Pedals dip forward on right turns, old firmware

Skara

I've got 150 km logged on a 9b C+ with firmware 1.2.0 and there's just a single annoyance that's been growing on me more and more: when turning right, the pedals dip forward. When turning left, they don't. It took a long time to realize that it actually happens, but it is true and makes tight right turns considerably harder. 1.2.0 also is not symmetric regarding riding forwards/backwards, but that's a smaller issue.

My questions: have other 9botters noticed this? Has this "feature" disappeared with the newer firmwares, particularly, would it disappear with 1.3.5.?

If an upgrade to 1.3.5 fixes the dip-pedals-on-right-turn, I will upgrade, despite being afraid of 9bot firmware updates. Thanks in advance for any input!

15 minutes ago, Skara said:

I've got 150 km logged on a 9b C+ with firmware 1.2.0 and there's just a single annoyance that's been growing on me more and more: when turning right, the pedals dip forward. When turning left, they don't. It took a long time to realize that it actually happens, but it is true and makes tight right turns considerably harder. 1.2.0 also is not symmetric regarding riding forwards/backwards, but that's a smaller issue.

My questions: have other 9botters noticed this? Has this "feature" disappeared with the newer firmwares, particularly, would it disappear with 1.3.5.?

If an upgrade to 1.3.5 fixes the dip-pedals-on-right-turn, I will upgrade, despite being afraid of 9bot firmware updates. Thanks in advance for any input!

Have you tried to calibrate?

Just now, SlowMo said:

Have you tried to calibrate?

No, I have not! What does it do?

Can't try right now, I've got it open to fix the battery problem pointed out by user 9bots - and I confirm I've got the exact same problem and would probably soon have been the owner of a dead 9bot without his tip. I will post a reply with pics to his thread once I've figured out how to remedy the situation... trying at the same time also to dust/waterproof the thing... leaks like a sieve, who gave them the IP65 certificate?! I wouldn't be surprised if all the issues people have had are actually due to water or some conducting material getting on the motherboard. If you just happened to upgrade the firmware prior to that then cause and effect could easily get mixed.

Here's a Q&A from Ninebot US:

Question: What can you do using the App?

Answer: The Ninedroid App puts the power of a robust control panel in the palm of your hands. Using the app you can set speed limitations, adjust sound and alarms, calibrate sensors, connect to the Ninebot using Bluetooth, check for and download firmware updates directly to the machine, track mileage, riding time, check leaderboard ranking, and use your smartphone to remotely control the Ninebot.

I haven't done it since my Ninebot got out of commission early but the experts might chime in.

Before calibrating, you launch the application and look at the 'Basic Information' panel. There you will see the pitch and roll angles of your 9B1. If, with the 9B1 in a vertical position, theses angles are not close from zero, you can calibrate.

If the calibration does not change something, your motherboard is dead (gyro).

On 21 February 2016 at 10:34 PM, Gil said:

Before calibrating, you launch the application and look at the 'Basic Information' panel. There you will see the pitch and roll angles of your 9B1. If, with the 9B1 in a vertical position, theses angles are not close from zero, you can calibrate.

If the calibration does not change something, your motherboard is dead (gyro).

@Gil Thanks. OK, finally got the wheel back together, and was able to calibrate. Result:

- Pitch angle changed slightly, and is now 0.0x when upright.

- Roll angle was -10, and still is, calibration did not change it.

@Jdestef : what is the roll angle of your unit? I started thinking that since the 9B1 constantly thinks it's rather severely tilted to the left, it could explain the unsymmetric behaviour. Not that I like the forward dip at all, but this could explain why it only happens on right turns. If the roll angle were zero, perhaps I would have a less severe dip, but on both left and right turns.

On ‎21‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 8:05 PM, Skara said:

Can't try right now, I've got it open to fix the battery problem pointed out by user 9bots - and I confirm I've got the exact same problem and would probably soon have been the owner of a dead 9bot without his tip. I will post a reply with pics to his thread once I've figured out how to remedy the situation... trying at the same time also to dust/waterproof the thing... leaks like a sieve, who gave them the IP65 certificate?! I wouldn't be surprised if all the issues people have had are actually due to water or some conducting material getting on the motherboard. If you just happened to upgrade the firmware prior to that then cause and effect could easily get mixed.

I've done some waterproofing on my ninebot last week. I've used E-profile weatherstrips (26450, white) and they fit perfectly.

To protect the battery I've glued those rubber shims/strips that I've got with a bicycle light (or bell?) With some double-sided tape to the upper and bottom corners of my battery pack.

When you are in there to improve things on your 9b1 - maybe you should mount the aluminium plate (sits below the controller) properly to the case with some screws (3-5 screws is missing). Standard PC case/Hard Drive computer screws will do. Use 6mm flat wrench on them. ;)

NuZHexScrew-BD-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Vik's said:

I've done some waterproofing on my ninebot last week. I've used E-profile weatherstrips (26450, white) and they fit perfectly.

To protect the battery I've glued those rubber shims/strips that I've got with a bicycle light (or bell?) With some double-sided tape to the upper and bottom corners of my battery pack.

When you are in there to improve things on your 9b1 - maybe you should mount the aluminium plate (sits below the controller) properly to the case with some screws (3-5 screws is missing). Standard PC case/Hard Drive computer screws will do. Use 6mm flat wrench on them. ;)

Can you put some pictures of the result?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Vik's said:

When you are in there to improve things on your 9b1 - maybe you should mount the aluminium plate (sits below the controller) properly to the case with ...

4 hours ago, Rotator said:

Can you put some pictures of the result?

Thanks for the idea regarding screws, Vik's... Pics are a good idea, but this thread subject is misleading so I'll start a new thread for "preventive maintenance". @Vik's please upload pics of your wheel with the mods there, would be nice to get maintenance pics all in one place!

On ‎23‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 6:48 PM, Skara said:

@Gil Thanks. OK, finally got the wheel back together, and was able to calibrate. Result:

- Pitch angle changed slightly, and is now 0.0x when upright.

- Roll angle was -10, and still is, calibration did not change it.

@Jdestef : what is the roll angle of your unit? I started thinking that since the 9B1 constantly thinks it's rather severely tilted to the left, it could explain the unsymmetric behaviour. Not that I like the forward dip at all, but this could explain why it only happens on right turns. If the roll angle were zero, perhaps I would have a less severe dip, but on both left and right turns.

You might be interested to take a look here: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/2444-is-this-normal-for-135/?do=findComment&comment=33705

8 hours ago, Vik's said:

Thanks, I was following that thread but thought the manual calibration was simply a way for people without a phone connection to run the calibration. Or would it do a more extensive calibration? Perhaps I should check it after all...

11 hours ago, Skara said:

Thanks, I was following that thread but thought the manual calibration was simply a way for people without a phone connection to run the calibration. Or would it do a more extensive calibration? Perhaps I should check it after all...

Using the app to Calibrate only calibrates Forward/Backward.  Doing Manual Calibration allows the wheel to balance BOTH Forward/Backwards, AND Left/Right.  I've posted a How To Video over here:

Archived