KS 16X more comfortable than MCM5 v2?

I bought a MCM5 v2 3 months ago, and am loving it! Only thing is the MCM5 feels a bit squirrely to me above 15-18 mph. I'd like to get something more stable/comfortable for faster (20-25 mph) and longer rides. A V11 would be nice, but I hear they're having too many problems these days for my taste. Safety is very important to me. I hear the KS 16X and 18XL are solid, dependable wheels that would be good options for me. I'm leaning towards the 16X because I like the nimbleness of the MCM5 (I like to turn and slalom). But is it different enough from the MCM5 that it would be worth it? If it matters, I'm 6' 0", 160 lbs, 61 y.o.

Edited by tigerucla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerucla said:

I bought a MCM5 v2 3 months ago, and am loving it! Only thing is the MCM5 feels a bit squirrely to me above 15-18 mph. I'd like to get something more stable/comfortable for faster (20-25 mph) and longer rides. A V11 would be nice, but I hear they're having too many problems these days for my taste. Safety is very important to me. I hear the KS 16X and 18XL are solid, dependable wheels that would be good options for me. I'm leaning towards the 16X because I like the nimbleness of the MCM5 (I like to turn and slalom). But is it different enough from the MCM5 that it would be worth it? If it matters, I'm 6' 0", 160 lbs, 61 y.o.

18XL is solid cruiser wheel at 20-25MPH. It simply goes straight. People say 16x real max speed is 27mph.. (At 25 you would be riding close to euc "limits" it could be dangerous! - Cutout..)

If weight isn't something that bothers you. Look at something bigger. Because i think 16x won't be a big change in speed. Doh having 16x3 tire would 100% feel better than 14x2.5..

Where are you riding asphalt/pavement? Or are you going off-road?

Bigger wheel diameter - smother ride at speed also.

Squirrely - maybe  your tire are pumped to high? Lowering psi could fix the riding on "knife" feeling. If  i pump my 18xl tire more than 30psi, i also get that feeling.. (I weight 280lbs and ride at 28psi.)

Maybe your tire isn't "centered" as euc takes up speed, it wants to start to wobble.. Picking up the euc by pedals and let it "free spin", you could check if tire is centered - if it starts to shake left/right at speed = not centered tire. If it doesn't shake = everything is Okey.

If you really like v11 - you could ask, if possible to get v11 with better board.. As they should replace it by default..

Edited by Funky

16X never stops surprising me how far you can push it and not bad for off-roading too. I wouldn't want to risk going too much faster on any EUC wheel out right now but suspension wheels are 100% the direction I'm leaning towards atm

I've never ridden a MCM5, but if I'm not mistaken the tire is narrower than the 3 inch on the 16X. This will make the 16X a slightly more comfy ride, especially on lower psi.

I find the 16X very nimble and ideal for offroading, but it won't really be much faster than the MCM5 and you'd probably be using it for the same things. I think if you really want a huge improvement in comfort than a suspension wheel is probably in order.

Edited by Tazarinho
changed to 'not mistaken'
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, especially Tazarinho answering my questions. It's too bad the V11 is having issues, because that would probably be the way to go otherwise. Now I'm leaning towards the 18XL since I hear it's safer and more comfortable at 25 mph and beyond- not that I intend to ride that fast very often, but I'd like to have as much headroom as possible. I wish it had a 3" wide tire, but they didn't ask me when they designed it. I'll probably wait awhile to see if they can solve the V11 issues, though.

• Like 3

Now, this is just me and while I consider myself a competent rider I am by no means very good…

If you're thinking 20-25 will be your desired cruising speed, I'd really encourage you to look at the 18" wheel diameter. At those speeds on a 16", I have to dedicate all my attention to the road because irregularities are a big deal—the nimbleness of the 16" form factor becomes a serious handicap. On my (suspension) 18", at 20-25 my primary concern is how much battery I'm using—the quality of the surface ahead is secondary. The equivalent no-worry-about-the-road speed on the 16X is about 18 mph.

Edited by Tawpie

Getting the 18XL will be a major upgrade, my guess is you will probably sell the MCM5 when you try other wheels. I don't think the MCM5 a good wheel to learn on at all. I was happy the day I sold it. lol I maybe getting an S18 to test out for a while because I want to learn more about suspension wheels, I don't care what anyone thinks about the S18 I'm beyond excited. Getting any King Song wheel is a good choice, they make really pretty looking wheels that feel good to ride and that's the most important part in my opinion

18Xl>16x>Mcm. Personally, I think the mcm5 is too big to be uber portable, but too small to be comfy. It seems to fall in the middle of any REAL benefit over the other choices.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 2 months later...

I have a v11 and it is excellent for going at the speeds you want.  As for slalom and turning, it is very predictable.  When you lean it over, it holds the angle, unlike some wheels that are stable but at some angle suddenly lean sharply.  I don't have MCM5 but I have the Mten3 and Tesla v2 and I know what you mean by squirrelly.  The V11 is far more stable than both of them, especially at high speed.  

I also agree with @Tawpie that having suspension makes it safer.  I've had situations where I didn't see a big bump on the road and went over it with no problems.  On a non-suspension wheel, I might have lost my balance.

Re reliability, I have had zero problems with mine.  None at all.  If you're worried about its reliability, I recommend buying from a reputable dealer, or get a used wheel from a rider you trust. 

Edited by 360rumors