V11 not powering up

Wrebit

13 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I agree, this feature in the newer units is too invasive. I read about a guy with a newer V11 who replaced the power button board with an older version from back when the V11 didn’t have this feature. And it worked, he could then operate the power button with gloves.

Unfortunately getting an old gen board its next to impossible. I sure as heck won’t be selling mine!

Btw, the V11 got a new firmware v1.4.22 about a week ago. Has anyone tested if the feature remains with the new firmware? Just in case…

No luck, even with firmware v1.4.22

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just got mine so total noob here, but i was having the same problem until i realized that it won’t turn on if its on the kickstand because it tries to balance automatically. So hold it upright before pushing the power button :D

16 hours ago, Tr1LL said:

I just got mine so total noob here, but i was having the same problem until i realized that it won’t turn on if its on the kickstand because it tries to balance automatically. So hold it upright before pushing the power button :D

The power on refused on kickstand is normal, we are not talking about this, I think that after the first day of owning everybody has learnt this condition (the same as you).
Wear a pair of gloves and you're not be able to power on your V11, even if it is standing upright.

I communicated with the manufacturer, and we tracked down the problem. If you get the same answers as I did, you should replace the headlight assembly as the problem is with the power button.

When the device is lying on its side, does the wheel spin freely?
YES

Can the device be turned on while charging?
NO

Can the Inmotion app connect to the device while it is charging?
YES

Can the headlight be turned on when the device is charging?
YES

Are there error messages in the app?
NO

Did the diagnostics find any problems?
NO

I personally won't replace it yet because it costs around $150 (€140). I will replace this part when my device does not turn on anymore. Until then I can live with this problem.

The manufacturer assured me that the V11 power button is touch sensitive for security reasons and there is no way to turn it off. This device cannot be switched on while wearing gloves or full finger wrist guards. My problem is that sometimes even without gloves or with the half finger wrist guards the V11 won't turn on. In my case the solution is to buy a new headlight assembly.

I've also had more problems when it's cold or wet, I guess mostly due to sensor not working consistently in less than optimal weather, but cold and dry skin may also add to the problem. Annoying but usually works after just a couple of tries.

Edited by jjll
  • Upvote 1

The same for me, and I can confirm that umidity and low temperatures increase the probability that I'll not be able to power on my V11 (even without gloves)
As a workaround, after pressed the power button (and EUC refuses to power on) bluetooth connection is alive, if I connect my phone in this moment, then it will power on at the next press of power button, but I can't make a rule on this.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also was pissed off about this. Especially since it happened right after someone hit me (and it was raining), and I switched off the wheel and then it would not turn on again so I thought it was broken. Turns out the capacity sensor is not happy about water seeping in. Once all dry, no issue anymore (well, if you're not wearing gloves as described above).

Solution: a piece of waterproof duct tape covering the sensor + 1/2" around - the capacitive sensor will still work through the tape, and no water can seep in. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Wolverine said:

My V11 is working again as it should, and I am happy about it. I hope that this information is helpful to someone.

Gratz on getting the v11 back in action, thanks for the detailed pictures and description. I definitely will check mine.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I experienced the problem of the V11 failing to turn on after riding in the rain to dinner to celebrate the end of the school year with my family. The next morning, my V11 turned on without a problem. 

I like the idea of a piece of waterproof tape covering the button area and will give it a try. 

I was worried about crashing on my V11 as this was the first time I rode it in the rain and had no problems at all. Then, when the V11 wouldn't turn on I experienced a completely different kind of "crash". I'm upset with InMotion for thinking this was an acceptable design feature. 

At some point Inmotion changed the power button mechanics and behavior to a stupid one that needs to recognize skin contact in order to function. Lots of water might disturb it’s operation, just like on a touchscreen of a phone.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

At some point Inmotion changed the power button mechanics and behavior to a stupid one that needs to recognize skin contact in order to function. Lots of water might disturb it’s operation, just like on a touchscreen of a phone.

That has to be one of the dumbest changes. I ride with gloves on all the time! Very glad I have the older power button, hopefully I never have to replace it…….

• Upvote 1

you can differentiate the new power button by its texture (with some spots on top) and some times its temperature feels different to the plastic around since it is metal. It has some kind of capacitive sensor that was added to prevent accidental activation cases (i.e. while storing the EUC behind the copilot seat on a car, and the motor turns on destroying the carpet).
If you cannot power your V11 with your fingertip, just bend the finger and use a phalange to press the button. Usually that solves the issue. ;)

• 5 months later...

Just received a brand new V11 and had the same issues.

Does not power on if you press the finger flat on the button, especially the thumb. But works 100% if you press with the nail, or press only one corner of the button.. really weird

• 1 month later...

This (HEAT SENSE POWER SWITCH) is a major design flaw that ruins the value of my V11.  I'm so angry about this issue because it completely ruins the wheel for its intended use-case (sitting in the car through winter for short rides, MD winters are rarely below freezing).  

BECAUSE OF THIS I WILL NEVER AGAIN BY AN INMOTION WHEEL

And its so ill-thought-out that the wheel won't even power off.  Power it up in a 10 C or 50 F garage, ride it outside where its 1 or 2 C or 35 F and it just won't power off at all.  Has to be tipped over and left to power itself down sometime later.  

I am an engineer and this is the worst kind of beauracracy over the integrety of engineering.  

Anyone here want my V11?  I'm near Baltimore.  I paid $750 for it but thaks to this I'd let it go now for $400.  My S1 e+ is more useful. 

Edited by Elliott Reitz

47 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

This (HEAT SENSE POWER SWITCH) is a major design flaw that ruins the value of my V11.  I'm so angry about this issue because it completely ruins the wheel for its intended use-case (sitting in the car through winter for short rides, MD winters are rarely below freezing).  

BECAUSE OF THIS I WILL NEVER AGAIN BY AN INMOTION WHEEL

And its so ill-thought-out that the wheel won't even power off.  Power it up in a 10 C or 50 F garage, ride it outside where its 1 or 2 C or 35 F and it just won't power off at all.  Has to be tipped over and left to power itself down sometime later.  

I am an engineer and this is the worst kind of beauracracy over the integrety of engineering.  

Anyone here want my V11?  I'm near Baltimore.  I paid $750 for it but thaks to this I'd let it go now for $400.  My S1 e+ is more useful. 

Scratch your balls.

Hand gets warmed up from scratching your balls.

Power off the wheel.

???

Great success. 

If you can't think a work around - you aren't an engineer. Good day sir!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUJXPRQmo2zmcPlZMi2rO

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Funky said:

Scratch your balls.

Hand gets warmed up from scratching your balls.

Power off the wheel.

???

Great success. 

If you can't think a work around - you aren't an engineer. Good day sir!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUJXPRQmo2zmcPlZMi2rO

LMAO, I like that one.  It works better than what I've tried too.  I thought of stick-on toe warmers.  And I tried a heating pad (won't work through the warm pad either).  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

LMAO, I like that one.  It works better than what I've tried too.  I thought of stick-on toe warmers.  And I tried a heating pad (won't work through the warm pad either).  

If you smoke.. You could also burn the switch with lighter lil bit. - It gets warm and ready to be turned off. (That's what she said.)

Just be careful not to warm her for to long, or things will get smoky. :efef77eaf5:

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1