Reviving EUCs after 5+ years of storage. What to do?

Cheburashka

Hello everyone,

I'm an early adopter of EUCs. I have a Gotway MCM4 and a Ninebot One E that I haven't touched in 6 years or so. 

Between moving, having kids, etc, I abandoned it for a while. But my son is old enough to ride an ebike with me now so I dusted them both off, charged them up, and went for a few rides on the Gotway MCM4.

It performed well and EUC World shows a 100% charge at 66.03V. I guess this means the battery is still fine and I'm good to go? I did not try riding all the way until tiltback because I didnt want to risk it. 

Besides inflating the tires and charging the battery, is there any sort of maintenance I should be doing or any other way of checking my battery health? 

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Wow, that's impressive shelf life!

Check the tires for cracks or other signs of oxidation but other than that, if the batteries are ok (keep an eye on the full charge voltage and be CERTAIN to charge to green LED plus 1-2 hours so everything gets back in balance—if you leave it on charger overnight and outdoors-just-to-be-safest, it very well might make it back to 67 volts), I'd just ride them!

• Like 1

I would store and charge those wheels with utmost caution. If they take a charge and operate normally through a few cycles you can relax a bit, but if anything seems off about how they are charging/operating keep them away from anything you don't want to go up in flames. Unfortunately leaving batteries sit that long without maintenance is a significant problem.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cheburashka said:

Gotway MCM4 and a Ninebot One E 
EUC World shows a 100% charge at 66.03V

The EUC's should reach 67.2V when the charger light turns green...
66 is close enough that the offset may be due to voltage measurement inaccuracy (harmless); or charger setpoint out-of-trim (concerning, can result in poor cell balancing). 
I recommend measuring your charger voltage (with no EUC connected). If it measures less than 67, it needs adjustment or replacement.

Aside from that, those old models don't have the pack protections that modern EUC's do, so just beware that shorting the charging port will damage internal circuits, and in general those EUC's are less durable to vibration and corrosion. And with children, supervise use and storage of the EUC- it can't be just another toy that the kid can use whenever they want. Kids won't admit to Dad that they rode it through a sprinkler...

The good news is: they're compact. Howabout a metal storage box in the garage, for peace of mind? :) 

• Like 1

I've already charged the MCM4 twice, but probably a good idea to keep it outside for a few more charge cycles.

Everything *seems* to be working nominally. I will check the charger, thanks for that tip. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1