faceplanted

viti

Hi All,

I want to inform you of an accident I had two days ago. (I have about 170 Km overall on my IPS Zero)

I was on my way home on my IPS Zero, driving in the middle of a small side street at night  as, only 150 meters from home, I consciously thought: let's accelerate to drive home fast. I wore a helmet and motorbike gloves. Estimated speed about 8 to 10 Km/h.

I accelerated fast leaning forward. But this time I accelerated to fast (=overleaning forward).

I felt the pedals going down ... with me falling forward.

It happened so fast I had no time to 'think about it'. :(

I just 'somehow' fell to the ground.

I felt an impact on my head and felt that I was bleeding 'somewhere in the face'. Was conscious all the time.

Fortunately nobody/nothing was around to be hurt/damaged.

I hurried home to find the following:

- I must somehow tried to hold of the fall with my hands but nevertheless I faceplanted and the helmet and my nose had direct contact with the pavement.

- I have a wound on the nose, nose a bit swollen and minor bruises on the knee's.

- No bruise on the palms (thanks to the gloves) just a bid of pain because of my weight.

- Today I still have some pain in the right shoulder, arm - will recover, no problem.

I'm convinced the helmet took most of the force of the impact on my head and prevented further trouble and pain.

PIctures:

v_fp_02_nose.thumb.jpg.debe5a9e596c7ca82

Nose: about 1 hour after impact

v_fp_03_helmet.thumb.jpg.e591afe35223f93

Helmet: the edge of the helmet was smooth before the accident!

v_fp_01_gloves.thumb.jpg.210d464d75662e1

Gloves: on the right you see the left glove. The leather surface of the palms looked similar before the accident.

The Zero is ok. - Just a minor scratch on one side.

I am going to get rid of my EUC. The accidents convinced me. I am not crazy enough to risk my bones, my head, my health, my life. Call me old-fashioned. 

I wish you a fast recovery and I wish us all better EUCs that are reliable! 

These posts got me spooked too.  While I won't get rid of my wheels I think I'll change the way I ride.  Just won't go as fast as I can run it off and if I do I'm going to ride as if it's going to cut off on me any second.  I don't see any posts on the Solowheel board about faceplants and cut offs.  I assume their quality control is much higher.  Might look into an Xtreme.

Come on people .......... Motorcycles , skiing , scuba diving , mountain biking , mountain climbing ,skydiving ........

ITS ALL UNSAFE !!!!!!  Wear proper protective gear for the activity and reduce the injury to minor or none when there is a failure with the human or equipment. I have received minor injuries from all the sports listed  above that would have been major or death if I did not have the proper protective gear . Live life ! enjoy your EUCs ! Just use common sense and wear proper gear .

Cheers !

The described accident was overleaning. You can overlean any wheel.

I think, every fun sport has its risks. I have a powerful motorbike and i know the dos and don´ts.

If i lean the bike into a curve and pull the throttle hard, i will not come through. Just physics.

I dive. Absolute incredible fun - and absolute deadly if you ignore the many rules.

I skate, and the clothes sometimes have looked really used afterwards. After a fall, i couldn´t say if it was a stone or only my poor capabilities.
So what, i don´t sell my skates, because if i do, i can´t be one of the 100 skater every month in my town.

The physics are there and i think, there is no protection for overleaning, you can only ride with caution and not using the last 20% of power.

I believe that to help you understand the EUC dynamics there are 3 important falls in the learning process (you should get over): over-accelerating; over-braking, and over-speeding. After that it's mainly the external factors that we have no control over we should worry about (except if you want to learn the funny stuff ofcourse).

Thank's for all your wishes.

@ScooterB your decision ... - But here it was not 'an unsecure uni' this was clearly me going beyond the laws of physics. ...

@BA-B8 mhh onestly I think it is NOT possible for a person 'to ride always as it might cut down' - and if: it is not fun to ride in a constant state of alertness.

I agree here with @Pilotguy - maybe we have to think of unicycling as a SPORT. - And get rid of the idea that it will become a common means of transport for the masses.

4 minutes ago, Sonopanic said:

Over breaking ?

Take your Q5 and do an emergency brake. After reaching 30 degree backward tilt it will shut off. I did this with ease on an Airwheel X3 and I can do it also on an IPS T350, not as easy but I can do it. Have to try it with the MSuper if I feel confident. Braking power will be an issue in any standard. Power shut off is not a positive result in a test.

19 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Take your Q5 and do an emergency brake. After reaching 30 degree backward tilt it will shut off. I did this with ease on an Airwheel X3 and I can do it also on an IPS T350, not as easy but I can do it. Have to try it with the MSuper if I feel confident. Braking power will be an issue in any standard. Power shut off is not a positive result in a test.

With strong breaking the "stronger/bigger" wheels seem to tend to fry their motherboard. Imho one Ninebot P and one Kingsong motherboard were reported here fried by courageous breaking?

3 hours ago, Jurgen said:

I believe that to help you understand the EUC dynamics there are 3 important falls in the learning process (you should get over): over-accelerating; over-braking, and over-speeding. After that it's mainly the external factors that we have no control over we should worry about (except if you want to learn the funny stuff ofcourse).

Over- anything can be dangerous on a wheel these days . Just dont over- do to minimize the self inflicted risks and pick the safest wheel to minimize the inherent euc risks outside of the rider's control. Assume you will fall and gear up accordingly. Other than that its a dangerous sport but no more dangerous than many others.

5 hours ago, Cloud said:

Over- anything can be dangerous on a wheel these days . Just dont over- do to minimize the self inflicted risks and pick the safest wheel to minimize the inherent euc risks outside of the rider's control. Assume you will fall and gear up accordingly. Other than that its a dangerous sport but no more dangerous than many others.

Just do it like I do. :P

there is no gain without pain.

Think of EUC riding as a rather extreme sport, and then compare it with extreme low altitude wingsuit diving through the city.

Suddenly you start to realize safety isn't that bad:D:D:D

No really, enough joking, it's dangerous, you can (will) get hurt: gear up with the best wheel and safety gear you can buy, keep a margin of 20-25% (batt and speed), and stay allert at all times. If you are too  tired, injured, not feeling like it, drunk, doped up, not focussed for whatever reason, or the terrain is high risk (unknown territory at night, next to high speed vehicles), etc. reconsider if taking a bus or taxi is not the smartest decision. There's always another day you can ride the wheel if you're smart and carefull.

12 hours ago, BA-B8 said:

These posts got me spooked too.  While I won't get rid of my wheels I think I'll change the way I ride.  Just won't go as fast as I can run it off and if I do I'm going to ride as if it's going to cut off on me any second.  I don't see any posts on the Solowheel board about faceplants and cut offs.  I assume their quality control is much higher.  Might look into an Xtreme.

At Solowheel's pricing which is double to quadriple to that of a standard EUC, they should be able to provide a very high standard unit. 

16 hours ago, BA-B8 said:

3 hours ago, SlowMo said:

At Solowheel's pricing which is double to quadriple to that of a standard EUC, they should be able to provide a very high standard unit. 

The Xtreme has quite a low max speed of 16 km/h stated - so this should help to avoid (most) cut offs? But with just 196Wh for the battery pack it should be no problem to overlean, especially when driving encouraged and battery pack getting to lower charge...

Imho choosing an EUC from one of the reputable brands with _much higher_ battery capacity should provide you more safety regarding faceplants - especially if you ride them within the limits of an Xtreme ;)

12 hours ago, Chriull said:

The Xtreme has quite a low max speed of 16 km/h stated - so this should help to avoid (most) cut offs? But with just 196Wh for the battery pack it should be no problem to overlean, especially when driving encouraged and battery pack getting to lower charge...

Imho choosing an EUC from one of the reputable brands with _much higher_ battery capacity should provide you more safety regarding faceplants - especially if you ride them within the limits of an Xtreme ;)

At my weight (~65 Kg) it is impossible to overlean the SW Xtreme. I have many times fallen fowards and it always catches me (unlike my GotWay) and, of course, it immediately accelerates violently afterwards. Even on a steep incline I could not overlean it. It is very safe design. If you ride the max tiltback it runs steady at 20 km/h. The lack of range and speed are its downfalls vs the competition.So in the end, I still choose to ride my faster and longer ranged, significantly less safe Gotway.

However, for anyone out there that thinks safety is the absolute most important thing, then I 100% recommend them SoloWheel.

7 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

At my weight (~65 Kg) it is impossible to overlean the SW Xtreme. I have many times fallen fowards and it always catches me (unlike my GotWay) and, of course, it immediately accelerates violently afterwards. Even on a steep incline I could not overlean it. It is very safe design. If you ride the max tiltback it runs steady at 20 km/h. The lack of range and speed are its downfalls vs the competition.So in the end, I still choose to ride my faster and longer ranged, significantly less safe Gotway.

However, for anyone out there that thinks safety is the absolute most important thing, then I 100% recommend them SoloWheel.

Thanks for the insight! Do you know if your experience is also true for heavier riders - as i will never reach 65kg... ;)

Which battery capacity has your Gotway? And do you think the Gotway has just less power to safely support you, or is it more the behaviour/firmware?

Could it be, that SW uses LiFePo4 cells instead of the "normal" LiIon cells used by the other wheels? From what i have read, they should be able to support the motor over their whole discharge curve with quite similar power, and not start to get weak at the end like the "normal" LiIon? Imho that was also more or less the conclusion of  @EUC Extremewhen he tried LiFePo4 cells with his ?Gotway?.

Additionaly ?some/most/many? of the very high capacity battery packs in recent Wheels are daisy-chained and so not 100% in parallel - which limits a little bit the huge advantage many parallel ("normal" LiIon) cells would give... ;(

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

Could it be, that SW uses LiFePo4 cells instead of the "normal" LiIon cells used by the other wheels? From what i have read, they should be able to support the motor over their whole discharge curve with quite similar power, and not start to get weak at the end like the "normal" LiIon? Imho that was also more or less the conclusion of  @EUC Extremewhen he tried LiFePo4 cells with his ?Gotway?.

I think Solowheel has stopped using LiFePo's in their products, I think it was NMC what they currently have (Sony VC3 or something like that). Also, as far as I know, Vee never used LiFePo-cells (lithium iron phosphate) but high-discharge RC LiPo's (lithium polymer).

I think the solowheels have less faceplant issues due to the lower top speed. The 30kmh models likely trade low speed torque for higher peak power at higher RPM. Increasing voltage might be a bit safer than the way they make the high speed models at the moment.

Viti, good to know you wear protective gear, and for the most part, ok, could have been worst, even at only 10 km/h, I am constantly making my Q3 at 15 km/h so over lean and going down is sure to happen at anytime, for me, and has, I also ride home in the dark the majority of the time, try not seeing that stick or pothole come up on you, it's fun. You learn never to accelerate fast, ever, though it still happens, you have to always expect it can happen and be prepared. I am not going to stop riding them. Learn your ride and be precaution....peace brother...

Archived