tire load rating and heavy riders, any concerns?

Doug Hnut

is there any concerns about overloading a tire?. example: my riding weight with all gear and backpack/charger is 200lb. a sherman max weights about 86lb. the max load rating on the kenda 262 is 267lb. this sounds like a problem, no? i know it hasn't been a problem for my weight including many others, but i noticed the max payload of a sherman max is listed at 330lb. thats almost 150lb over the 35P(267lb) load rating. this could be a problem in a accident. also noticed lot of ppl including myself set the tire pressure higher than the max recommend 

• Like 1

Compared to me, you are "light" :D (Cries depressedly).

I weight 127kg and my euc weight 25.5kg (Add gear) - That's ~155kg and my original CST-1488 tire was rated "90kg". Didn't really have any problems. Doh was little bit scared.. 155vs90

After 100km ridden, i changed that tire to Heidenau K66(motorcycle tire), which has J43 rating, good for ~155kg.

If you are worried about your weight - Simply get motorcycle tire.

As for tire pressure, i set mine lower than "recommended" 28-30psi. Yes i know it "lowish", i could damage rim. But i don't jump curbs and ride flat grounds. And i like that psi range. Anything over 30 psi, i get that "riding on knife edge" feeling.

Most euc are made for people around 80kg weight in mind.. :cry2:

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Compared to me, you are "light" :D (Cries depressedly).

I weight 127kg and my euc weight 25.5kg (Add gear) - That's ~155kg and my original CST-1488 tire was rated "90kg". Didn't really have any problems. Doh was little bit scared.. 155vs90

After 100km ridden, i changed that tire to Heidenau K66(motorcycle tire), which has J43 rating, good for ~155kg.

If you are worried about your weight - Simply get motorcycle tire.

As for tire pressure, i set mine lower than "recommended" 28-30psi. Yes i know it "lowish", i could damage rim. But i don't jump curbs and ride flat grounds. And i like that psi range. Anything over 30 psi, i get that "riding on knife edge" feeling.

Most euc are made for people around 80kg weight in mind.. :cry2:

you just remined me that i also have a 80/90-14 k66 tire with a 46p load rating. 170kg /375lb. also my contiscoot 80/90/14 40p 140kg/309lb. so its good to know we have safe options