Ninebot App -- Rider Nearby

dbfrese

Anybody know how the "Rider Nearby" feature works? I uploaded my location, and it has stayed "stuck" in the same place ever since. This weekend I went "ninebotting" some 65 miles away from home and wanted to change the location, but there doesn't seem to be any way to update where one is currently riding. Also, how do you "log out" of the app?

The interface could stand a few improvements, not the least of which would be input from a native speaker of English. "Find vehicles nearby successfully!" and "You have withdrawn from the speed limit." for example, get the idea across, they are amusing for a while, but are just rather awkward.

If it's still not updating the location, you can uninstall and reinstall the app.  When you open Riders Nearby for the first time, it will ask if it can use your location.  Allow that and check Always Allow if asked.

If it still does not work, you might need to go into APPs in your Phone Settings and allow location there.

Yeah, someone should offer them an English Translation for each of the functions.

Thanks, SuperSport. So the app is updating your current location for you automatically? Does it update every time you connect to the 9bot1, or does it update your location constantly as you zip along on the EU? I'm just trying to figure out what I should expect from this feature in the app.

Honestly, I'm not really sure how often it updates the location to others.  I know that when I have it open, it follows me along in the map view.  It appears to work the same in iOS or Android.

I just Tapped Rider Nearby at the top of the app and Cleared Location Info and Exited.  When entering the Rider Nearby feature again, it asked if I wanted to update my info again.  It appears that MAYBE it only updates your current location when you do this again, and not while you are riding?

Clearing the location seemed to work for me. 

I would advise against leaving on the location services in the iOS settings, as it would allow anyone to discover your home address - and consequently where your Ninebot is kept. This could invite thieves to your house looking for a free NB!

Paranoid maybe, but better safe than sorry.  The cycling community has been suffering stolen bikes from using GPS tracking apps such as Mapmyride, Strava and Garmin Connect. 

That's good advice.  I never gave it much thought.  Someone would be hard pressed to get away with anything at my house, due to my security, and my German Shepherd, but it's still better safe than sorry, as you say.

We are currently having a rash of burglaries in the neighborhood right now too, but just random automobile break ins.  I feel sorry for them when they get caught though, people don't screw around up here when it comes to catching and punishing thieves.  This IS El Dorado County....  Men, Women, and Children carry guns up here.

If someone did break in and steal my Ninebot (and nothing else) it most likely would have been stolen by someone who already owns one, since only the Ninebot app can detect where they are and you have to upload your location data to see it!

That being said, that's one of the reasons I want to be able to delete the current location that's showing, because it does indicate where I live.

That's a good reason to write down your serial number too.  If it's stolen, the only way they could remove that is by replacing the Motherboard.  You'd still have to find it, but if you ran across one that looked awfully familiar, it might help.

On 2/29/2016 at 2:02 PM, DrSoong said:

my location is updated when i ride, so I can see the blue dot moving on the map.

But the riders nearby (2 people in a radius of about 80km) never changed their positions since one month.

I have noticed that too. Makes me doubt the usefulness of this feature as it is designed now. Perhaps it the feature will be upgraded in a future release.

Archived