faceplanted

viti

Glad to hear that the fall was at low speed & no serious injury!

I've tried quite a few EUCs (Solowheel, Airwheel, IPS, Monowheel, NineBot, several generic ones, to name a few) due to my job ;) ), and the only ones so far that have been impossible to overlean (for a 70 kg guy), are the SW Classic and Xtreme. As Edwin_rm said, even if you manage to push them down a bit, they just act like a spring and try to restore the level immidiately. BTW, the first overleaning crash I had with Airwheel X8 was exactly due to the fact that I thought it would act the same, when pushed hard. Found out on the ground, that it did not. It just let me go... :) A friend of mine managed to kind of outlean SW Classic, when the battery was almost dead & and he was pushing really hard (beyond tiltback) to catch the train – not a wise move to make anyway. 

Obviously there is some different programming going on in Solowheels – as they are the only wheels (correct me if I'm wrong), which don't beep. Because there's no need to. :) 

And last but not least – my Xtreme goes to ~24 km/h, when the tiltback gets really uncomfortable. 22 km/h is the "official" top speed and is quite comfortable to ride. Yes, the range is not that great, but everything else is. You'll get what you pay for, what can I say... ;)

Safe riding - and if there's a chance, just try the Xtreme! ;)

On 2/21/2016 at 7:29 AM, viti said:

It happened so fast I had no time to 'think about it'. :(

I just 'somehow' fell to the ground.

I felt an impact on my head.....

I've had a similar type of experience during one of my falls.

One day, while riding at a very slow super safe speed, I got too close to a wall, and my right pedal touched the wall. Even thou I was going slow, the pedal to wall impact sent me into a spinout, and I fell backwards and hit the back of my head against the pavement (no helmet). Ended up going to emergency room.

I can normally react to anything, but for this the fall was instant! Meaning the instant the wheel touched the wall, my head hit the floor. I never saw myself fall. It was completely impossible to avoid the head hit, as techniques such as the often suggested jude rolls require you to know the fall is incoming. I never saw the fall coming. Not all falls are avoidable. Sooner or later, for all of us, our number comes up, and we go down.

Moral of the story: wearing protection is vital for every ride. You never know.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 king song eu's

Ks-18 680wh

Ks-14 800w 680wh

Ks-14 500w 174wh

I have over leaned on the ks-14 800w.... no helmet, no pads, shorts and t-shirt and fell forward doing in excess of 30 km/h.... it resulted in a separated shoulder.... I was lucky.... From then on I have respected the speed warnings..  I also have 13 stitches from the euc when I stepped off at stop the Euc leaned to the side and caught the pedal on the pavement causing it to accelerate rapidly.  It jumped in the air and the pedal cut my leg open

I have primarily been using the ks-18 due to its better stability at high speeds for tall riders... I ride at 25 - 29 km/h all the time.  

I think height should also be a factor in picking an euc or as I call it a monocycle.  The 18 inch wheel is much more stable when you are 5'10" and over.

1 hour ago, Team Electro said:

I have over leaned on the ks-14 800w.... no helmet, no pads, shorts and t-shirt and fell forward doing in excess of 30 km/h.... it resulted in a separated shoulder.... I was lucky.... From then on I have respected the speed warnings..  I also have 13 stitches from the euc when I stepped off at stop the Euc leaned to the side and caught the pedal on the pavement causing it to accelerate rapidly.  It jumped in the air and the pedal cut my leg open

Uhh, sounds like your accidents have been much more serious than mine. ...

Thank's for sharing.

Reading around here at these forums for about 3 months now it seems to me, that (serious) accidents with Uni's are much more common to everyone than one might think. ... Mhh. On youtube you'll find mostly videos of happy riders riding very easily in just shirt and shorts. (without protection). ...

And having an accident seems not to be especially common to the new riders. - There seems to be a 'second wave of accidents' when people as a rider think they 'know  now how to ride' a Uni. ... interesting. ...

2 hours ago, Team Electro said:

I have over leaned on the ks-14 800w.... no helmet, no pads, shorts and t-shirt and fell forward doing in excess of 30 km/h...

Did the KS-14 tilted back and you pushed harder? I hope you're ok now.

• 4 weeks later...

It did not tilt back... The shoulder still has issues but I will Rehab it..... been riding the 18inch everyday over 15 miles a day and it has been rock solid feels great at high speeds.  I would be comfortable going 25-30 mph with a more powerful motor and battery.  

Archived