:

Firstly, thank you for your detailed answer!

Some questions for you, If is possible to you to answer, please, after telling you about my mods

1. I have removed the Bluetooth board and the speakers, and printed some vented grilles, to add more air flow exhaust, I have removed from the front light and back, the upper ribs, also i perforate additional holes on the front and back.

so you have done holes on front light and also between the ribs like me ?

2. I will replace the silicon pad with ceramic pads + a little of MX4 paste, on both sides for the mosfets

this could be good, but i never done it, don't know how much could be effective

3. I am thinking about to buying this M.2 cooler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827PM9VR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but I believe the fan is 12v, so maybe will be replaced with similar one, but 5v, It will be mounted where the BT module was removed, to add some cooling over the aluminium plate, What do you think about this addition, maybe useless?

useless for sure, you don't have lot of space also

4. I am planing to replace the front fan with two of 12v, like you (Maybe keep the side fan.)

my fans are placed on top of the heatsink, easy as the pictures

So my questions are:

1. What is the color or colors of the 2 pin ports of 12v, 5v? 

12v fan port il blue, it's used by the stock front fan (the one that blows below the heatsink)
5v port is black (usb port), it's used by the 4010 side fan, useless becouse there's not fresh air for it and the hole is too little 

DOUBLE CHECK THE POLARITY OF THE FAN CONNECTOR, use stock fan as reference, i always need to swap +/- on my fans

2. Do you think the board or secondary board will support my configuration? Two 12v front fans, (1 on 12v fan port, & 1 on some 5v port), the stock side fan (5v), and additional 12 or 5v fan for the M.2 cooler (if it is used)

stock fan is rated 0.5 amp, don't go over that, you don't need to

3. How did you mount the side by side 2 front fans? You fixed them with silicon, or you made dedicated support for them on the aluminium base?  

little piece of double side tape

Thanks in advance, sorry I have no pics yet, I will post some later tomorrow, today is holly day in my country

Cheers!

:)

Thank you soo much!

48 minutes ago, EMA said:

my fans are placed on top of the heatsink, easy as the pictures

So yo place your 2 fans like in this pic?

Merbt4Dvoo.jpg

3 minutes ago, EMA said:

exactly as my picture, you can't place them like yours , no space

Untitled.jpg

The primary does not obliterate the secondary, when activated?

2 hours ago, Mauricio said:

The primary does not obliterate the secondary, when activated?

it just increase the air flow when you are above 45°C, it's not the best place but there's no other space to place it :D

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, EMA said:

it just increase the air flow when you are above 45°C, it's not the best place but there's no other space to place it :D

What about, replacing the original one with two, side by side, in the stock position, and removing the side one? with the same fans and configuration used by you?

1 hour ago, Mauricio said:

What about, replacing the original one with two, side by side, in the stock position, and removing the side one? with the same fans and configuration used by you?

the big difference is that stock position will push the air below the heatsink, my cut let fresh air go directly to the board and this is way more effective (air can go also below the heatsink)

if you have removed the BT module the best way is to put the fan right in front of the board, stock position it is also really tricky becouse the space is tight, really hard to do .

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, EMA said:

the big difference is that stock position will push the air below the heatsink, my cut let fresh air go directly to the board and this is way more effective (air can go also below the heatsink)

if you have removed the BT module the best way is to put the fan right in front of the board, stock position it is also really tricky becouse the space is tight, really hard to do .

Ok, thanks, I understand, my only concern is, the ingress of water on those huge cuts directly to the electronics, here rains a lot, my internal cuts are only above the stock fan and behind the taillight/speakers and external cuts at the front and below rear speakers.

How do you prevent dust and water ingress?

I would like to share with you a possible solution, this printed hood scoop was posted for an owner of a Commander, in a Facebook group, but he did not share the STL, I found it on Thingiverse, Maybe will needs some modifications, my brother designs with CAD/CAM software, and is an enthusiast of 3D printing, even though he only prints things for his RC cars, I will ask him for this, and share.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1101884

Edited by Mauricio

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, Mauricio said:

How do you prevent dust and water ingress?

dusti is not a problem at all

not easy for water to get in, i've covered the back of the wheel and plan to do the same in front (need to find a solution for power button) i always have a bag cover for unexpected situations

btw there's a solution if you do not want a big window like mine you need to use the lights hole below but you'll not get the same amount of air

In case you would like to print, here are the STL files of different options of rear vent; passive one, and with mounting rack for two vents

Rear vented pasive cooling grille jet.stl Rear grille with duct and 2 fan mounting.stl

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mauricio said:

In case you would like to print, here are the STL files of different options of rear vent; passive one, and with mounting rack for two vents

Rear vented pasive cooling grille jet.stl 2.06 MB · 2 downloads Rear grille with duct and 2 fan mounting.stl 680.94 kB · 2 downloads

tnx, i covered the top part 

Untitled.jpg

On 8/6/2022 at 10:31 AM, EMA said:

Hi, I have modified a little the STL, and added a cap, Would you mind If I share it on Thingiverse?

20220812_081220.jpg

6 hours ago, Mauricio said:

Hi, I have modified a little the STL, and added a cap, Would you mind If I share it on Thingiverse?

20220812_081220.jpg

share it no problem, that's my intention too :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Ema.. question.. i purchased the fan listed below. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RP14KML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connected it to the blue port drove around my block for several minutes and the fan never started.. could it be a compatibility issue or a broken fan? not sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subliminalpain said:

Hi Ema.. question.. i purchased the fan listed below. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RP14KML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connected it to the blue port drove around my block for several minutes and the fan never started.. could it be a compatibility issue or a broken fan? not sure. 

what wheel and temperature ? usually the board will make the fan spin a bit when powering on the wheel

did you test the fan before mounting it ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Wheel that am working with is the Commander. Figured i can mount this fan above the capacitors and drill a hole out the back to get some of the heat out of the case since it has nowhere to escape and just accumulates in there.  

I believe i have a first gen Commander because it only has one fan. In hot days and going up hills my temp can hit 170 easy. 

I did not test the fan that i purchased but have another coming in this week to try. figured maybe the amps were off or maybe the voltage was too high to be supported by the board. 

• Like 1