Is it difficult to make an EU to "coast" when the power fails?

Planetpapi

Apparently all "face plants" are results of power fails. So that makes me think, there should be a way to make EU still rolling WITH gyro powered by back up battery. Since gyro is only to make things upright , it might not need a primary battery. Does this technology work that way? Or can it have a small back up battery just to kick in when main power quits, just for few seconds so we can stop safely without face plants.

Segway must have something like that. We never heard of Segway related face plants.

The only way that the gyro can keep the wheel upright is through sheer power applied to the motor. It has no mystical ability to keep balance without using the motor.

If you are slowing down because of the warnings it will be fine. If you are continuing to lean forward when you have reached the limit of the motor power what more can you expect it to do?

Understood now.

.But couple of members here noted that they started from stand still to move forward and then mysteriously face planted. 

On the other hand, can 2 separate batteries power the motor alternatively ( but continuously) ? If one fails the other one comes in the same split second? Is that feasible?

That is where specifying the largest battery available on any euc you order can help. You dont need a second battery. More power reserve equals more difficulty in out leaning the euc. Unfortunately people being what they are will always push the boundaries and will then have accidents at even higher speeds.

The only EU I have ever heard of that would actually use up all the battery power that it has and throw its user is the Solowheel.  All others that I have heard of generally stop you from using it further when the battery gets below 25-30%.  As the EUs use Lithium batteries draining them dry would damages the battery.  Although the EUs will not move forward anymore you can still stand upright on them for a long time as power would still be available to power the gyroscope, if you where so inclined to keep doing so.

It's not the amount of power that the battery has that is the problem but the speed it can put that power out because of its own internal resistance!

The only EU I have ever heard of that would actually use up all the battery power that it has and throw its user is the Solowheel.  All others that I have heard of generally stop you from using it further when the battery gets below 25-30%.  As the EUs use Lithium batteries draining them dry would damages the battery.  Although the EUs will not move forward anymore you can still stand upright on them for a long time as power would still be available to power the gyroscope, if you where so inclined to keep doing so.

I am not sure what you mean.

The Solowheel will start being RED by the time the battery is almost completey empty. You can go on for about 500 meters or so with the red light.

Then it will start to vibrate heavily and force you to dismount. ONLY after that, it will shut down.

When the SW is vibrating, you will not be able to keep riding. If you still try to do it then and just ignore all these red flags, only then you will fall.

I am not sure what you mean.

The Solowheel will start being RED by the time the battery is almost completey empty. You can go on for about 500 meters or so with the red light.

Then it will start to vibrate heavily and force you to dismount. ONLY after that, it will shut down.

When the SW is vibrating, you will not be able to keep riding. If you still try to do it then and just ignore all these red flags, only then you will fall.

Exactly as I said.  Solowheels will allow you to keep riding regardless of critical battery level and once done with throw you off as it shuts down, understand that it sends out "Red Flags" as you say but with regards to the topic of this thread Solowheels are the only EU that will allow you to keep riding until you "Face Plant".

Every other EU will stop allowing you to move forward when the battery level goes critical usually at around 25-30% but will still remain powered on to keep the gyroscope functioning so you don't "Face Plant".

However upon reading PlanetPapi original post again he mention power failure, but I only addressed if battery levels run dry but not addressed sudden power failure due to component or wiring failure.  In that case a backup power supply as he mentioned would be useful.  

As power failure is usually due to too great a demand being put on the motor or more rarely a problem with the control board a separate extra battery would be very unlikely to help. However as long as the control board is able to handle the amps bigger batteries are more capable of delivering them which helps to keep everything working in times of high demand.

No system will ever be infallible! :)

Anyways for the title topic, only way to coast without power is with a second wheel, bike style...., but you can faceplant with it on and full battery, all you have to do is lean forward too fast, and the unit can't keep up, will pivot you down...

• 5 months later...

G,

There is a reason why these are called "impossible wheels"!

When I was MUCH younger I tried this at a a well know juggling club and know it is impossible, at least for me, a very skilled normal and giraffe peddle uni old guy.

With your E UNIs, and my peddle, the gyro, my legs, have control of the wheels rotation movement, unlike the impossible making ALL the difference!

Talk about wanting and wearing full protection, the impossible demands it. Even still, OUCH!

I was bummmed I could not get at least a little bit but gave up, as was tired and frustrated!

Thanks for the memories I think?

UKJ

On 6 мая 2015 г., 17:39:40, Planetpapi said:

Apparently all "face plants" are results of power fails. So that makes me think, there should be a way to make EU still rolling WITH gyro powered by back up battery. Since gyro is only to make things upright , it might not need a primary battery. Does this technology work that way? Or can it have a small back up battery just to kick in when main power quits, just for few seconds so we can stop safely without face plants.

Segway must have something like that. We never heard of Segway related face plants.

No sense or need in a separate battery to prevent cut outs associated with running out of battery power, if one disregards the low battery signs and pushes the limit of the main battery, one will do the same and will push the limit of the back up battery as well u til cut out. 

Another way to think about it is you already have several batteries connected to each other in your wheel. When the battery indicates low it virtually means your main batteries have run out and you are running on your back up battery

On 7 May 2015 at 10:16:08, Chuts said:

Exactly as I said.  Solowheels will allow you to keep riding regardless of critical battery level and once done with throw you off as it shuts down, understand that it sends out "Red Flags" as you say but with regards to the topic of this thread Solowheels are the only EU that will allow you to keep riding until you "Face Plant".

Every other EU will stop allowing you to move forward when the battery level goes critical usually at around 25-30% but will still remain powered on to keep the gyroscope functioning so you don't "Face Plant".

However upon reading PlanetPapi original post again he mention power failure, but I only addressed if battery levels run dry but not addressed sudden power failure due to component or wiring failure.  In that case a backup power supply as he mentioned would be useful.  

Believe me the tilt back slow down and vibration is almost impossible to ride, certainly no faceplanting with the Solowheel xtreme.

On 5/6/2015, 11:39:40, Planetpapi said:

show how to faceplant with a Segway and that there are quite a few reasons to faceplant with a Segway, not only (but also) lack of power. 

Haha...most of them if not all, are from "operator error". I don't think they are due to equipment malfunctions. Because of 2 wheels and dual batteries, it is easy to build safety mechanism into design...my opinion only anyway.

20 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

Haha...most of them if not all, are from "operator error". I don't think they are due to equipment malfunctions. Because of 2 wheels and dual batteries, it is easy to build safety mechanism into design...my opinion only anyway.

sure, out-leaning is an operating error, just as clipping or trying to climb a curb too big to clip or climb, and all of them can easily lead to face plants, even with a Segway. 

On a more serious note: AFAICS none of the cut-outs we see on EUCs would be prevented by having two smaller batteries with the same overall capacity, or by having a second wheel. The second wheel seems even the reason for quite a few of the falls we see in the clips.

This thread should be renamed to "The fine art of Face plant".  haha funny stuff -- until it happens to you.

And it did happen to me recently, not from EU cutting out but from my mistake...

I was trying to accelerate faster than it was safe to do so on an incline. In hindsight, I was leaning forward too much. 

So... FACE PLANT!

Archived