New 16x will not charge past 98%?

No1up

DarknessBot shows 98% with 83.54 volts. Will not at all charge last this. Any recommendations? Maybe a way to re calibrate the batteries? 

What charger do you have;  Smart Charger?  Does all the green lights in the wheel come on with full charge?  What does the kingsong app report - max distance = km?

17 minutes ago, No1up said:

DarknessBot shows 98% with 83.54 volts. Will not at all charge last this. Any recommendations? Maybe a way to re calibrate the batteries? 

You have another charger available?

Can you measure the chargers no load output voltage and the battery voltage compared to the from the wheel reported voltage?

Charger shows, at least for some short time a red light once connected?

You charge until the green light?

If you ride until voltage goes down a bit, it can be charged again to 83.54V?

If you make some short rides and charging cycles, does the final charge voltage increase?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chriull said:

You have another charger available?

Can you measure the chargers no load output voltage and the battery voltage compared to the from the wheel reported voltage?

Charger shows, at least for some short time a red light once connected?

You charge until the green light?

If you ride until voltage goes down a bit, it can be charged again to 83.54V?

If you make some short rides and charging cycles, does the final charge voltage increase?

I have the stock charger and I have the ewheels charger with the screen readout so I think I can get you all the info. I have 40 miles on it now. It’s never had a 100% 84.4V charge.. I’ve left it charging all night with the stock charger and still that’s the highest it will go. I’m not worried so much about the charge but I don’t want to start having battery problems right out of the box… let me crash it a few times jeez lol

22 minutes ago, No1up said:

I have the stock charger and I have the ewheels charger with the screen readout so I think I can get you all the info. I have 40 miles on it now. It’s never had a 100% 84.4V charge.. I’ve left it charging all night with the stock charger and still that’s the highest it will go. I’m not worried so much about the charge but I don’t want to start having battery problems right out of the box… let me crash it a few times jeez lol

You can not trust the screen readout from the smartcharger - it can easily show incorrect values /  be 1 volt off.   It would be really interesting if you could measure what the voltage is at the chargers output terminals when it has done a full charge and green for an hour.   But to get this measure at the same time as the charger is connected to the wheel, you must either measure in the second charging port on the wheel ( requires a Lenovo adapter), og take the lid of the charger and measure directly on the board - dangerous for the "electrically ignorant" ;)  The charger should finish with 84 Volts,  If the voltage is lower than this, even when the charger is unplugged from the wheel - then there's is probably something wrong with the charger.

As always, notify your reseller so that the problem is 'on record' before the warranty expires! They may have some things to check.

All that said, the way wheels and chargers measure voltage is via the cheapest possible method so I don't actually trust their absolute numbers. I do trust relative numbers, so when the max charge voltage starts to drop I get concerned...

Nevertheless, to assure myself and to double check what the wheel reports as well as what the charger reports, I'd open it up and use a multimeter to measure the actual battery voltage on both sides. The thing that matters is the actual battery voltage.

Whether or not you open it up, do be sure to tell your reseller in order to protect your warranty. As reliable as the 16x batteries are, stuff still does happen. The battery warranty is only 6 months from date of manufacture, this is industry practice for all Li Ion batteries. By the time you get the wheel, you're probably 3 months in...

(for reference, my 16XS.LR charges to 83.8 after 3200 miles but my S18 only hits 83.4 after 1000 miles)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, No1up said:

I can get you all the info

Great!

9 hours ago, No1up said:

I’m not worried so much about the charge but I don’t want to start having battery problems right out of the box

Hopefully everything can be settled!

The max voltage is 84V, not 84.4V (ewheels constantly and wrongly has that false 84.4V number on their website).

83.54V (4.177V of 4.20V per cell) might very well just be inside the voltage measurement inaccuracy.

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

As always, notify your reseller so that the problem is 'on record' before the warranty expires!

This is a great tip. Just ask if charging to "only" 83.54V indicates a problem. Then you have proof towards the dealer, and maybe they have something to say about it. Likely this is nothing.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tawpie said:

(for reference, my 16XS.LR charges to 83.8 after 3200 miles but my S18 only hits 83.4 after 1000 miles)

@Tawpie Does all the green lights come on ? ( 16X )

Edited by Robse
@ added :-)

18 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Yes!

i am about to solve a problem with my 16X - smartcharger problems... stops at 83,1 V - 99% sure to have isolatet the problem down to a little too smart smart charger ;)

• Like 1